Windows 10: What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There's a thread in the News section called: What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 So to put the opposite side of the coin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DavidY, Jun 25, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

There's a thread in the News section called:
    What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

So to put the opposite side of the coin it would be nice to change one letter and find out:

But I'm not sure what the answer is? Obviously Windows 10 is newer, and supported for longer, but that's an appeal to the mind rather than the heart.

Virtual Desktops might be one, although I have to admit I haven't yet figured out how to use them to best effect.

So are there any features you love about Windows 10?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Edit: So the list so far looks like this:
    My personal 5:
    • Print to PDF
    • TaskView - Virtual Desktops
    • Windowed Universal Apps (No longer full screen)
    • The Winkey-X 'power tasks' menu
    • Post-RTM Insider Program
    Some general features:
    • Ability to natively mount ISOs
    • Access to Windows Store
    • Cortana
    • Enhanced UI Snapping (4 corners now, rather than just the two sides)
    • Fast Startup
    • File Explorer revamped
    • File Copy window improved - multiple copy processes can be controlled and paused from one window
    • General Look and Feel
    • Improved Console UI (Command Prompts)
    • Improved Universal Apps
    • Live Tiles which display info without opening the app or a browser
    • Microsoft Edge (although true love will probably come after a couple more updates to add functionality)
    • New Start Menu
    • Recovery Options and Recovery Drive
    • Reduced Resource Usage (both Disk and system)
    • Task Manager revamped
    • Universal apps can be resized to "Gadget" size
    • <Winkey>-<Printscreen>: Saves a .png screenshot of the current screen in a Screenshots folder

If you have the right hardware:
    • 3D Builder
    • DirectX 12
    • Hololens
    • Device Encryption for Home/Core version (this is a bit of a cheat since very few computers running Windows 7 will have the right hardware to support this)
    • Windows Hello biometric security

And some 'head rather than heart' features:
    • Having a baseline anti-malware product installed as part of the OS was a big step forward (and helps protect the rest of us too)
    • Convergence of platforms (XBOX, PC, Tablet and Phone into a single OS)
    • Supported for longer
    • Windows as a Service (ie, more reliable patches and more timely)

Keep the suggestions coming... *Smile

:)

DavidY, Jun 25, 2015

2. Each of my computers upgraded to a different version of Windows 10

Hello,

If your computers had Windows Home version, they would upgrade to Windows 10 Home version.

Did you have Windows Pro version on the desktop?

What edition of Windows will I get as part of the free upgrade?

When you upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you’ll stay on an edition of Windows that is similar to the one you’re currently running. For example, if you’re running Windows 7 Home Premium, you’ll receive an upgrade to
    Windows 10 Home.

The following tables show what edition of Windows 10 you'll receive based on your current edition of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Smittychat., Jun 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Free Upgrade

What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?

When you upgrade, you’ll stay on like-to-like editions of Windows. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium will upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 72

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 83

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows Phone 8.15
    Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.14
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro N).

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 25, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Oh well. I like the new(updated) start menu... access to the store vs WIn7. And.. that's about it.

BunnyJ, Jun 25, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Some of these are controversial, and some may like them and some may not... Some of them people despise, largely because they misunderstand how they will benefit them (Like Windows as a Service).

* TaskView - Virtual Desktops
    * Reduced Resource Usage (both Disk and system)
    * Improved Universal Apps
    * Convergence of XBOX, PC, Tablet and Phone into a single OS
    * New Start Menu
    * Microsoft Edge (although true love will probably come after a couple more updates to add functionality)
    * Improved Console UI (Command Prompts)
    * Enhanced UI Snapping (4 corners now, rather than just the two sides)
    * Windowed Universal Apps (No longer full screen)
    * Hololens
    * 3D Builder
    * DirectX 12
    * Insider Program (even after RTM, we will get new features on a regular basis)
    * Windows as a Service (ie, more reliable patches and more timely)

Mystere, Jun 25, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for those.

Will they all be available to people who upgrade (assuming same hardware) from Windows 7 though? I wasn't sure about this for instance?

DavidY, Jun 25, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Hololens is an add-on, you have to buy it, but it requires Windows 10, so you can't use it without it.

