Windows 10: What's preventing Windows 10 going into sleep after idling certain time?

Discus and support What's preventing Windows 10 going into sleep after idling certain time? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, 2004 build 19041.450 In version 1909, it could go into sleep after idling. Once upgraded, it could not. I suspected it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by redhonker, Sep 8, 2020.

1. redhonker Win User

What's preventing Windows 10 going into sleep after idling certain time?

Windows 10 Pro, 2004 build 19041.450

In version 1909, it could go into sleep after idling. Once upgraded, it could not. I suspected it was antivirus, removed it and it was able to go into sleep after idling again.

Now it stopped working again. I can manually put it to sleep Start -> Power -> Sleep. However, after idling for certain time, it can only turn off monitor and hard drive but CPU remains on.

I can't recall much of changes in between. I did install a USB dongle for a gaming controller but it's unplugged when I don't play game. USB Bluetooth is also turned off.

I've already removed most of USB devices such as storage. But the problem remains.

How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks

:)

redhonker, Sep 8, 2020
  2. Jonas Flo Win User

Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Preventing sleep on laptop/monitor

Hi Tricia,

In order to help you with your concern about preventing your Windows 10 not to go to sleep mode, may we request you to answer the following questions first:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the current Build and Version of your Windows 10 PC? To know these information follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type Winver.
    • Press Enter.
    • A small box will appear showing the current Build and
      Version
      of your PC.

(Should you need to update your PC, you may click on this
    link
    . This will also show you the update history for Windows 10.)

• Are you getting any error messages? If yes, kindly post it here.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

You may utilize the troubleshooting suggestions from the post of
    Aleksandr 10 in this thread, to remedy the
    automatic sleep that your device is displaying. This link has been helpful to a lot of Community members who had the same concern and may also be helpful in the issue at hand.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

What is up with the sleep function in Windows 10?

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix the issue with sleep mode.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect power settings.

I suggest you to try the following steps to increase the time limit for computer to go into sleep mode once left it idle:

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Double-click System.

• In the left pane click on
      Power & Sleep.

• Under the section
      sleep, change the time limit for computer to go to sleep.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

1. What's preventing Windows 10 going into sleep after idling certain time? - Similar Threads - What's preventing going

2. Windows 11 won't sleep after idle time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't sleep after idle time: Hello all. I am having a problem with my system sleeping whilst idle. It wont do it. I have tried every fix I can find including changing plan settings within Windows to using the "sfc /scannow" command in the CMD. I have prevented devices from waking Windows in the device...
  3. Windows 11 won't sleep after idle time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't sleep after idle time: Hello all. I am having a problem with my system sleeping whilst idle. It wont do it. I have tried every fix I can find including changing plan settings within Windows to using the "sfc /scannow" command in the CMD. I have prevented devices from waking Windows in the device...
  4. Creating a task that triggers after a certain amount of idle time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a task that triggers after a certain amount of idle time.: I need Task Scheduler to run a script if my computer has been idle for 20 minutes. However, for some reason, when my computer idles for like 3 to 5 minutes, the task executes. Here are my settings:Am I missing something? I read this...
  5. Creating a task that triggers after a certain amount of idle time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a task that triggers after a certain amount of idle time.: I need Task Scheduler to run a script if my computer has been idle for 20 minutes. However, for some reason, when my computer idles for like 3 to 5 minutes, the task executes. Here are my settings:Am I missing something? I read this...
  6. Creating a task that triggers after a certain amount of idle time.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. My monitors won’t go to sleep. They turn on immediately after going idle. What could be the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My monitors won’t go to sleep. They turn on immediately after going idle. What could be the...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ayonick [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mbh2a0/my_monitors_wont_go_to_sleep_they_turn_on/
  8. CPU won't go into sleep mode after idling time since update 2004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU won't go into sleep mode after idling time since update 2004: Hi, Desktop PC wit AMD FX CPU, Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit. Recently upgraded to OS version 2004 -- I did not force it. Since the upgrade, the monitor will turn off when idling time reached threshold. But CPU will not go into sleep mode automatically (keyboard & mouse both show...
  9. CPU won't go into sleep mode after idling time since update 2004

in Windows 10 Support
    CPU won't go into sleep mode after idling time since update 2004: Hi, Desktop PC wit AMD FX CPU, Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit. Recently upgraded to OS version 2004 -- I did not force it. Since the upgrade, the monitor will turn off when idling time reached threshold. But CPU will not go into sleep mode automatically (keyboard & mouse both show...
  10. How do I prevent going to sleep with certain program active?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent going to sleep with certain program active?: Hello -- I am new to this forum, but I would like to ask for help. I have been with you all since Seven Forums. I am using a program that is no longer being further developed or supported by the developer. It is called PS3 Media Server and is basically the best program...