Windows 10: What's the Difference Between chkdsh /r and SFC/ scannow?

Discus and support What's the Difference Between chkdsh /r and SFC/ scannow? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Doesn't SFC/ scannow repair, or attempt to repair, any errors it finds? Computer's running fine, so I don't need to run either one. Just curious.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mr Ed, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

What's the Difference Between chkdsh /r and SFC/ scannow?

Doesn't SFC/ scannow repair, or attempt to repair, any errors it finds? Computer's running fine, so I don't need to run either one. Just curious. Thanks for helping this geek in training.

:)

Mr Ed, Jul 30, 2017

2. What is the difference between the "pro" and the "pro_highress" pics from my Lumia 1520?

The pro (5 MP photo) is use to quick preview in your phone or send it to others more easily. When you upload the same photo to Facebook or others website, phone will choose the 5 MP pic to upload due to smaller file size and usually these website will automatically
    convert the upload photos to smaller size (and resolution) photos.

So what is the function of 16 MP photos?

16 MP photos let you to crop the photos without losing the resolution.

Let say you took a photo of 16 MP and the phone stored the photo as 5 MP version and 16 MP version. Once you want to crop the photo, the phone will use the 16 MP version of the photo to crop. If the size of photo after crop still bigger than 5 MP, then the
    phone will replace the original 5 MP photo so that you still get a 5 MP photo after crop the photo.

One thing need to take attention, the crop function that use 16 MP photo seems like just work only you open the photo by using the "reframe" function IN the "Lumia Camera" app.

You can try zoom in the photo inside your album and look for the details and then do the same thing bu in the "reframe" function in camera. You should see the photo can zoom in more compare to the previous one. This is because the "reframe" function will
    use the 16 MP version of the photo. (38 MP in Lumia 1020 )

One more thing, if you want to delete the photos, better do it in your phone so that you don't forget to delete the 16 MP version of the photo. If you just delete the 5 MP version photo by connection the phone to your PC, the 16 MP version photo still store
    inside your phone but you CAN'T see it in your phone album and these files will be the trash files inside your phone. (Some photo app can detect these "trash photos")

Hope this will help you!

Neo Qi Jian, Jul 30, 2017
  3. What is the difference between the "pro" and the "pro_highress" pics from my Lumia 1520?

Hi

My Lumia 1520 is set to take both a 5MP and a 16MP picture with each shot. When I browse my phone storage in Windows explorer I can see both a 5MP named date+pro and a 16MP picture named date+pro+highress. That all makes sense. But when I look at my OneDrive,
    only the date+pro pictures get uploaded, and now they are no longer 5MP but 16MP pictures.

So what is up with the highress pictures? Is it save to assume that since my phone is set to upload at best quality that the uploaded pictures are actually the date+pro+highress pictures, but they get renamed to just date+pro? I really only want to keep
    the 16MP pictures, som how does all this ad up..?

Best regards

Morten Vejle Sørensen, Jul 30, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Chkdsk checks the hard disk for errors in the file system bad blocks etc. Sfc checks the windows files to see if they are correct

Samuria, Jul 30, 2017
  5. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks for the explanation, Samuria. However, don't they both also perform a repair or attempt do do so?

Mr Ed, Aug 1, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    They both do repairs one for the file structure and sfc for the files them selves

Samuria, Aug 1, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    As stated, as Mechanical HDD's age, they get bad sectors and blocks. When you run Check Disk with the /R switch, it scans the HDD, sector by sector (that's why it takes so long) If it finds a bad sector, it will try and move the file to a good sector near by and mark the sector it came from as Bad so Windows won't try to use it again. The longer a scan takes, the more bad sectors you have. if there are too many bad sectors, Check Disk will stall or fail. You then should run the HDD Manufactures Diagnostic program. Check Disk also checks for Orphaned files and removes them or finds their home same as running Check Disk with the /F switch.
    Occasionally thru HDD or file degradation, viruses etc, your Windows files may become corrupted or may become missing. SFC /scannow will look for Windows files that are missing or corrupted and replace them with good system files.

spunk, Aug 5, 2017
  8. reddice Win User

Nothing. They never fix anything.

reddice, Aug 9, 2017
  9. Mr Ed Win User
    Please elaborate. Thanks.

Mr Ed, Aug 10, 2017
  10. reddice Win User
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. 99% of the time when there is issues.

reddice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the Difference Between chkdsh /r and SFC/ scannow? - Similar Threads - What's Difference Between

2. Sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sfc /scannow: Hi.I run sfc /scannow as administrator and after finished I got :Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them .Then I restart pc .My question should I do dism or not because I search about it and didn't find an answer. Thanx for help...
  3. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Hello! When I try to enter the command, it gives me an error:sfc : The term 'sfc' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.At...
  4. SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC /Scannow: When I do the SFC /Scannow from the CMD and within the admin area I am seeing after the scan the Verify Only is showing as No repair operation is performed.Is this informing me that I have to do the repair or no repair is needed from my end?Kenneth...
  5. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  6. sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?: OK, so sometimes possibly you're better off not knowing. Running Windows 10, 1909 and everything is functioning perfectly, or so I thought. No errors, nothing, not a single hiccup. Then I run sfc /scannow, maybe just because I'm curious, maybe too much time on my hands. In...
  7. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  8. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  10. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between sfc /scannow and chkdsk /scan

2. chkdsh /c