Windows 10: What's the difference in laptop monitor types?

Discus and support What's the difference in laptop monitor types? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a HP Pavilion dv6 a couple of years ago and am marginally satisfied. I ordered it with upgraded RAM, CPU, and blu-ray burner. What I didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lbeck, May 18, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

What's the difference in laptop monitor types?

I bought a HP Pavilion dv6 a couple of years ago and am marginally satisfied. I ordered it with upgraded RAM, CPU, and blu-ray burner. What I didn't pay attention to is the monitor. Now that I am into photo editing there is frustration with the picture looking different based on the position of the monitor - especially brightness and contrast. A more savvy friend said that I should have ordered the laptop with a better monitor.

I'm now thinking of getting an external monitor. Hopefully one that is portable rather than one designed to be used with a desktop machine. I only use the laptop on vacation (like now) and would like something where the stand folds into the body or similar.

My main need is to know what type of monitor to look for: LED, LCD, tft or whatever.

Thanks for any advice.

:)

lbeck, May 18, 2016
  2. DR DRW Win User

Reinstalled Windows 10 doesn't detect 2nd external monitor

When connected with the cable to a different laptop, the monitor still turns on, but the laptop does not detect it.

My laptop does detect a different external monitor connected to it. Before redownloading WIN10, I was using my laptop screen and two different monitors with no trouble (except that the older monitor, the one
    that now doesn't work, got pretty twitchy when I used Skype).

DR DRW, May 18, 2016
  3. ASams23 Win User
    Windows 10 and displaying content on two external monitors.

Windows 10 display options is not detecting both my external monitors. It detects the laptop and one of the external monitors. I need to display different screens of information on each external monitor. What do I need to do to get both external monitors
    recognized?

ASams23, May 18, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

TFT = thin film transistor. (I believe that it's basically equivalent to active matrix.) I haven't seen a passive matrix monitor in many years. I only saw them built into laptops. You wouldn't want passive matrix even if you could find one.

Most flat panel displays are LCD. The exceptions I've seen are OLED (organic LED). I'm not sure whether any stand-alone OLED computer monitors are currently available.

LED is somewhat misleading. Currently, it usually means an LCD display with an LED backlight. (The older standard uses fluorescent tubes.) It's preferred because it uses less power, can provide better color fidelity, and (mainly in TVs) can provide an extended dynamic range.

There are a variety of LCD types. The most primitive (and cheapest) uses TN (twisted nematic) panels. They have a quick response time, but also have issue with color shift with viewing angle. IPS (in plane switching) panels are preferred for things like image editing. There are other types of panels, but these are the two commonest.

I have never looked at monitors intended for portable use. It may be a fairly limited market. (Buyer's remorse.)

bobkn, May 19, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Over the years Notebooks have come to have the same power as desktops except in the display panel, hard to be changed and that does impact getting the best video and graphics editing. My 15.6" Pavilion g6 has a VGA port for a projector or external monitor, many newer ones are coming with an HDMI port for the same purpose. The LCD panel is not a true monitor, relies on the motherboard and/or an interface between the motherboard and the panel for operation. LCD monitors do use the same type panel but include more hardware in them, some can even be used as televisions.

Berton, May 19, 2016
  6. lbeck Win User
    yeah, I guess buyers remorse describes my dilemma.

So from reading these responses there isn't a good recommendation for an external monitor for a laptop. My HP does have HDMI out. When I really want to avoid the changing of brightness/contrast with display tilt I plug into my HDMI port on a TV.

Thanks for your inputs. I'll continue to entertain other advice if someone comes up with an idea. I did find a portable here but won't buy it without further research into the quality of the displayed image. Also, I'd like something in the 20" range.

lbeck, May 19, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    I'm dubious about monitors that only have a USB interface. USB 3, though, should have enough bandwidth. Does your laptop have one?

Here's an example that is USB powered:

ASUS MB169B1 - Newegg.com

It's IPS, so angle of incidence effects should be minimal. (15.6")

bobkn, May 19, 2016
  8. What's the difference in laptop monitor types?

My daughter has an HP Pavilion Dv6 she bought three years ago the display is awesome I'm just thinking that you might not have the correct driver for your display I will check that first if that's not the case consider also upgrading the video card then good luck I like that external monitor thatbobkn posted

gijoetech1, May 19, 2016
  9. lbeck Win User
    I agree that the monitor is great for straight-on viewing and most apps like text and data. Bring up a photo on your daughter's Dv6 and tilt the monitor forward and backward. You will see a dramatic change in brightness and contrast. This makes finalizing the photo edit unadviseable. I've finalized an edit only to find that when I viewed it on my desktop or HDMI-TV the edits needed to be redone.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the difference in laptop monitor types? - Similar Threads - What's difference laptop

2. what is the difference?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the difference?: What is the difference between the two versions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/f5b377c8-d7ed-4304-ad22-9ec47724ef96
  3. what is the difference?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is the difference?: What is the difference between the two versions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/f5b377c8-d7ed-4304-ad22-9ec47724ef96
  4. What's the difference

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's the difference: I currently live in Japan and need to buy a new laptop. All of the laptops that suit my need say they are running windows 10 64bit Japanese version and I'm not sure what the difference would be to the one I am used to in New Zealand if there is any. Also would I be able to...
  5. What do the different types of Microsoft Product Keys mean?

in Windows 10 News
    What do the different types of Microsoft Product Keys mean?: [ATTACH]Many software programs at the time of installation require users to enter a Product […] This article What do the different types of Microsoft Product Keys mean? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Different types of bluescreens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different types of bluescreens: For the past few weeks I have been getting four different types of bluescreens. The most common one is memory_management, but I have also been getting irql_not_less_or_equal, pfn_list_corrupt and pool_corruption_in_file_area. I've tried to fix it a number of times now and I...
  7. What is the difference

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference: What is the difference, which one is best to download? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/044fb396-f3fd-4b50-ad82-7539bafd07e8
  8. What is the difference in laptop screen technology

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the difference in laptop screen technology: I'm aware that this is intended to be a software forum, but I've gotten some of my best help here and I have a hardware question. I do a lot of photo editing and I'm in the market for a new laptop. My 6 year old HP Pavilion dv6 has served me well except for the screen and I...
  9. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  10. What type of Monitor is best for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    What type of Monitor is best for Windows 10: I'm currently using Windows 7 and am excited about the roll out of Windows 10. I skipped Windows 8 because of all the bad reviews. I will be keeping my Windows 7 computer (which is flawless) and buying a brand new machine with Windows 10 as soon as it's available. My...