Windows 10: What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

Discus and support What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've got a 2TB HDD (additional storage, not the main SSD where the windows install is) - an admin user and a standard user. I want the admin obv to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/iapprovethiscomment, Jun 20, 2020.

1. What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

I've got a 2TB HDD (additional storage, not the main SSD where the windows install is) - an admin user and a standard user. I want the admin obv to have access to everything, but the standard user to have their own storage on a portion of the additional HDD but not to be able to see or access the rest of the drive.

Do I partition that drive and cut off read/list access to the rest of the drive?

submitted by /u/iapprovethiscomment
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/iapprovethiscomment, Jun 20, 2020
  2. wsnider28 Win User

Multiple Users Files on HDD, Separate From SSD Boot Drive

I have a new PC build with with Windows 10 and programs on a SSD, and a separate HDD for files. I know I can create folders on the HDD and change the "location" settings on the default user folders such as Documents and Downloads to point to the folders
    on the HDD. But if there are multiple users on the computer, they can all see each other's files. Even if you separate them into different folders on the HDD ("Joe > Documents" & "Joe > Downloads" vs "Suzy > Documents" & "Suzy > Downloads"), they can still
    navigate up to the HDD and see the other users' files and folders.

Any way to set up that HDD such each user only sees their own files, with no way to see the others'?

Thanks.

wsnider28, Jun 20, 2020
  3. MicahL Win User
    Multiple Users. Separate Files and Apps

I just built a new computer and installed Windows 10 Pro on it. I have multiple hard drives in the computer and there are two users. I am trying to figure out if there is a way for user2 to have completely separate files from me. This includes program
    files. User2 has their own HDD to install whatever they want to it, and space is not a problem. We both use Steam and i tried to reinstall it on User2's profile on a different drive then where I had my steam downloaded, but it re-downloaded steam on my user
    and set the Steam download location to the same as User2's. Is there a way to seperate each account so that everything User2 does is on a seperate HDD and nothing will affect my user on my SDD and my HDD? Thanks for any help or insights you can give me.

MicahL, Jun 20, 2020
  4. What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

little cat, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

1. What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users? - Similar Threads - What's best separate

2. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?: I was wondering if I could use the same external drive to back up two separate user profiles from the same computer. It is already used to backup one account, but it does not show to be setup as a backup drive for the other account. Can I just add it without messing anything...
  3. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?: I was wondering if I could use the same external drive to back up two separate user profiles from the same computer. It is already used to backup one account, but it does not show to be setup as a backup drive for the other account. Can I just add it without messing anything...
  4. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  6. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  7. Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to keep data safe with two HDD: Hey everyone. I have a Lenovo T430 with a 512GB mSATA drive, and a 512GB 2.5 inch SSD drive. My question is which is the best way to keep data safe, since apparently there's no agreement in the community. The OS and apps are in the msata drive. One option is to keep...
  8. Can I have Windows 10 installed on two separate drives in the same system?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I have Windows 10 installed on two separate drives in the same system?: Hi, I have a PC with 2 drives. Drive 1 has Windows 10 installed. Drive 2 is a storage drive, but I would also like to install another copy of Windows 10 on it. I unplugged Drive 1, installed Windows 10 on Drive 2, and everything was fine. Then, when I plugged Drive 1 back...
  9. having two pagefile.sys on separate drives

in Windows 10 Support
    having two pagefile.sys on separate drives: I have two pagefile.sys, first one on my 250GB SSD and second one on my 2TB HDD, I use HDD for games and storing video materials, is it good to have two pagefile.sys? 159170
  10. Having two separate wallpaper slideshows for two seperate monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having two separate wallpaper slideshows for two seperate monitors: Hey guys, So what Im trying to do is get two different slideshows to run on my wallpapers from two different areas. Since one of my monitors is 1080p, and the other one is 1200p I want to have two different wallpaper slideshows running from two different locations, where...