Windows 10: What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive?

Discus and support What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive? My OS drive is 48 GB, currently 14 GB is free space, page file is 8 GB, Hibernation is 6 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Takeshi18, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Takeshi18 Win User

What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive?

My OS drive is 48 GB, currently 14 GB is free space, page file is 8 GB, Hibernation is 6 GB

:)

Takeshi18, Dec 12, 2017

2. how to format phone memory of xpress music 5130?

My 5130 xpress music always shows no enough memory space and is not updating library. i have reset the phone and there is no games or applications in it and absolutely not a thing in phone memory that can be deleted. now all the files in it are system files.
    what shoud i do?please help me..

amazingrace---01, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Why can't I upgrade to Windows 10?

I have a Dell Inspiron N7110 and my Laptop meets all requirements for Windows 10, but I do not have the Windows Icon in my Taskbar. I also have installed all updates that were available for my computer.

Here are my computer specs.

• Latest OS: Windows 7 SP1

• (Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1)

• Processor: 2.2GHz

(Minimum 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC)

• RAM: 4GB | 32-bt

(Minimum 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit)

• Hard disk space: 393GB | 32-bit

(Minimum 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS)

• Graphics card: DirectX11 and WDDM 1.1

(Minimum DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver)

• Display: 1600x900

(Minimum 800x600)

Now, why can't I get the update?

- Thanks for the help, Austin

AustinSmithson, Dec 12, 2017
  4. What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive?

Welcome to our forum Takeshi18

I use no less than 120 gb for my 'C' partition where the operating system and programs are installed.

Windows 7 and 10 need at least 10 to 15% free space to work properly.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 12, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    And remember to allow for the creation of Windows.old - about the same as your Windows folder- when upgrading (each major apporx 6 monthly build).

dalchina, Dec 13, 2017
  6. Windows will not let you install, if it the partition is less than 30GB. Windows upgrade/MCT will fail, if the partition is less than 50GB or so, it does not matter how much free space you have, it is stupid by design, tested myself, I went from 50GB to 41GB.

I have 41GB partition, 13GB used and 27GB free, of course that depends on your settings, installed software, etc.

TairikuOkami, Dec 13, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    For the free space these are some of the entries that may appear in the event viewer if the free space is insufficient:

Code: Event ID: 1018 The dump file at location: C:\windows\memory.dump was deleted because the disk volume had less than 25 GB free space Event ID: 49 Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory. Event ID: 25 The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.[/quote] Kernel dump storage and clean up behavior in Windows 7 WER Services

zbook, Dec 13, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Completely wrong. All you need to do is plug in a usb drive as temporary storage during update. It is even clever enough to put Windows.old on usb drive. Of course usb drive needs to be big enough.

I have installed it in a 16 GB device before now. You do need about 4GB minimum spare on drive to do upgrades.

cereberus, Dec 13, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    I don't know the minimum size that Windows will refuse to install into, but I deliberately (as I think cereberus will remember) do set an initial size of just 20Gb for the initial install and then expand afterwards, currently to 70Gb as that covers all my needs.

Traditional drives need some free space in order to run defrag routines and so on (as mentioned earlier), SSD maybe similar in order to consolidate files etc.

Mooly, Dec 13, 2017
  10. You could just install Windows 10 and let it make it's own partitions.
    Then after everything is working as it should partition the drive as you please.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the minimum space I shoud leave on my OS drive? - Similar Threads - What's minimum space

2. How can you determinate how much minimum left space in your Windows OS to show what i wrote...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can you determinate how much minimum left space in your Windows OS to show what i wrote...: you have low OS storage device space depending on your pc specifications in a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until 30/04/2023 15:59 pm UTC -5 Bogota Hour Zone Time ?...
  3. How can you determinate how much minimum left space in your Windows OS to show what i wrote...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can you determinate how much minimum left space in your Windows OS to show what i wrote...: you have low OS storage device space depending on your pc specifications in a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until 30/04/2023 15:59 pm UTC -5 Bogota Hour Zone Time ?...
  4. What shoud I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What shoud I do?: I really don't know what happened but my Windows Firewall automatically pops up then my pc started restarting after that my files are removed it says 'tyos'. I tried System Recovery but still not working. When I tried logging in to my acc in Facebook, I can't open it. I think...
  5. What shoud I do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What shoud I do?: I really don't know what happened but my Windows Firewall automatically pops up then my pc started restarting after that my files are removed it says 'tyos'. I tried System Recovery but still not working. When I tried logging in to my acc in Facebook, I can't open it. I think...
  6. What shoud I do?

7. W 11 minimum free drive space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W 11 minimum free drive space?: I was told my computer was ready to upgrade. But when I tried, during install, I was told I did not have enough drive space and to try again. The entire Windows 11 download was then deleted and now I am shown again that it is ready. I have about 8 GB free space, I may be able...
  8. W 11 minimum free drive space?

W 11 minimum free drive space?: I was told my computer was ready to upgrade. But when I tried, during install, I was told I did not have enough drive space and to try again. The entire Windows 11 download was then deleted and now I am shown again that it is ready. I have about 8 GB free space, I may be able...
  9. Two OS drives ? For what ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two OS drives ? For what ?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ct0nl2b253p41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=593cabdc6c20455733e5fb87895452af6d724b69 Hello Reddit, I'm a bit confused as to why I have OS(C) and OS(D). Windows 10 is installed once only in OS(C) SSD, upon checking defragment...
  10. Storage spaces - My OS drive failed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage spaces - My OS drive failed.: I have a small PC with 3 hard drives, 1 is the OS drive and the other 2 are in a drive pool using Storage Spaces. Now my OS drive has failed and my Macrium backup files are in the Drive Pool. I have a new drive for my OS. What is my best course of action? *cry 60329