Windows 10: What's a good codec package

Discus and support What's a good codec package in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've normally used K-Lite to update my codec pack in past versions of Windows. Will this work for Windows 10 or is there a better one out there I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jacatone, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jacatone Win User

What's a good codec package

I've normally used K-Lite to update my codec pack in past versions of Windows. Will this work for Windows 10 or is there a better one out there I should use?

:)

jacatone, Aug 13, 2015

2. Why can't i Play Music in k-light codect?

K-Light is just a free lightweight Codec package .

With a number of codecs .

Question is what is the format/codec of the music you are trying to play .

jje

jjegan---01, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Windows DVD app not working after installing Creators update

It appears that your computer has broken component of audio and video codecs. Download and install the official
    Microsoft Codec package and try playing a video again.

If that doesn't work, you use a third-party application to install the codec that could render any audio and video file types. You can try the following Codec packages:

• Shark Codec Package
    • K-lite Codec Pack - This is the one I'm currently using. This package have different editions which you can select to download depends on the needed codec
      components.

Let me know if anything I can help you with.

Winter Firefly, Aug 13, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

Instead of getting codecs, try using VLC as your media player, VLC has codecs for pretty much all formats built-in.

strollin, Aug 13, 2015
  5. jacatone Win User
    I've found VLC still needs a codec pack.

jacatone, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    Could you please inform what file VLC is not able to play.

Thank you

7. deeshmeee Win User
    MKV

deeshmeee, Jul 15, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

I have never had to install Codec pack with VLC. According to their site it will play MKV files. VideoLAN - VLC - Features

Winuser, Jul 15, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It plays MKV without ANY problems -- also will handle X265 (HEVC) too. I believe latest version will also handle Ultra HD (4K) movies too.

Have you actually TRIED playing an mkv file -- VLC has handled MKV FOR DONKEY'S YEARS !!!!.

I'd be glad of your screenshot showing what happens when VLC attempts to play an MKV file -- assuming the HDD isn't defective or the mkv file is bad.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 15, 2016
  10. Barman58 Win User
    You also have to consider the source of the MKV file,

The varieties in coding are vast and it could be that some files will only play on specific players due to non standard encoding - this is sometimes accidental but could also be a way to sell a particular player
    Also a lot of files available for download are actually Malware and will state they need a codec to play and will provide a link which actually downloads malware.

Barman58, Jul 15, 2016
  11. I install K-Lite Codec Pack Standard for several reasons:

1. to have a better video quality using MPC
    2. to be able to view video thumbnails
    3. to always get the latest MPCx64

Otherwise K-Lite Codec Pack Basic will suffice to support any video player.

TairikuOkami, Jul 15, 2016
  12. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Jul 15, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    if any mkv file says it needs extra objects / downloads to play it then it's not a genuine mkv file.

mkv is only a container -- like mp4 etc. The video if it conforms to the matroska standard will play in VLC --if it doesn't then I would be 100% suspicious of the file.

What is an MKV File and How Do You Play Them?

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What's a good codec package - Similar Threads - What's codec package

2. what's a good alternative to utorrent??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what's a good alternative to utorrent??: many people told me it's bad for my computer or something and i use it a lot so what is a good replacement?? submitted by /u/EZZOOOTHEKING [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8jlej/whats_a_good_alternative_to_utorrent/
  3. /* Whats a good Gadgets website? */

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    /* Whats a good Gadgets website? */: Greetings my fellow Windows users. What is a good website (trustable) to download gadgets from? I appreciate all your recommendations in advance. submitted by /u/sheeshkabab21 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/io94ky/whats_a_good_gadgets_website/
  4. Whats a Good Seedbox?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats a Good Seedbox?: Hi guys, Looks like seedboxes are more secure than vpns. Which seedboxes are good but cheap? I also read that you can "root" a seedbox. What exactly does that mean? . 145164
  5. Whats a Good Seedbox?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whats a Good Seedbox?: Hi guys, Looks like seedboxes are more secure than vpns. Which seedboxes are good but cheap? I also read that you can "root" a seedbox. What exactly does that mean? . 145164
  6. Looking for a good photo editing software package

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for a good photo editing software package: Looking for a good simple photo editing software package with gamma sliders etc.... Much appreciate any suggestions as not an expert.... Thanks 144742
  7. Looking for a good photo editing software package

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a good photo editing software package: Looking for a good simple photo editing software package with gamma sliders etc.... Much appreciate any suggestions as not an expert.... Thanks 144742
  8. What is a good cpu with a good onboard gpu?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What is a good cpu with a good onboard gpu?: I don't need a separate graphics card, a long time ago I stopped playing multi-player online video games where the user that has the most expensive hardware, the fastest internet and the best cheating software always wins. If I want to make myself feel bad, I will play...
  9. What's a Good, Affordable Motherboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What's a Good, Affordable Motherboard?: I plan to buy either an i5 6600 or 6500. Can you guys recommend a good budget motherboard for it? Again, I'm on a budget. 48355
  10. Best codecs package to install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best codecs package to install?: What's the best video/audio codecs package to install for Window 10? I can't even get the "get started" video to play. Just black, and some of web video black as well. 10995