Windows 10: What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?

Discus and support What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I don't fully understand what OneDrive is, which probably fuels this question.Basically, recently I had trouble finding documents I had saved by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Christopher Dolan1, Dec 1, 2023.

1. What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?

I don't fully understand what OneDrive is, which probably fuels this question.Basically, recently I had trouble finding documents I had saved by searching manually - that is, opening my documents folder and clicking around. It turned out that certain documents had saved to OneDrive instead of to the folder I thought I had put them in. I don't want to save things anywhere other than my computer, and I use Word a lot. So, I got frustrated by this and delinked the account I was using from OneDrive. Now, however, when I try to save a document I've opened manually through my files, I'm still of cou

:)

Christopher Dolan1, Dec 1, 2023
  2. shmu26 Win User

OneDrive and open Word docs

Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage.
    Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight.
    In the course of that time, I make a lot of changes, and I want those changes to sync to the cloud, so my doc will be backed up.
    So how do I do that?
    It seems like as long as the Word doc is open, OneDrive will not sync changes to the cloud, even if I hit the save button in Word.
    Am I doing something wrong?

shmu26, Dec 1, 2023
  3. Why are some of my WORD docs suddenly not openable after Linking PC to OneDrive but not doing anything else?

An example of how aggravating OneDrive can be to someone like me is that even though I don't ever Create or Edit docs on my phone but just for the heck of it I created a tiny WORD doc on my phone.

It magically showed up later on my PC & I stumbled upon it with some generic name, since docs are auto-Saved on w phone's OneDrive and as far as I can tell, don't have names or even a way to name it if you wanted to or a way to Save it into a particular
    Folder.

Maybe I'm wrong. I sure hope I am. If not, what a worthless deal. :-(

Jeff A. Davis, Dec 1, 2023
  4. Jeffrey A Win User

What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?

On the jumplist, any previously opened Word doc is listed twice

Thank you, Azaruddin Syed. It seems to have worked. On another note, I have the Office 365 Word App pinned to my Taskbar. On the jumplist, any previously opened Word doc is listed twice. It isn't a big deal, but why is it listed twice? seems weird.

Jeffrey A, Dec 1, 2023
Thema:

What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?

1. What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs? - Similar Threads - What's deal OneDrive

2. What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the deal with OneDrive and This PC when saving Word Docs?: I don't fully understand what OneDrive is, which probably fuels this question.Basically, recently I had trouble finding documents I had saved by searching manually - that is, opening my documents folder and clicking around. It turned out that certain documents had saved to...
  3. Word docs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word docs: all my docs have changed to wordpad - i need word - how do i change them all back to word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/14b35def-7d81-4b36-a574-49820a43b449
  4. Save Word doc on Windows for Mac

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save Word doc on Windows for Mac: I just tried saving a file, the same way I have done for years and am now getting an error code and cannot save a file.[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-word-doc-on-windows-for-mac/c39779b3-a69f-416f-a436-92c425c7f203"
  5. Defender isn't allowing me to save Word doc.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender isn't allowing me to save Word doc.: Why does Defender block me from saving a Word doc? It gives msg. "Unauthorized changes blocked. Controlled folder access blocked. c/programs....winword\exe from making changes to folder ..."...
  6. word docs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word docs: I just renewed my $99 subscription, and yet I still can NOT access my MSWord docs to edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-docs/4c72539b-d66b-48de-afbc-94febd147180
  7. Cant save MS Word docs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant save MS Word docs: Since i have upgraded to Win 10 i can no longer save any documents i create with MS Word. I try to save and this error messages pops up every time, and now i cant save any projects i create. 22458
  8. Can't save word possessor docs.

Can't save word possessor docs.: When I create a doc in MS Word 2013, WordPerfect 12 or Open Office 4.1.1 and click "Save As", a small screen pops up and says "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact administrator to obtain permission. Never had this problem in transitions with 95, 98, XP...
  9. OneDrive and open Word docs

OneDrive and open Word docs: Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage. Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight. In the course of that time, I make a lot of...
  10. Turn off Animation when saving Word doc? (Win 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off Animation when saving Word doc? (Win 10): Hello friends, I am new to the forum. I am a former software developer and can usually troubleshoot most pc issues, but this one has me stumped. I have a new HP laptop running Windows 10, with Office 2000 installed. When I save a Word document, there is a bizarre...