Windows 10: What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

Discus and support What's the best way to migrate to a new HD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zWeApOnz, Nov 2, 2020.

1. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something?

Thanks for any ideas!

submitted by /u/zWeApOnz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zWeApOnz, Nov 2, 2020
  2. Don1600 Win User

Cloning/migrating OS to new HD

Andre,

Switched to Legacy, didn't help.

Trying to add 1 TB HD. Currently have 250 GB.

New HD is 4096 sectors (GPT), Old is 512 (MSR).

New is formatted and appears, no errors & active.

Want to transfer (clone/migrate) win10 to new disk.

There must be a way w/o purch new OS, I'm sure others have done this.

Have tried diff softw including microsoft media xfer. read many posts.

No clues. Error always "incompatible media" (sectors).

I have read that GPT will only support 64B and cannot run 32B.

Thanks for your time and comments

Rgds Don

Don1600, Nov 2, 2020
  3. Don1600 Win User
    Cloning/migrating OS to new HD

Having difficulty Installing new HD. Can Win10 (32b) be cloned/migrated from MSR to GPT? If so how? I have read it cannot.

Don1600, Nov 2, 2020
  4. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

I want to migrate the Windows OS on my HD to my SSD - HD is dying

Hello all,

My HD is dying and my OS is on the HD, how can I migrate the Windows OS to my SSD.

I can't find the Product Key because it is on me Microsoft account.

Can any give me an idea of the steps to resolve this problem

I have a new HD which I will replace and use data storage, I believe I have to change the boot up in the BIOS settings.

thanks

Gord

GordonLam_638, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

1. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD? - Similar Threads - What's best migrate

2. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  3. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  4. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  6. What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?: I've just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 & have used speccy to get system info. There is another source of info that I've used** - it's digs very deep eg it lists WUs installed/missing and is really is many pages long Does anyone know the name of it please? **PS I have the...
  7. Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system: I've searched for a solution with little luck. We have an older PC on which my daughter has an account, content and preferences. I'm passing on my system and plan to install Windows 10 clean, then want to migrate her account to the computer. I've found some paid solutions,...
  8. Add a new child account - what's the best way?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add a new child account - what's the best way?: We already have a family setup. Myself as head of household for the PC (admin), my wife as adult standard account and our son as a child account. We can all login without drama to the Windows 10 machine. However, now we want to give our second child an email address and a...
  9. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD: I am having various issues/and Event errors that I'm trying to clean up. They include BITS and Perflib errors and Malwarebytes is not automatically or manually updating, requiring me to reinstall about every other day. The biggest issue is that, when I log out, the system...
  10. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...