Windows 10: What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities?

Discus and support What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What does Microsoft call these?............................................................ [img] 48511 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Fafhrd Win User

What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities?

What does Microsoft call these?............................................................
    What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities? [​IMG]

:)

Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 stuck at spinning dots

so when I tried to boot up and power on Windows I am greeted by the hp logo and spinning dots, after a while the hp logo disappears and the spinning dots just stay there but however when the hp logo disappears the spinning dots spin at a lower frame
    rate and the screen gets brighter. It just stays like this and I don't know what to do I can't get the system to work

angelohuang_982, Apr 26, 2016
  3. windows 10 does not load, stuck at preparing automatic repair, ISO does not work just windows logo and spinning dots , any fix ?

I have tried several times. I have changed the boot order in the bios and have gotten to boot from usb stick , but only get the windows logo and dots spinning in a circle. The iso does not do anything other than give the windows logo and keeps on with the
    spinning dots. Same with preparing automatic

repair, I get the HP logo with preparing automatic repair and the spinning dots and it does nothing else does not go to diagnosing your pc. I have tried booting from dvd with ISO on it and get nothing but HP logo and spinning dots.

nightrodder50, Apr 26, 2016
  4. What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities?

the loading symbol? I don't think that's something that would've been given symbolic meaning. Most likely the designer just thought it would be cool/appropriate and then didn't see the need to give it a name.

What's the name for the resource file?

FuturDreamz, Apr 26, 2016
  5. This one I call the "blue circle of impatience".

smartcooky, Apr 26, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Some call it "Tail chaser".

CountMike, Apr 26, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 26, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

I also call it "Annoying" when it temporarily stops and don't know if it crashed or not.

CountMike, Apr 26, 2016
  9. I just call it Microsoft files loading as mine only spins half a turn and then page loads to sign in with password
    The blue one I call loading web page again quick on my laptop

hTconeM9user, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks for all the responses, so far!

I can't find the resource file definitively for any I've seen, like during setup for instance - I imagine they could be found with a Resource hacker app. Do resource hackers work for Modern Apps?

The animated gif I posted I found with google - someone had reproduced what MS does, and named it with random characters.

The blue circle - smartcooky's "blue circle of impatience" has been termed "the blue toilet bowl of death" I believe, in reverence of the ancient BSOD and "The Green ribbon of death" "progress bar" (because it bars progress I assume) that occurs when File Explorer has to check through a load of files before showing them.

Edwin's "Throbber" seems official, but hardly apt, definitely not definitive, and somewhat suggestive *Redface

I've seen "travelling dots" for the linear form which looks like traffic bunching on the M25 before the variable speed limit tamed it somewhat.

However, there are several spinning dots gifs in windows, just a few here:

User/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/AC/%23!001/MicrosoftEdge/Cache/FD2ZSXMF/progress[1].gif

User/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/AC/%23!001/MicrosoftEdge/Cache/FD2ZSXMF/rsp-loading24x24[1].gif

User/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Windows.Spartan_cw5n1h2txyewy/AC/%23!001/Spartan/Cache/DXU85KU6/page-spinner[1].gif

and so on.

If there was a visual "Highway Code" for Windows, which named these animated symbols, we could unambiguously describe these loading/process/spinners/etc., without having to go through lugubrious descriptions of them, even better if we could right click on the image and send the resource reference to some note-taking app.

I shall keep on waiting if you keep them coming. It was so much simpler with an hourglass cursor.

Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016
  11. The middle one is what I get when my Toshiba laptop first kicks in but then only spins twice before the Microsoft one appears,
    Then half a turn (unless an upgrade or update,) before the lock screen appears along with the Wi-Fi app then click lock screen and enter password and 15 seconds after that I am at desktop ready to go.

hTconeM9user, Apr 26, 2016
  12. unb0b Win User
    I was trying to imagine what physical entity this might represent. Best I could come up with was frictionless falling balls on a möbius strip. Which is not quite right. But I like it anyway. FFBoaMS /fboʊmz/

unb0b, Jan 16, 2018
  13. What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities?

Actually the dots look a bit like something you'd see in a wheel bearing if you removed the race.

legacy7955, Jan 16, 2018
  14. KCR
    KCR Win User
    Yes, I've seen wheel bearings just as you describe, and, most often, the wheel and hub still contained the race. . . . lol

I've been reading about these "objects" for a long time, and. . .
    I believe the "spinning dots" represent the actualization of a property, heretofor, considered impossible. . .

. . . lol

15. bordi Win User

Those beautiful circling/spinning dots, I waited almost 3 months to get them back *Smile

bordi, Jan 16, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the official name for spinning dots... and other curiosities? - Similar Threads - What's official name

2. Windows 10 spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 spinning dots: I was playing a game called league of legends then my pc restarted for no reason and i get stuck on spinning dots for like 20 mins right now, can i get some help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-spinning-dots/81ddcd2e-e5ff-4f3d-b6e1-12e2a3694471
  3. Spinning Dots of Doom

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spinning Dots of Doom: Building a new desktop (with Asus XII hero board), after the Win 10 Pro install, every boot I am stuck at the spinning dots of happiness for 15 or 20 minutes. I've run all updates, updated I believe all chipset drivers from Asus (minus one.. the one that said.. you can never...
  4. Windows stuck on spinning dots

Windows stuck on spinning dots: Hi, I i have a desktop, which has been running Windows 10, updated from Windows 7. Yesterday when I tried to start it up, it got stuck at the black screen with the Asus logo and black spinning usually, but now frozen dots. In the past it has occasionally been slow at this...
  5. Spinning dots

Spinning dots: My computer I use for my classes stated Microsoft update was due. So I waited and it auto restarted and did the update. Now all I have is spinning dots. That is it. All my student's information is on that computer plus their pictures and other events they have participated...
  6. spinning dots

in Windows 10 Customization
    spinning dots: let me start by saying that my laptop is working perfectly, and windows 10 is working perfectly. I turn on the laptop, it's a Dell. I get the Dell logo screen as it posts. the screen blinks and the dell logo comes back on with the spinning dots. I want to change that...
  7. Windows 10 Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Spinning Dots: My Acer laptop was started logging and eventually it is hanging that I decided to reformat drive C. After I reformated it once, the issue still exsits so that I decided to reformat all the drivers and reinstall Windows 10. After two reformats, I got stuck on spinning dots for...
  8. Stuck at Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at Spinning Dots: I have a Dell Precision 7910 on windows 10 1803. I updated a couple weeks ago through windows update. I have booted the machine several times since updating. A few days ago I update the NVIDIA driver. I have dual K620 cards. Booted a couple of times sine that update. Today...
  9. Stuck at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at spinning dots: Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad English. My issue is pretty straight forward: last night I left my computer powered on, and when I woke up, I had a Windows update screen stuck at 100%. The mouse didn't work, everything was frozen. I restarted my PC and it froze at...
  10. Spinning Dots at Boot Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Spinning Dots at Boot Up: I have win 10 x64 on a Dell XPS 8700. It had Win 8.1. Been on Win 10 since release. Today my son went to reboot the computer and at boot, just got spinning dots. He turned it off, same thing. Got to a diagnostic and it said it could not repair. So I decided to use Acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. spinning dots name

2. spinning loading symbol name

3. spinning dots on load screen called

4. what is the spinning dots called,
  5. name of the microsoft spinning dots