Mystere, Jun 25, 2015
  8. rmonroe36 Win User

I'm looking forward to an improved (more capable) Cortana on my desktop. Cortana on my Windows Phone (Lumia 635) is more capable than on my desktop. This feature could prove to be a boon to handicapped users. I would like to see Cortana open any installed program, send an email to a specific contact, make phone calls, etc.

Rich

rmonroe36, Jun 25, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I really like how some Universal apps can be resized to "Gadget" size, like Weather, if I want it to stay on the desktop. I don't do it, but now I can if I want to.

Cliff S, Jun 25, 2015
  10. Burgurne Win User
    Lucky you. In Denmark there is no Cortana at all, and there will not be, says Microsoft Denmark, in a long time ... if ever!

Else I'm on for DirectX12 and the look of the desktop.

Burgurne, Jun 25, 2015
  11. Vladimir Win User
    What attracts me more:

Virtual Desktops
    Reduced Resource Usage
    Windowed Universal Apps
    Convergence of platforms
    DirectX 12
    Post-RTM Insider Program

Vladimir, Jun 25, 2015
  12. I like these features/improvements.

lehnerus2000, Jun 25, 2015
  13. swarfega Win User

I just like the overall look of 10.

swarfega, Jun 25, 2015
  14. bromanbro Win User
    What overall look? In 1310, I have a purple taskbar, yet title bars don't conform to anything but white...

Plus theming differences between Settings, Control Panel, Explorer, etc.

If I didn't want DX12/gaming improvments, I would still be on 7/8. 8 never forces you to use Settings.

bromanbro, Jun 25, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree with @swarfega, I just like the look and feel of WIn10. Why?? It's a subjective evaluation and for me it's just more fresh and new compared to either Win7 or Win8.1.

And as usual.. Your millage may vary
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 25, 2015
Thema:

1. What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - You’ll Love Upgrade

2. Love Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Love Windows 7...: In the past, Windows 7 is a good version of Windows, as it is the fixed version of Windows Vista and many of people here used Windows 7 a lot. Windows 7 is a legend version of Windows.Shame that Microsoft ended servicing Windows 7For now, I'd like to take a look at it, make...
  3. Love Windows 7...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Love Windows 7...: In the past, Windows 7 is a good version of Windows, as it is the fixed version of Windows Vista and many of people here used Windows 7 a lot. Windows 7 is a legend version of Windows.Shame that Microsoft ended servicing Windows 7For now, I'd like to take a look at it, make...
  4. What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7: Hi, We will being doing a number of upgrades from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise. Other than uninstalling incompatible applications and installing newer versions, I am concerned what the users will lose once the upgrades are complete. In other words, I...
  5. upgraded from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    upgraded from Windows 7 to 10: Just upgraded today and I'm amazed at how slow the startup is.. Did some research and saw advice to run 'crapifier.exe' But when I try to run it I just get "application error". Also my searches 'decrapifier Application Error' gets no results. Seems odd. Can anyone suggest a...
  6. I would love to upgrade to Windows 10 from WIndows 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I would love to upgrade to Windows 10 from WIndows 8: I have Windows 8 on this laptop. I know when Windows 10 first came out they were letting everybody download it for free. Now my question is do you have to pay for it now or is there a way you can still download windows 10 for free. I would love to upgrade to Windows 10....
  7. Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10: Microsoft announced today that it will be launching Windows 10 on July 29th, encouraging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to reserve their free upgrade with a notification in their task bar. However, while the company has been busy highlighting all the shiny new features in the...
  8. What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Today Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will launch on July 29, and in documentation detailing the upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to the new OS version, the company provides us with info on the features that will be removed when you decide to take advantage of the free...
  9. Five new features you’ll love in Paint 3D in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Five new features you’ll love in Paint 3D in Windows 10: [img] Five new features in Paint 3D 3D Made Easy Remix3D.com Community Realistic Textures Unique MEME Creator 3D Doodle Our beloved Paint has gotten a major makeover, and it’s better than ever. In celebration, we are highlighting five of our favorite new features....
  10. Windows 10: What you love about 7 and love about 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: What you love about 7 and love about 8: That's my current thinking so far with Windows 10. I find Microsoft did right by focusing first and foremost on the enterprise as that is the largest and most important demographic to address with every release. Windows 8 didn't really focus so much on the enterprise as...