Windows 10: What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates...

Discus and support What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a history of having some feature or piece of hardware stop working after getting windows updates, so I personally wait as long as possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AliasInvstgtions, Jan 27, 2021.

1. What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates...

I have a history of having some feature or piece of hardware stop working after getting windows updates, so I personally wait as long as possible before updating just because I know I’m due in for a headache when it happens. In the past few months to a year, I’ve now noticed that when I have a pending update, rather than two options, I have 4 which are update and shut down, update and restart, shut down, and restart. So, I do shut down without updating. Then, when I boot up, it updates anyways. Why?

submitted by /u/AliasInvstgtions
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AliasInvstgtions, Jan 27, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

btarunr, Jan 27, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    Intel Readies P55 Chipset B3 Stepping Update

Intel's is readying a hardware update for its P55 Express chipset, currently the only core-logic for the company's brand new socket LGA-1156 processor platform. The new B3 stepping of the P55 PCH will bring with it a little more than new MM number and S-spec numbers. A list of changes is as follows:
    • New MM number and S-spec numbers for the converted products;
    • Firmware and minor BIOS updates are required with the conversion;
    • Processor MRC/microcode update required to enable future processors;
    • Recommended storage driver upgrade from Intel MSM 8.9 to Intel RST 9.5.
    Although it is listed that the MRC update enables 'future processors', Intel, in a statement issued to X-bit labs assured that the current B2 stepping of the chipset (found on current socket LGA-1156 motherboards) does not leave out support for any of Intel's new LGA-1156 processors that are slated for release in the very near future. The dual-core "Clarkale" 32 nm processor will be supported by both B2 and B3 steppings of the chipset.

P55 B3 stepping is pin-identical to P55 B2, and hence motherboard vendors will not have to come up with new designs. Sampling of the new stepping began as early as on October 02, 2009, and it is scheduled for shipment to manufacturers by the 7th of December, 2009. P55 is the performance core-logic for the LGA-1156 platform. It supports Core i5 and Core i7 "Lynnfield" processors with discrete graphics.

Source: X-bit labs

btarunr, Jan 27, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates...

Intel E5200 Gets Updated, R0 Stepping Coming Up

Intel's Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processor is getting on course for a specifications update. The chip will feature in a new, improved Wolfdale-2M core, spec'd out as the R0 stepping, from its current M0 stepping. The new stepping is intended to add new instructions, power-management features, and bring about changes in the chip-package. A short list of known changes is as follows:
    • CPUID changed from 10677 to 1067A
    • Power State Indicator (PSI) support with Intel 4 series chipsets
    • New instructions - XSAVE and XRSTOR
    • New S-spec and MM numbers
    • New halide-free chip package
    Due to the changed CPUID, users may require BIOS updates to detect the CPU. According to the company, E5200 R0 should be out by April 13.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

btarunr, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates...

1. What’s the point of giving me the option to shut down without updating if it still updates... - Similar Threads - What’s point giving

2. Windows 11 shuts down for update without warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shuts down for update without warning: Windows 11 shut down while editing an important file without warning. Please help me fix this bug. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-shuts-down-for-update-without-warning/aa687bf8-be7f-47d5-b733-5dab13dd75b0
  3. Windows 11 shuts down for update without warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 shuts down for update without warning: Windows 11 shut down while editing an important file without warning. Please help me fix this bug. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-shuts-down-for-update-without-warning/aa687bf8-be7f-47d5-b733-5dab13dd75b0
  4. Shutting down Windows 10 without updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shutting down Windows 10 without updating: Is there any way to shut down Windows 10 without updating? As I am affected by the cold weather and have rolling blackouts, I need to know if there's any way to safely shut my computer down without updating in the event one is pending. Having to hold the power button to shut...
  5. How to shut down without updating. Usual options don't work.

How to shut down without updating. Usual options don't work.: I've got a broken update that is trying to install itself when I shut down or restart. Used to be just on the restart. Every time I try to update, it goes until about 80% and then breaks. Reverting to pre-update and the computer is still trying to update. Edit: Won't let me...
  6. Shut down and Update

Shut down and Update: Hi, my sister's computer she did an update and then shut down but the computer says shutdown with circle going aroungd for quite some time ? What does this means ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-and-update/c5aa5d9b-f71e-4714-a7a5-776f241233ed
  7. Windows doesn't give me an option to shut down nor restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows doesn't give me an option to shut down nor restart: As of yesterday, for some reason my computer no longer gives me an option to shut down or restart. I can sign out, but it only lets me sign back in. Obviously I can just use the power button, but it's slower since I have to hold it for a bit. Does anyone know what's wrong...
  8. No option to shut down without updating. Any workaround?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No option to shut down without updating. Any workaround?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/harambewasabrother [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dvfmv1/no_option_to_shut_down_without_updating_any/
  9. everlasting "Update and shut down" option

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    everlasting "Update and shut down" option: Every time i want to power off my pc, instead the normal and usual "Shut down" option I get the typical "Update and shut down" which i guess is normal if you are in the middle of an update process, but it doesn't matter how many times I restart / shut down, the "Update and...
  10. Shut down options after updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down options after updates: [img] I went to shut down my PC last night, after I have downloaded updates via Windows Update, and the shutdown menu came up with both Shutdown and Update and Shutdown. When I shut it down that night, I just clicked shutdown, but it is still here now. I don't want to click...