Windows 10: What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

Discus and support What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'd like to know if there are differences between doing a fresh install and reset the computer through the settings app. I don't understand the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nicola De Ieso, May 1, 2020.

1. What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

Hi,

I'd like to know if there are differences between doing a fresh install and reset the computer through the settings app.

I don't understand the differences between the two options apart from the fact that the fresh install scan for updates and then reset the computer, while the reset feature just reset Windows.

Are there any other differences?

Thanks.

:)

Nicola De Ieso, May 1, 2020
  2. GBU
    gbu Win User

Fresh Install or Reset PC?

When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function?
    There is also an Advanced startup option.

I want to start completely fresh and do a clean install but really not sure which option i should use.

3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, May 1, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

Does doing a fresh install make a difference

I've gone both routes...main PC fresh install.. main laptop upgrade. Kid PC1 upgrade, Kid PC2 fresh install. All are stable.

The upgrade creates a Windows.old directory it is supposed to remove after 30-days which is supposed to allow you to rollback, which seems to work best post-1511 in my experience.

I will say this, if you have better drivers and software installed that isn't supported natively in 10, you're better-off doing an upgrade to keep those features and drivers more intact. That I have found for some older hardware where the driver support stops at Windows 7 or 8.

In the days of yore, a fresh install was always preferred...but Microsoft has done a pretty good job of allowing in-place upgrades to actually be carried out with much greater success to the point on 10 I could really recommend going either way. If you like how your system is right now and want to give 10 a go, here's what I recommend.

• Download Macrium Reflect Free.
    • Create a full disk image on a USB hard drive or spare hard drive. Create bootable media as well.
    • Upgrade to Windows 10.
    • Enjoy = Profit.
    • Issues = Rollback, restore from image or fresh OS install. Now you have options and all of them lead to you not losing anything! *Big Grin What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC? :D
    EDIT: I should add I've seen some experiences like @rtwjunkie states, so here's some more tips.

• Open CMD in Windows, run as administrator.
    • Run CHKDSK against C:, if errors, perform repair, if not repairable, replace drive. If pass or drive replaced continue.
    • Run SFC /Scannow, if issues not found or issues repaired, continue. If not, report back and I can assist with further commands to get your Windows 8 system back up to snuff.
    • Verify drivers, system, programs stable. Perform disk cleanup, defrag/trim, etc. Remove unwanted junk.
    • BACKUP your data before performing any major process like upgrading. This should be common sense, but many choose to ignore this and then greatly regret it.
    • If OC'd, verify your system is stable or remove OC prior to upgrade process...this will reduce the chances of data corruption and upgrade failure, either of which could lead to a failed upgrade and no longer bootable OS.
    • Run MBAM, Defender, whatever you have for AV to ensure your system isn't obviously infected prior to upgrading, see Sol's TPU AV guide if you need assistance.
    • Once your system is clean, stable and smooth...go back to the list above this one and let us know how it goes!
    *Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 1, 2020
Thema:

What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

1. What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC? - Similar Threads - What's difference between

2. hello! What is the difference between resetting PC from System>Recovery and downloading...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hello! What is the difference between resetting PC from System>Recovery and downloading...: hello! What is the difference between resetting PC from System>Recovery and downloading installation media, ISO file like Windows 11 from Microsoft's official website?In which case should I choose Reset PC and in which case should I choose option to download the installation...
  3. What's the difference between a hard reset and reinstalling Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between a hard reset and reinstalling Windows?: Now I'm not talking about doing a soft reset. You know the one that it keeps your files. I'm talking about a hard reset. The one that deletes everything. What's the difference between doing this and reinstalling OS all together?...
  4. What's the difference between a hard reset and reinstalling Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between a hard reset and reinstalling Windows?: Now I'm not talking about doing a soft reset. You know the one that it keeps your files. I'm talking about a hard reset. The one that deletes everything. What's the difference between doing this and reinstalling OS all together?...
  5. What's the difference between Fresh Start and resetting your PC but keeping your files?...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the difference between Fresh Start and resetting your PC but keeping your files?...: So my PC is suffering from serious performance issues and I need to reset it but I want to keep my files; which one should I do? Reset and keep my files or Fresh Start instead? submitted by /u/skull082-2 [link] [comments]...
  6. What is the difference between a factory reset and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between a factory reset and...: What is the difference between a factory reset and (I understand what a factory reset is) and creating a new user administrator and then deleting an old user administrator leaving only the new user. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks 132232
  7. What Is The Difference Between A "Windows Reset" and A "Repair/Install

What Is The Difference Between A "Windows Reset" and A "Repair/Install: I am just curious ... what is the difference between the "Windows Reset" option under Recovery and a "repair/install"? 130080
  8. What Is The Difference Between A "Windows Reset" and A "Repair/Install

in Windows 10 Support
    What Is The Difference Between A "Windows Reset" and A "Repair/Install: I am just curious ... what is the difference between the "Windows Reset" option under Recovery and a "repair/install"? 130080
  9. Fresh Install or Reset PC?

Fresh Install or Reset PC?: When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function? There is also an Advanced startup option. I want to start completely fresh and do a clean install but really not sure which...
  10. What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'?: In File Explorer I can see a number of ways to access my files. For example, if I wanted to go to my Pictures; I can go straight to Libraries >Pictures and make a selection Or I can go to 'This PC'> Pictures and make a selection So what is the difference? I know I am...