Windows 10: What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

Discus and support What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Your advice please: I currently have a dual-boot system, and its HDD has 2 partitions, which are: GUIP/GPT one for W7 & the other for W10.The HDD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TicketToRide, Jul 8, 2021.

1. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

Hi Your advice please: I currently have a dual-boot system, and its HDD has 2 partitions, which are: GUIP/GPT one for W7 & the other for W10.The HDD is running hot, so I've decided to replace the W10 OS and put it onto a new SSD.And for now, I’ll leave W7 on the HDD, but I may move it to the SSD later.I need to do a clean W10 install onto the SSD, because my current W10 isn’t running very well.So what is the best way to do this?The Windows 10 download page: Download Windows 10has 2 obvious options, Option 1 or 2 ?Option-1:Seems the correct one because it says, use this method when:'You n

:)

TicketToRide, Jul 8, 2021
  2. RBowser Win User

Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question:

I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems. The routine I've used before to install W10 isn't working this time:

--With the installation DVD in the DVD drive, and temporarily having boot from disk as the first option in the BIOS, I "click any key" to boot from the disk and the W10 window logo comes up as expected.

But then nothing else happens. The progress spinner that should show up below the logo never comes up. I have to abort.

The above is exactly what I've done twice before to install W10. The spinner has always appeared and then I step through the install process including being able to tell it where I want W10 installed.

Because of this install failure, I tried a different method to see what would happen. Instead of trying to boot from the disk, I clicked to execute the install from the DVD after I had W7 up and running. The expected windows were popping up, user agreement et al. BUT I was afraid to go beyond the screen I'm posting a screenshot of. It's the last window before "install" -- As per the info I've read online I'm thinking that if I click to proceed from there, W10 will install itself on top of my W7 partition without asking me where I want it to install.

Is that correct? Or am I wrong, and it's actually safe to go past this window because the installer will see that this is a multi-partition computer system?

My understanding is that the only way to get the "Where do you want to install?" window is by booting from the disk which gives you completely different installation windows. But, as I said at the top, for some unknown reason that isn't working this time.

Ideas? Is there yet another way to use my disk and reinstall W10 where I want?

RB

RBowser, Jul 8, 2021
  3. SIW2 Win User
    Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

Advanced users can rt click the top border for the extra menu.

What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? [​IMG]

SIW2, Jul 8, 2021
  4. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

add linux dual boot to w10 system

First check to see if Windows supports dual-boot when one of the systems is not Windows. As best as I know it is not possible and I have tried to get the answer myself but that was a few years ago. As best as I know the only option is to use a Linux utility
    to do the multi-booting.

If you did configure dual boot then how did you do that? If you are using a Linux/Ubuntu utility then you need to ask in a Linux/Ubuntu forum.

The suggestion to hold down the shift key while doing a shutdown might help but another option is to go into your system's BIOS while booting. The procedure varies depending on the BIOS but if you can get into the BIOS configuration then you can choose where
    to boot from. Sometimes it can be a one-time choice but there should be a way to set the boot device priority so that it boots from whichever device/partition you select. That is
    not a permanent solution but it will allow you a
    slightly inconvenient way to switch where to boot from.

Also note that it is standard for a boot utility to boot whatever partition is marked active. There are Windows and Linux utilities to select which partition will be the boot partition.

Simple Samples, Jul 8, 2021
Thema:

What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

1. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? - Similar Threads - What's Best Reinstall

2. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...: Hi Greg,This post carries on from my last Question at...What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? And Greg was the guy who helped last timeIt's been a while since my last post, but I now have the following problem, which I hope you can help me with. This is...
  3. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...: Hi Greg,This post carries on from my last Question at...What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? And Greg was the guy who helped last timeIt's been a while since my last post, but I now have the following problem, which I hope you can help me with. This is...
  4. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system? Continued...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10: I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question: I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems....
  6. Best way to add user folders to W10 and Ubuntu dual boot PC?

Best way to add user folders to W10 and Ubuntu dual boot PC?: Would appreciate guidance on best practice... I've successfully clean installed W10 on one physical HDD and Ubuntu on the second physical HDD of my desktop PC. Both are working great so I'm ready to add user folders/files from backup (both PC image and backup files stored on...
  7. What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?: Hi -- I am looking for a good imaging program that will back up individual partitions in W10 -- including the boot partition. Preferably it's free but doesn't have to be. I had previously tried Aomei Backupper with W8.1 but just had a lot of problems restoring from image...
  8. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?: This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty...
  9. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows xp x32 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 x64 as a dual boot. What's the best way? 70879
  10. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows 7 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 as a dual boot. What's the best way? I have an unused XPx64 installation disc and I have used "Windows 10 CreationToolx64.exe" (from MS):...