Windows 10: What would cause some icons to not display?

Discus and support What would cause some icons to not display? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mr_FiZzY0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ekvemv/what_would_cause_some_icons_to_not_display/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mr_FiZzY0, Jan 6, 2020.

1. What would cause some icons to not display?

/u/Mr_FiZzY0, Jan 6, 2020

2. Some icons will not display properly

Hi,

Having blank application icons on your desktop can be caused by many factors such as file corruption, icon cache issues, and more. To narrow down the issue, we need to ask a few questions:

• Were there any changes made to your computer settings prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you reset the Windows Explorer process from
    Task Manager which may correct this type of issue. Below are the steps to do it:

• Right-click on your task bar, then choose Task Manager.
    • Highlight Windows Explorer on the Processes
      tab.
    • Click Restart.

You can also try running the System File Checker tool and
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management
    with the steps on this
    link
    . This will scan and correct system file corruption which may be causing your icons to be blank.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Icons not displaying

A while ago the icons for certain types of images began to not display in detail, list, or small icons view. Instead they simply display as a weird folder with 4 squares in the upper right corner, seen to the right >
    What would cause some icons to not display? 55bd7c98-d5d1-4bcb-b7cf-89235b0a6740.png

This isn't exactly a terrible issue, but it is quite ugly compared to what it should be. I have tried rebuilding the icon cache manually, and that did not help.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Connor Watson, Jan 6, 2020
  4. What would cause some icons to not display?

Desktop icons scattering after connecting secondary display

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    2. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    3. Are you using a HDMI cable or a VGA cable to connect the display?
    4. How are you re-arranging the icons?
    5. Have you tried connecting the display first and then switching on the PC?

I suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Try aligning the icons to grid.

1. Right click on the desktop and click on View.
    2. Now click on auto arrange icons and click on
      align icons to grid.

Method 2:

Try updating the display and monitor drivers. Refer the article
    update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

What would cause some icons to not display?

1. What would cause some icons to not display? - Similar Threads - cause icons display

2. What would cause a software not to open?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What would cause a software not to open?: I installed Iriun Webcam version 8.2.4 about 2 hours ago and I have been here since, trying to open it. It just won't open. What could be the problem?...
  3. What would cause a software not to open?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What would cause a software not to open?: I installed Iriun Webcam version 8.2.4 about 2 hours ago and I have been here since, trying to open it. It just won't open. What could be the problem?...
  4. What would cause a software not to open?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What would cause this? These errors keep happening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What would cause this? These errors keep happening: I checked for Windows updates and the driver updates that I know how to check. Sometimes it happens when I'm in the middle of a game, and sometimes the computer is idle and it will auto-restart. This last time with these error messages, I was playing a game and the screen...
  6. What would cause this? These errors keep happening

What would cause this? These errors keep happening: I checked for Windows updates and the driver updates that I know how to check. Sometimes it happens when I'm in the middle of a game, and sometimes the computer is idle and it will auto-restart. This last time with these error messages, I was playing a game and the screen...
  7. Only some pictures are displayed as thumbnail and some are icons

Only some pictures are displayed as thumbnail and some are icons: I have the same issue as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/only-some-pictures-are-displayed-as-thumbnail-and/b797b16d-2782-4259-b63c-10cf6b8a3445 and went thru all the same steps.When I did the very last one - create a new user profile, it did NOT have the...
  8. Only some pictures are displayed as thumbnail and some are icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Only some pictures are displayed as thumbnail and some are icons: I have the same issue as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/only-some-pictures-are-displayed-as-thumbnail-and/b797b16d-2782-4259-b63c-10cf6b8a3445 and went thru all the same steps.When I did the very last one - create a new user profile, it did NOT have the...
  9. Combining taskbar buttons causes some icons to not display.

in Windows 10 Support
    Combining taskbar buttons causes some icons to not display.: When I choose "Always, hide labels" in the taskbar options, it makes some icons not display properly. For instance, Firefox, at far right in screenshots. Windows 10 21HI 181129
  10. What would cause this dialog to randomly appear?

in Windows 10 Support
    What would cause this dialog to randomly appear?: Hey guys, was using my PC and this popped up randomly. [img] Have no idea what it's about. I've just left the window open for now. 127449