Windows 10: Whats going on with updates

Discus and support Whats going on with updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just checked history and all failed,everything else has update in office and security. Where do I begin? All update have worked before december,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by zplugger, Feb 3, 2017.

1. zplugger Win User

Whats going on with updates

Just checked history and all failed,everything else has update in office and security. Where do I begin? All update have worked before december, running OS build 14393.576 now. *Sick

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986)
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986)
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

:)

zplugger, Feb 3, 2017

2. What's going on with people going into your computer canceling Defender downloading Norton and messing with other programs?

Who did you let into your computer?

Bruce Hagen, Feb 3, 2017
  3. What's going on with people going into your computer canceling Defender downloading Norton and messing with other programs?

What is going on with with people going into your computer and messing with you programs. Canceling Defender downloading Norton and messing with other programs in computers

* Original title: Anit--Virus

KellyNestelroad, Feb 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You could try the Windows update troubleshooter. E.g. in Settings, search Trouble

Make sure you have not used any of the methods to disable Windows updates.

For news on each update, and to compare experiences, see the relevant thread in the News section.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  5. zplugger Win User
    Thanks dalchina, ran the trouble shooter and applied a fix. Still does not install the updates? Downloads the update 100% ,then installs the update 100%, then wants a reboot which I do. Computer reboots then I go to history and update failed? Not sure what to do next?

zplugger, Feb 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, please advise the exact error message in particular any error number.

Also do some basic checks:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Then from an admin prompt run
    sfc /scannow
    This may take a while.

Please report the result. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  7. zplugger Win User
    cbs.log to big for forum,almost 3mb

zplugger, Feb 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

- Don't need the whole thing.. should be a short summary after it ran. Did it pass?

Typically if it fails, you see this:
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

And you can open CBS.log in Notepad and find 'Failed' 'Corrupt' 'not repair' e.g.

And chkdsk?

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  9. zplugger Win User
    Ran both, a Lot of problems and not sure why.After looking I see the updates have not worked since Dec. I did a image backup on the 1st of Dec and all was well, did a restore and downloaded all new updates and they all installed. Problem is fixed, not sure what the cause was. Did the scan again and all clear,time for another image backup. Thanks for you help dalchina,you saved the day.

zplugger, Feb 4, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Excellent you're wise enough to use disk imaging. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Even better- update your image more often.

If you had chkdsk issues, now's the time to
    a. run Crystal diskinfo (free) to check your SMART params and get a quick good/bad indication
    b. run chkdsk as above.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  11. zplugger Win User
    Took your advice on chkdsk dalchina, Guess I'm OK?
    Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is SamSung.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 343296 file records processed. File verification completed. 22235 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 424018 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Deleting an index entry with Id 2870 from index $SDH of file 9.Cleaning up 5829 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.Cleaning up 5829 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.Cleaning up 5829 unused security descriptors.CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor streamSecurity descriptor verification completed. 40362 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...Usn Journal verification completed.Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.Windows has made corrections to the file system.No further action is required. 224486711 KB total disk space. 62706548 KB in 200685 files. 139028 KB in 40365 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 421319 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 161219816 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 56121677 total allocation units on disk. 40304954 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 3d 05 00 23 ad 03 00 c1 02 07 00 00 00 00 00 .=..#...........0a 06 00 00 cb 7e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .....~..........Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

zplugger, Feb 4, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Looks ok.. run Crystal Diskinfo anyway- easy. Should be ok & useful to know about.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  13. zplugger Win User

Crystal diskinfo Thanks for the tip dalchina, seems like nice program to have. Ran it and said All OK *chuckle

zplugger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Whats going on with updates - Similar Threads - Whats going updates

2. What the heck is going on with this new update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the heck is going on with this new update?: Since the update whenever that was, my wifi hasn't worked the same. I cannot connect to it. My wifi adapter on my computer laptop is updated, the driver is updated, EVERYTHING is updated. I wanna know what the heck is going on! Did something flip when the update happened and...
  3. What the heck is going on with this new update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What the heck is going on with this new update?: Since the update whenever that was, my wifi hasn't worked the same. I cannot connect to it. My wifi adapter on my computer laptop is updated, the driver is updated, EVERYTHING is updated. I wanna know what the heck is going on! Did something flip when the update happened and...
  4. What is going on with Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is going on with Windows Update?: Windows did an automatic update on my computer last night, and I have a couple of questions/topics for discussion about it: 1: My computer has always had a wonky touch screen. A year or so ago, I disabled my touch screen via regedit using this helpful guide:...
  5. What's going on?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's going on?: We've had some major changes with our system at our firm, including a new server and new computers. We're using Microsoft 365 with Windows 10. Here's the issue: In Word, we include graphs from Excel for our newsletter. When we print batches, Word is sporadically reading...
  6. What is going on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is going on?: So, ever since i got my Windows 10 Computer, i have been using a lot. At one point i got a virus but i cleared it off. Anyways there's something else weird with my computer too, and it will happen randomly. For example, i got on to my Laptop like a week or two ago and i went...
  7. What is going on Windows 10 update!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is going on Windows 10 update!!!: I have a interview Monday - need to print - need to connect to the internet I did the Windows 10 update due to threat of no support in the future. Now I cannot print wot my HP Envy or stay connected to the internet I do not need this frustration and stresss Can someone...
  8. What Is Going On With Update 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    What Is Going On With Update 1803: For the second time, Microsoft has overridden my settings for Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer in services and forced a download of 1803. And predictably it caused problems. After the update Windows would not even start. Thankfully, I have a system image and...
  9. What's Going On

in Browsers and Email
    What's Going On: What is going on recently with Widows 10 and slow internet? At first last week it was Google Chrome, now it's Firefox and Edge. No matter what browser I'm using it's still the same. When using my tablet and cel via WiFi everything is working normal. I've scoured the internet...
  10. what is going on with store app updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is going on with store app updates?: I logged into my backup computer, went to the app store and saw I had 6 updates waiting for me, I hit install and then noticed the two of the updates were for net framework packages, say what, how are these considered app updates? [img] 23003