Windows 10: Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10?

Discus and support Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My son has a laptop and he uses the built in Windows 10 defragger. Constantly says 0% defrag. I just installed and ran Piriform Defraggler. It says 9%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by milford, Dec 2, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10?

My son has a laptop and he uses the built in Windows 10 defragger. Constantly says 0% defrag. I just installed and ran Piriform Defraggler. It says 9% fragged. (10 gig+) and it needs 24 hrs to defrag. I have no idea which one is correct, but is there a better one that I can depend on?

:)

milford, Dec 2, 2016

2. What's the best FM frequency to use for the Transmitter, in the UK?

A get quite reasonable response at 95.1, round here too many broadcasting in the 100s to find a clear space and as you say you can't dial down low enough to get the bottom end.

jacobsladder---01, Dec 2, 2016
  3. whats the best phone for

N91 8GB is still the music king because

a) Top sound quality

b) Standard 3.5mm jack

c) High Storage Capacity

d) Decent sized, always available audio controls

e) Nicely made out of stainless steel - much nicer and sturdier than the plastic phones.

f) Desk charging stand is useful

N91 original lacks some storage (only 4GB) and also lacks the stereo bluetooth (the latter is not much loss, as wired headphones are better), but has done me good service.

N81 & N81 8GB apparently have similar sound quality to the N91 & N91 8GB, but have smaller audio controls cluttered in with loads of other buttons. They also are plastic and don't have the stand. On the plus side, the podcast application is preinstalled (although
    you can get it for the N91) and the music store will work on the phone (although you can copy across tracks bought on the PC store to the N91). The N81 8GB has built in storage, but you can now get 8GB cards (and maybe larger soon), which may work in the other
    N81 model, which meens that the memory card version of the N81 is probably slightly better than the N81 8GB for storage. One other advantage of the N81 over the N91 is the flash for the camera.

The differences between these 4 models are small enough that if you have one there's probably not much benefit switching to another.

If you want a phone with more features than the N91 or N81 then you can go for the N95 (or US or 8GB version), but I believe this sacrifices sound quality, and the media buttons are hidden when using the numeric keypad (this would be awkward for me listening
    to music while browsing the web, as I then want both keypads available). I wouldn't really go this route, but it is better than the other N series below.

I wouldn't use the N82 (or N73, N77, N93i) for mp3 player replacement, as it doesn't have audio controls on the phone

I also wouldn't go for the N76 (or N73 - maybe others), as it doesn't have standard 3.5mm jack (I think N76 is 2.5mm and N73 is pop port).

If you want something cheaper, there are some 5xxx phones with 3.5mm jacks and audio controls. These will lack some of smartphone etc. features of N91/N81 and build of N91, and won't be as good on storage (they're all memory card based, and I think some have
    a 2GB limit - maybe the newer ones are better). I don't know how the sound quality varies.

In summary, I recommend an N91 8GB if you can get it, and an N81 with an 8GB card if you can't get the N91 or really want a flash.

Message Edited by on 19-Dec-2007 10:37 PM

martin_eyles, Dec 2, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Different defragmenters use different algorithms, so when initially checking a disk, they will ALL show different states of defragmentation, some more, some less, than of the last used defragmenter.

Windows own, only defrags files that are smaller than 64MB as there is no empirical proof that defragging anything larger improves really read speeds.

With Piriform you can set the size if you wish though, but if you set it larger that than 64 it will take longer, while it then has more to move around.

Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10? [​IMG]

Defraggler has some good options, but most are truthfully not necessary, as Windows own will also perform a defrag of files need at boot, and move them to the outside of the disk, every so often.

But if you insist on using a 3rd party one, Defraggler might be slow compared to others, but it is the best, as it uses Windows API's and copies the data to the side, before moving stuff around, in case of a power interruption, or you cancel the defrag, your data remains intact, because it uses volume shadow service, otherwise known as VSS.

Cliff S, Dec 2, 2016
  5. Hi:

In addition to the excellent advice already provided...

..whether you use the built-in "defragmenter" for Win10 or a third-party solution, make sure that it knows the difference between a HDD and SSD.
    HDDs ("spinners") can be defragmented.
    SSDs should be optimized with "TRIM", not a standard defrag.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the built-in Win10 utility DOES know the difference, as do most/all of the reputable, 3rd-party programs.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 2, 2016
  6. Doc943 Win User
    I've never had a problem with Piriform's defrag over many years. Seems to do the job and shut down when it's finished.

