Windows 10: What's the problem with accounts when upgrading to Win10?

Discus and support What's the problem with accounts when upgrading to Win10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the past I've done a 'keep nothing' upgrade to Win10 and it was smooth sailing. I had the error once before and my solution was to do the upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksdixon, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ksdixon Win User

What's the problem with accounts when upgrading to Win10?

In the past I've done a 'keep nothing' upgrade to Win10 and it was smooth sailing.
    I had the error once before and my solution was to do the upgrade by keeping my files and folders instead.
    Now? I get account issues every time I try to upgrade to Win10, no matter if I'm using the normal Build 7400 that you get on Win8's Windows Update; or an iso straight to the recent Build 10130.

The Error:
    At this rate I'm going to have to do a new re-upgrade, keeping my files and settings, just so that I don't have account issues. That's rediculous.

Anyone know what's happening here?

:)

ksdixon, Jun 17, 2015

2. Problem with GMAIL since upgrading to WIN 10 When typing longer emails, email will disappear before sending..

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated. I appreciate the troubleshooting you tried on the computer.

If the issue is specific to edge I suggest you to perform a sfc scan on the computer and check if it helps.

Perform a sfc scan on the computer to check if there are any corruptions on the computer. Please follow the below link to perform a sfc scan on the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Please reply with the results, We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 17, 2015
  3. Barb Shaw Win User
    Problem with GMAIL since upgrading to WIN 10 When typing longer emails, email will disappear before sending..

Thanks for your help. I always could access Gmail with EDGE, but the problem was that longer emails were cut off. (when Sending)

I am back to using Gmail in Chrome now as I don't wish to take any more chances with losing emails in the middle of typing them. So for me, problem is solved. But I do wish to says thanks for your help; I am taking the easy way out rather than figuring
    out what was going on!

EDGE works fine for me otherwise ...

Barb Shaw, Jun 17, 2015
  4. ksdixon Win User

Sigh...

Did an update to 10130 iso using 'keep files and settings'.
    Got through it all to the log-in screen "Welcome Back, Karl!"
    Couldn't press the account name in order to log in.
    Tried pressing the Next button, and it got stuck.
    The button looked like it was pressed-down, the mouse cursor had an activity wheel, but it never went-on.
    Tried pressing again on the already-pressed-down Next button, the screen went black and the the machine rebooted.
    Absolute shit-show, MS.

ksdixon, Jun 17, 2015
  5. Karl,

It's great that you're testing these scenarios - make sure you're feeding the information back to MS.

They're (MS) is working through the account issues - I've seen most of those that you posted, even on a clean install.

The latest issue I came across made me laugh. I have two sign-in accounts set up, one Local account, and one MS account. When I looked at Settings, the Local account offered the opportunity to change to a Local account, and yep .... the MS account offered me the opportunity to change to a MS account.

What's the problem with accounts when upgrading to Win10? [​IMG]

All you can do at this point is find humor in some of these issues.

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  6. ksdixon Win User
    Thanks. Glad to see the Local vs MS Account thing isn't just happening to me.

See the annoying thing is, like I've said before, I've done the upgrade to Win10 previously with no problems whatsoever. That's both 'keep nothing' upgrades and 'keep files/settings' upgrades.

Even the first bit early last night, where I managed to get onto Win10 build 10130 by upgrading with a keep nothing, but this gave me the the messed-up situation of a Local and an MS Account, at least I was able to get onto Win10 in some form. Since then though, I blew away Win10 and tried to go from vanilla Win8 straight-up to a Build 10130 iso whilst keeping files, and it wouldn't let me progress past the ''Welcome Back!'' screen. So one moment I can get to Win10 in a messed-up state, the next I can't even get into Win10, as it freezes-up.

The only thing I can think of is maybe I've just screwed-up my partitions too much by upgrading/resetting/re-upgrading? The only reason I bring this up is that my recovery usb drive wud not work at all (says it couldn't be used for resetting the pc), and i had to use diskpart in cmd to blowaway the entire partitions before it would properly use the recovery media.

At this very second I am taking the excruciating process of upgrading to Win8.1, then I'm going to try to ugrade to 7400 through Windows Update and hope that it works that way.

ksdixon, Jun 17, 2015
  7. I'm beginning to question the 100 MB System Reserve partition. It was sufficient to Win7 and Win8, but a few members, including me, ran into some issue or other that was 'resolved' by increasing the System Reserve part to 450 MB.

I don't know how savvy you are with things of this nature, and I don't know enough about your machine to even begin to offer advice.

