Windows 10: What's The Best Tool To Help With System/Restore/Fix etc... ?

Discus and support What's The Best Tool To Help With System/Restore/Fix etc... ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer wouldn't boot this morning. Wouldn't switch on at all. Took it apart and moved it to a bench where I could get at it and it started up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Oct 7, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

What's The Best Tool To Help With System/Restore/Fix etc... ?

My computer wouldn't boot this morning.

Wouldn't switch on at all. Took it apart and moved it to a bench where I could get at it and it started up there alright - but with an error message from windows: boot config files corrupt or missing - put in an install media, run 'repair'.

It said that could have been caused by a recent hardware change or something. Moving your machine and then replugging your hard drives in to perhaps different SATA ports isn't enough to crash Windows like this is it? It couldn't have been something I accidentally did like that, could it?

So I put in a win19 usb stick and booted from it and ran repair but it was no help. Finished up trying to do restore but even the restore failed.

So I booted from Kyhi's boot usb and tried it but couldn't see anything that would help. Nothing marked 'repair win10 boot config' or like that.

So back to Win10 install, pick another restore point... failed again.

And here's the thing: I'm all the time having to reboot and reset the BIOS to boot from a usb stick.

Is there something I can run that will allow me try all kinds of different things and reboot automatically back to where we were when something fails?

Or perhaps I could config that in BIOS? Just had the thought. Maybe there's a default boot option there for USB. I didn't think to look for it. I'm now at a faraway computer and can't check. Might as well let the post stand - it might elicit some great way of dealing with this...

I thought I had a Windows image on that computer but it didn't find one.
    I had restore points but so far they're not working.. some fault stops them installing.... I suspect a disk busy crashing, flaking off allover, making corrupt files everywhere...

I had Macrium on it and asked macrium to make an image and tried to configure it for backing up and whatever but I think I got an error message about the image (without explanation) . But the idea is there - how can check the macrium thing? If I boot into it with Kyhi for instance, and find the macrium .exe will macrium run?

and surely the best platform to do all this would be the web, really, if the machine will see it? If it sees the web couldn't I point it to some microsoft site that would find the problem and fix it?

All dumb questions? Surely not.... give me a ray of light....

What's The Best Tool To Help With System/Restore/Fix etc...  ? :)

:)

abrogard, Oct 7, 2018
  2. Clark Ari Win User

System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

Hi Loucille,

One of the possible reasons why the error code 0x8007005 occurs when performing system restore is due to corrupted system files that caused software conflicts. Since you have tried several steps to resolve the issue, we recommend that you
    perform a System Restore in safe mode. To boot your device in
    safe mode kindly click on this link. This will start Windows in a basic state, using a limited
    set of files and drivers.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

If in case that the issue persists, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will be able
    to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore it. We also suggest that you run the DISM command to repair the Windows image on your system. Follow the steps provided
    on this link for the complete guide on how to use
    the tool.

Please post back with the result.

Clark Ari, Oct 7, 2018
  3. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore 0x80070005

Hi,

System restore usually fails due to some corrupted files within the restore point that was created. To address this issue, we suggest that you run the following troubleshooting methods before creating a restore point:

Method 1: Run Windows Defender to eliminate corrupted files or programs.

Method 2: Run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool. This tool will automatically repair the components of your Windows operating system and records the corruptions to the log file.

To run the DISM tool, follow these steps:

• Using Search, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt on the search results and then select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Yes.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then hit Enter.
    • Once the scan is finished, restart your computer.

Note: While running the DISM tool on your computer, if any bad sectors are found on the system, data loss might occur. We suggest that you backup your files before running DISM.

Method 3: Run the System File Checker tool. This is a utility that allows
    users to scan for corruptions in Windows system and restore corrupted files. The link contains further information about how to run the System File Checker tool.

Once done, restart your computer, create a restore point and then perform system restoration. If the same
    issue occurred, it will be best to use an installation media to restore your computer. To do so, visit this
    link and then follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

We are eager on getting this resolved for you.

Darleen Pen, Oct 7, 2018
  4. DannyG13 Win User

System restore error - can't open SR never mind use it?

Yes, I tried this too. Couldn't see the KB update in my list said to be guilty of this problem. Not that it matters, it would just force install it again anyway?

DannyG13, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. What's The Best Tool To Help With System/Restore/Fix etc... ? - Similar Threads - What's Best Tool

2. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  3. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  4. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. System Restore Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Tool: Other than create system restore point, if i use system restore to put 1%, what does it delete? Will it happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-tool/aeec8497-d0c1-4361-afa2-5224f3434f07
  6. System Restore Tool

System Restore Tool: Other than create system restore point, if i use system restore to put 1%, what does it delete? Will it happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-tool/aeec8497-d0c1-4361-afa2-5224f3434f07
  7. System Restore Tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. System Restore Point Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore Point Tool: Is there a tool for WIN10 like Quick Restore Maker ? Or Shortcut to Restore Point? submitted by /u/elephanteum [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gwz72f/system_restore_point_tool/
  9. Help! Cannot System Restore, etc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Help! Cannot System Restore, etc: Several sudden issues (after a crash - long story) on which I'd greatly appreciate help please. Can't do a System Restore Repeatedly get a message reporting unsuccessful because couldn't access a file, and suggesting I retry after switching off anti-virsu software....
  10. Best tool for monitoring system fan?

Best tool for monitoring system fan?: Long story short, once in a while my laptop's fan will jam and I have to open it up to unjam it. I'd like to be able to just monitor my fan speed so I know if it has jammed on me (or maybe see when it is about to). I may try to replace the fan but not yet. I used to use a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. whats the best way to create a system restore media