Doc943, Dec 3, 2016
  7. CMD
    cmd Win User
    I am using PC tuneup utilities form AVG, this one is very good and will check for disk errors multiple times.

8. swarfega Win User

Just use the one included. After all Microsoft know what they're doing right *Tongue

swarfega, Dec 5, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Even with XP fragmentation under 17% was considered inconsequential. Doing one full defrag on a disk uses it as much as several month of normal use so it has an effect on drive's life.

CountMike, Dec 5, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

these days I'm not sure that ANY defrag is ever worth while -- I certainly never even found them very effective even years ago. The quickest way by FAR if you are worried about files with long chains etc is simply to IMAGE the whole HDD with something like macrium and then restore it again. Works better BY FAR , is a LOAD QUICKER (could be as fast as 30 mins for the entire image plus restore function and apart from giving you a Backup it intelligently re-creates and optimises all the files on the HDD.

I'm still amazed that in 2016 people are even THINKING about using defragging software --that type of stuff should have died the death Donkeys years ago.

Note --you need to IMAGE the HDD not CLONE or COPY it -- CLONING just copies the source sector by sector so no advantage other than you have a 100% Disk Copy which is useable without needing to restore it again.

IMAGING does an Intelligent copy --ignoring empty sectors etc and optimising the files where possible.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 5, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    In addition to all of that, some "Fragmentation" is desirable, I put it in quotes because de-fragmenting programs think that some space is fragmented but it's actually space left for files to expand in continuity without causing further fragmentation. Data bases use that feature a lot and so may many programs that use and need expandability.

CountMike, Dec 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's not always true. Macrium Reflect does intelligent cloning - at the file level, not the physical sector level. Look in the advanced options when setting up the cloning and you will see it is optional to turn on forensic (physical sector by sector) cloning. Also, if Macrium Reflect only did physical cloning, it would not be possible to change the partition size during the clone - which Macrium Reflect also offers the ability to do.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

If you leave default schedule on for defragging, Windows 10 does it in background. As Jimbo45 says, you bshould rarely need to do it these days anyway. I have not manually defragged my HDD for several years now - I just let Windows do it automatically.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2016
  14. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Windows 10 built-in Defrag util does its job quite well. As for Defragger, it has not been updated in a long time and it still has got several long-standing bugs, namely, the regular defrag is painfully slow for its gains and standalone "defrag freespace" is still bugged. It creates more fragmentation. Quick Defrag is quite okay though if you just want a quick defrag without wasting time filling gaps.

PS - I usually use Defragger on mechanical hard disks only. I have set it up to hide SSD drives and such.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Whats the best Defragger for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Whats best Defragger

2. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's Best !: Hi again, just been looking at my "Default apps" and wondered if I have the best! Looks like my music is set to "Windows Music player", my videos set to open with "Films and tv" and photo viewer with "Photo" ! All recommended by Microsoft ! I have tried VLC over the years but...
  3. Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.: Windows defragger always says i don't need to defrag so i figured i would download defraggler to see what it said. And it says on my one drive that it has over 75 thousand fragmented files, where windows say 0% fragmented. So which one do i believe windows or the 3rd party...
  4. Windows defragger

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defragger: I know that the Windows defragger use the Windows FSCTL_MOVE_FILE AP https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/defragmenting-files. When it need to move a file, it is actually NTFS that is performing the file move. FSCTL_MOVE_FILE doesn't support using RAM or...
  5. what will be the best antivirus for windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what will be the best antivirus for windows 10: thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-will-be-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10/434a0c4d-5f73-4738-895a-604fbcb6edbc
  6. defragger

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    defragger: I don't know what happened but I lost the defragger in windows admin. I am using W10 version 17767 Pleas advise thanks 127908
  7. Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the Best Windows 10 Cleaner?: I want to know whats the best win 10 cleaners to clean out my system for performance and speed. Let me know. 75967
  8. defragger

defragger: Is it still necessary to dfrag using W10. Thanks 67727
  9. Defragger

Defragger: I use the Auslogic defragger so is the a better one that you would recommend. Thanks 65882
  10. What's the best Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best Windows 10 Build?: What's the best Windows 10 Build? This is what I got ; [img] 39990