Windows 10: What's a good handset for Win10 Phone?

Discus and support What's a good handset for Win10 Phone? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I do a good bit of business on ebay and thought i'd pickup a cell handset to load windows 10 tech preview. which one would that be? what I like: -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Feb 11, 2015.

1. cognus Win User

What's a good handset for Win10 Phone?

I do a good bit of business on ebay and thought i'd pickup a cell handset to load windows 10 tech preview.
    which one would that be?

what I like:
    - bigger is better
    - removable battery
    - removable microSD
    - bulletproof, bombproof, google proof! [haha]
    - GSM / sim

what's the suggestion?
    scratches don't matter as long as its in good shape technically. i'll let it go when I'm done playing with it a few months. my main squeeze is a hacked Galaxy Note 1 - just the way I like it

c

:)

cognus, Feb 11, 2015
  2. alix---01 Win User

easymobile unlock codes

what model of handset are they? shame easymobile marketing not very good. & also for easymobile to lease is not good anyway.

alix---01, Feb 11, 2015
  3. Nokia 5200

What is the handset displaying ?

SOS calls only etc.

speak to your network provider 1st as the sim may be at fault.

Try a friends same network sim in the handset to determine this.

If not then have the handset looked at by a Nokia Service Centre.

Good luck.

bandofbrothers---01, Feb 11, 2015
  4. rmonroe36 Win User

rmonroe36, Feb 12, 2015
  5. rmonroe36 Win User
    You are welcome. Let us know what you plan and how it works out.

Rich

rmonroe36, Feb 13, 2015
  6. usasma Win User
    I just picked up a Lumia 635 pay as you go from Walmart for $49.98
    Installing 10 now.
    It has all but the "bigger is better"

usasma, Feb 16, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Let us know how you make out with that.

Edwin, Feb 16, 2015
  8. enoch1138 Win User

The best phone currently supporting the Tech Preview is the Lumia 830.

enoch1138, Feb 17, 2015
  9. usasma Win User
    I got the 635 yesterday. It's about the size of an iPhone 5s
    I first had to update/download all the apps that they hadn't installed at the factory.
    Then I had to install 8.1
    Then I got to install the Win10TP

So far, so good. I don't have much experience with Windows Phone, but did play with 8 and 8.1 for a week or so recently.
    Win10TP doesn't seem much different to me.

My biggest complaint is that I can't make the News tile big enough to go full-width on the screen (as it was in 8.1)

My biggest pleasant surprise was the redesigned settings menu - it's shorter than the (seemingly) endless list in Windows Phone 8.1, but now you've gotta dig to find the things that you want.

usasma, Feb 17, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Same.
    Pros for me were that many UI elements emulate desktop versions,
    improved keyboard,
    a hint of Spartan in the browser,
    some others...

Cons were that many functions don't work yet,
    seemed to be a huge battery hog...

Edwin, Feb 17, 2015
  11. rmonroe36 Win User
    Appreciate your feedback. Also have the 635 (my first smartphone) but am holding off with Win10 for now. Have had no problems with the desktop version but I just don't want to chance screwing up my phone. *cry

Rich

rmonroe36, Feb 17, 2015
  12. usasma Win User
    BTW - I found that I can resize the News tile to my liking by making it smaller, then it'll let you make it bigger.
    I'm still playing with it, so I'll post more as I discover things :0)

usasma, Feb 17, 2015
  13. cognus Win User

635 seems to be the "go to".

cognus, Feb 18, 2015
  14. rmonroe36 Win User
    IMHO it's the best bang for the buck. The 635 is my FIRST smartphone. I have been using AT&T GoPhone plan. Average cost per month was $10. Bought the 635 at Walmart's on a special for $39.95. Kept the same GoPhone plan with AT&T and they kindly transferred my contacts gratis and I'm still paying $10 per month. Granted, I have to use hot spots when away from home or my computer club but I'm a Senior and don't need those expensive contracts. I have access to all my files via OneDrive and can use TeamViewer to operate my home computer if necessary. Just loving this "cheap" 635 Windows Phone.

Rich

rmonroe36, Feb 18, 2015
  15. usasma Win User
    635 is the cheapest phone on the list of compatible phones.
    Expect that to change in later versions of Win10Phone as they support more phones.

I have a iPhone 5s and will hang onto it until the contract is up.
    Haven't decided if I'll go with a WinPhone or not.
    It depends on how they develop the new OS.

usasma, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

1. What's a good handset for Win10 Phone? - Similar Threads - What's handset Win10

2. What's a good site to help with Win7 to Win10 transition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's a good site to help with Win7 to Win10 transition?: I see so many what appears to be totally illogical changes in Win10 so I'm wondering if there are workarounds for most of them. There probably are. Is there a website that is particularly good at guiding a new user? Like the Start Menu used to have a Properties option in...
  3. What's a good site to help with Win7 to Win10 transition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's a good site to help with Win7 to Win10 transition?: I see so many what appears to be totally illogical changes in Win10 so I'm wondering if there are workarounds for most of them. There probably are. Is there a website that is particularly good at guiding a new user? Like the Start Menu used to have a Properties option in...
  4. What's a good site to help with Win7 to Win10 transition?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. is 8006427676 a good # for microsoft or a bogus phone #

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is 8006427676 a good # for microsoft or a bogus phone #: is 8006427676 a good # for microsoft or a bogus phone # https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-8006427676-a-good-for-microsoft-or-a-bogus/cd23d22e-39a4-44a4-b096-3c134b40121c
  6. Whats a Good Seedbox?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats a Good Seedbox?: Hi guys, Looks like seedboxes are more secure than vpns. Which seedboxes are good but cheap? I also read that you can "root" a seedbox. What exactly does that mean? . 145164
  7. Whats a Good Seedbox?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whats a Good Seedbox?: Hi guys, Looks like seedboxes are more secure than vpns. Which seedboxes are good but cheap? I also read that you can "root" a seedbox. What exactly does that mean? . 145164
  8. Good By Windows Phone - Hello Moto

in Windows 10 Support
    Good By Windows Phone - Hello Moto: My Lumina Icon went swimming with the fishes. It was a good ride except for lack of updates for the past 3 years. My Asurion insurance with Verizon sent me a replacement overnight with an $89 co-pay. Hello Moto. I now have a Moto Z3 64Gb with Android 8.1. I got it...
  9. What is a good cpu with a good onboard gpu?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What is a good cpu with a good onboard gpu?: I don't need a separate graphics card, a long time ago I stopped playing multi-player online video games where the user that has the most expensive hardware, the fastest internet and the best cheating software always wins. If I want to make myself feel bad, I will play...
  10. Smart TV remote control handset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart TV remote control handset: I can access the internet from my Smart TV --- Digihome ---- but I have not found how to access the A to Z keys on the handset, for entering urls and search terms in a browser. All I can get is the numbers shown on the keys, not the letters below them.I suspect this is quite...