I'll check back and see how you make out doing what you already started. If after that, you think you might want to play around with the System Reserve and if you need help - I'll be glad to offer what I can.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  8. ksdixon Win User

Ok, so I'm finally updated on Win8.1. Have the upgrade to Win10 flag in my notification tray and have re-reserved my copy... and Windows Update isn't pushing me the 7400 build like it did previously.

So my options are to use the 7400 iso I downloaded from the Windows Insider's page in the past (which is now replaced by an 10130 iso), or use the newer iso to build 10130. What a waste of my time! I could have used an iso to manually upgrade this morning when I got back onto vanilla Win8, FFS!

If MS are pointing Insiders to download 10130 iso on the Insiders page, I guess I should try upgrading using that iso, instead of the older 4700. Since this morning was the only time I've ever gotten the 'next button freezes-up' error, I'm going to try a 'keep files/settings' upgrade to 10130 iso and hope for the best.

ksdixon, Jun 18, 2015
  9. linw Win User
    @Slartybart - my recovery partition is 450MB so that must have been done by a win 10 update.

10. Definitely go with 10.0.130

The disk schema is different for MBR/BIOS and GPT/UEFI installs.

Is your firmware BIOS or UEFI?

Technet info on disk schema:
    UEFI

BIOS

Note: The minimum size on the BIOS configuration page is for a combined WinRE & System partition. The document was obviously updated after Win7 since the Win7 install (and Win8 install for that matter) creates a 100 MB System part on MBR initialized disks. I don't have a UEFI based machine, so I don't have first hand experience with it and rely solely on the documentation.

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2015
  11. ksdixon Win User
    Updates:

- Back on 10130, did a 'keep files/settings' upgrade.
    - After reaching the 'Welcome Back!' page, the Next button worked this time.
    - Run through the usual 'express settings/customize settings' setup.

- I'm very worried that someone who considers themself to be tech savvy, and who'd previously done the update numerous times flawlessly, had so much trouble. Regular people are going to be calling for MS's blood if they encounter problems.

ksdixon, Jun 18, 2015
  12. linw Win User
    @Slarty - mine is a UEFI system and I have two partitions, system and recovery. (Actually, I lie - there is a 1MB unallocated space at the right end!

13. linw Win User

It certainly is a brave step to try to flawlessly convert so many systems to win 10. Especially as most of the failed systems won't have the backup image to fall back on as most of us here would have.

Interesting times for the goto windows fixit people. I am not looking forward to that.

But, who knows, by 29 Jul there may be only a few with problems? Hope so.

14. I thought it might be, the Windows install for UEFI systems seems to be a more 'accurate' disk schema. Accurate in quotes simply because the size of the partitions created more closely match the documentation.

Thanks

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the problem with accounts when upgrading to Win10? - Similar Threads - What's problem accounts

2. Problems about upgrade win8.1 to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems about upgrade win8.1 to win10: I tried to upgrade from win8.1 to win10 with the exe MediaCreationTool22H2.exe downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.But I got a error of message something like "This tool doesn't support this Window version or language.My pc window is:...
  3. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  4. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  5. Problem to upgrade to win11 form win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem to upgrade to win11 form win10: Hello therei have problem upgrade to win11 the PC Health check says "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements but when i open "windows update" there says my PC dosen't currently the system requements for Windows 11! anyone who know how to fix it...
  6. Problem to upgrade to win11 form win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem to upgrade to win11 form win10: Hello therei have problem upgrade to win11 the PC Health check says "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements but when i open "windows update" there says my PC dosen't currently the system requements for Windows 11! anyone who know how to fix it...
  7. What is the problem with Win10 speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the problem with Win10 speed: OK... I have had this problem for awhile. After googling for a long time, I thought it would be more helpful to ask here. Today I turned on my 8-year old Windows 7 which I haven’t used for half a year. I was amazed at how much faster it is than my 3-year old windows 10 which...
  8. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  9. Win10 upgrade graphics problem

Win10 upgrade graphics problem: Hi, I started upgrade to win10 but at one moment I saw on monitor message: Not Optimum mode, recommended mode 1920x1200 60Hz, it is Samsung SyncMaster sa850. I thing this message is from monitor, so there are wrong settings on pc. I made restart, bios works, i can se part of...
  10. Win10 Home->Pro Upgrade Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Home->Pro Upgrade Problem: Hi, This morning I bought Pro for this laptop, via the Store app. It goes to install it right away, after a prompt, the install fails. I try again, checking for updates. Supposedly does it (runs TiWorker in the background, etc.). I reboot, it having been finished (AFAICT)....