Windows 10: What's causing ocassional jerky cursor movement?

Discus and support What's causing ocassional jerky cursor movement? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every so often, my mouse cursor (Logitech M570 - new batteries) doesn't correctly respond. The cursor either doesn't immediately move, or it will move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by flycaster, Aug 17, 2018.

1. flycaster Win User

What's causing ocassional jerky cursor movement?

Every so often, my mouse cursor (Logitech M570 - new batteries) doesn't correctly respond. The cursor either doesn't immediately move, or it will move in jerks and not necessarily to the position I want it to. But, after a very short while - a minute, or so - things are back to normal. Process Explorer doesn't show any unusually high activities going on.

:)

flycaster, Aug 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 - Jerky Mouse Movement

Sorry to learn about your frustrations. Your mouse problem seems slightly different from the jerky mouse movement on Lenovo's ThinkPad Helix (1st gen with Core i5-3###U). Since we have different hardware, our problems are different. Having said that,
    here is how I somehow stumbled upon my solution.

While I was trying to troubleshoot the problem last year, I noticed that:

• The jerky mouse movement will occur several minutes after windows finish booting and I had some chance to open some software like Excel, Outlook or Window's setting options with different duration of normality.
    • The mouse behaved normally within the space of the device manager window and similar Window's setting screen, but stutter immediately when the mouse cursor leaves the area onto the desktop or other program windows.

Since the jerky movement never occur before the ver. 1511 update at the time, it can be safely assumed that there is a driver conflict with the newer version of Windows 10. But since there are so many device drivers, I started with the most obvious, the
    mouse driver, but that apparently didn't work because the jerky mouse movement affects the trackpad, trackpoint and external mouse wired or wireless. The reason that I finally started look into the audio driver is from similar experience I had troubleshoot
    older computer some years back.

After disabling the audio driver completely in device manager, the jerky mouse problem went away after reboot. But in this day and age, no audio is out of question, so I look elsewhere and found that there are some audio related program in the startup list.
    So I disabled them and reboot, then I found the problem went away without disabling the audio device driver completely.

Not familiar with the FMAPP.exe solution from other contributors. And recently in June

HeyRenee
    mentioned his/her problem was contributed by Adobe Flash security update.

My method is basically trial and error. In the device manager, disable something, reboot and test. In the startup disable something, reboot and test. Stuck on something and finally jump out of the box and try something else. Took couple days to arrive
    at the solution by accident. Pretty stupid way to go about it. If I had started with the startup list, I'd arrive at the solution fairly quickly. (search and run Task Manager, click Startup tab)

Like to mention that since I have upgraded to another ThinkPad, I basically wipe everything on the ThinkPad Helix and clean installed the Windows 10's anniversary update (ver. 1607), no jerky mouse movement at all with default drivers. I installed the Lenovo's
    Companion and installed Helix specific driver updates and BIOS, avoided audio driver updates if any just in case, and found the mouse behave normally. And so far I don't see the need to install tpfancontrol to keep the Helix cool and lower the fan noise.

I hope you find your solutions soon. Good luck.

Airaonmars, Aug 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Jerky Mouse Movement

My issue turned out to be the mouse. I replaced it with a new one exactly like it, and no more jerky movements for me!

CarmenD2000, Aug 17, 2018
  4. GilGillis Win User

herky jerky mouse movement

Has there been any solution to the herky jerky mouse movements when playing Microsoft solitaire. (win10)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

GilGillis, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

1. What's causing ocassional jerky cursor movement? - Similar Threads - What's causing ocassional

2. The cursor does not follow mouse movements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The cursor does not follow mouse movements: I have applied all the recommended solutions, that is:* change batteries* change surface* change mouse* reboot PCThe only recommendation I have not applied is "to go back to the installation in which the mouse was acting appropriately", since then I should only use bare...
  3. The cursor does not follow mouse movements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The cursor does not follow mouse movements: I have applied all the recommended solutions, that is:* change batteries* change surface* change mouse* reboot PCThe only recommendation I have not applied is "to go back to the installation in which the mouse was acting appropriately", since then I should only use bare...
  4. Erratic cursor movements in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erratic cursor movements in windows 11: My Asus Zenbook 14 has a problem of erratic cursor movements in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erratic-cursor-movements-in-windows-11/8c372e11-222e-49e7-acc5-5d7aefbf3322
  5. Erratic cursor movements in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Erratic cursor movements in windows 11: My Asus Zenbook 14 has a problem of erratic cursor movements in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erratic-cursor-movements-in-windows-11/8c372e11-222e-49e7-acc5-5d7aefbf3322
  6. WHAT IS GOING ONNN! Window movement out of sync with cursor movement. Anyone else...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WHAT IS GOING ONNN! Window movement out of sync with cursor movement. Anyone else...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/XK-Class [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mg8mjg/what_is_going_onnn_window_movement_out_of_sync/
  7. Mouse Cursor movement issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Cursor movement issues.: So, when I use my mouse for video games, like Overwatch or TF2, and I try to move my mouse fast it moves fast for a second, than it slows down the sensitivity where it looks like I'm spinning slowly, than it stops at where it was supposed to. the issue is that it goes slow...
  8. New computer jerky mouse movement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New computer jerky mouse movement: I got a Lenovo a few weeks ago. The mouse movement is awful. It's almost always jerky. I see on the web a lot of solutions, some of them dating to 2015. Here's what my MSConfig shows: [img] [img] There's probably 200 services running. My previous computer did not have...
  9. Cursor moves jerky, why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cursor moves jerky, why?: Hello, community, when i disconnect my gaming laptop from the net, my mouse cursor moves jerky, even though i set everything to performance preference. Ausus Gaming Rog 16 GB Ram RTX 2070 I7 9750h 120 Hz Monitor Can anyone help me? Thank you &...
  10. Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Freezing linked to Cursor movement: Hi, The cursor on my laptop freezes every few seconds when I move it. This happens with both my bluetooth mouse and my inbuilt touchpad. I know the laptop is freezing and not just the cursor because if I run an app with a progress bar it also freezes at the same time as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is causing my cursor to be herky jerky

2. screens jerky motion when moving between monitors lenovo yoga

3. Whats causing this jerky scrolling?