Windows 10: What's the purpose of desktop.ini?

Discus and support What's the purpose of desktop.ini? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It has no effect on my desktop whether it's there or deleted. 56475 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboppy, Jul 16, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

What's the purpose of desktop.ini?

It has no effect on my desktop whether it's there or deleted.

:)

rboppy, Jul 16, 2016
  2. techbuzzireland, Jul 16, 2016
  3. 7thSense Win User
    What is the purpose of the save button at the bottom of the screen after you tap a sender's name in an email?

It will store the contact to your Microsoft Account (likely Outlook.com account).

7thSense, Jul 16, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 16, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Brink, although neither link came close to describing the desktop.ini that is on my desktop:
    Code: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769 IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183[/quote]

rboppy, Jul 16, 2016
  6. If you ever find out, let me know. It always appears on the desktop after windows updates get installed.

You could try this, some people say it works, say some it does not:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v "UseDesktopIniCache" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "UseDesktopIniCache" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "UseDesktopIniCache" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

TairikuOkami, Jul 16, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    @rboppy:

You must be showing "Super Hidden" System Files.
    Check Folder Options.

What's the purpose of desktop.ini? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 16, 2016
  8. rboppy Win User

That's correct Edwin, always have, but like TairikuOkami pointed out every update brings back the desktop.ini, don't think that happened with W7. What other files are considered "Super Hidden".

rboppy, Jul 17, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    If you delete them, they will be recreated any time you perform any kind of desktop composition.
    Better to keep them hidden as it's dangerous to accidentally manipulate Hidden System files.

Edwin, Jul 17, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    You can always use the hidden attribute in properties and itl disappear.

swarfega, Jul 17, 2016
  11. rboppy Win User
    Thanks for that, I'll try it the next time it shows up.

rboppy, Jul 17, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    You won't be able to change the defaulted 'Hidden' attribute for items that are already hidden.

What's the purpose of desktop.ini? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 17, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

@rboppy:

I must ask:
    What is the purpose for you needing to show hidden system files?

Edwin, Jul 17, 2016
  14. rboppy Win User
    I can appreciate why Microsoft wants to hide some files from some of their users, they always have as far as I know. I like to know what files are where, most of the time I never see them or question them.

It's interesting that Brink is the only one to reply to my question, and the link he gave me did not address the content of my desktop.ini

rboppy, Jul 17, 2016
  15. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the purpose of desktop.ini? - Similar Threads - What's purpose desktop

2. "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen: Previously tried all known online help tool tips for resolving the screen desktop which appears to show words of build character and phrase "for testing purposes only" and the words still appear on the screen. I disabled my secure boot and ran both commands to which the fix...
  3. What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?: pci\ ven_8086&dev_9a03&subsys_15391025&rev_05\ 3&11583659&0&20 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-device-and-what-is-it/392ce0a1-31e2-4d20-909f-4455ea644848
  4. What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?

What is the purpose of this device and what is it for?: pci\ ven_8086&dev_9a03&subsys_15391025&rev_05\ 3&11583659&0&20 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-device-and-what-is-it/392ce0a1-31e2-4d20-909f-4455ea644848
  5. What is AppVshNotify.exe and what is it’s purpose?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is AppVshNotify.exe and what is it’s purpose?: I encountered an exe file in details on Task Manager called AppVshNotify.exe, I have never seen it before but it says it’s Microsoft.I performed a virus scan and found nothing and the directory was C:/Program Files/Common Files/microsoft shared/clicktorunIs this a normal...
  6. What is the purpose of this partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the purpose of this partition?: I was partitioning my 500 gb hard drive, and I saw a ~75 GB partition without a drive letter. I was wondering if I created it by accident or is it necessary for windows to run. It is shown as a primary partition unlike the important things like efi boot and recovery and is...
  7. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  8. What is a Device Driver? What is its purpose?

in Windows 10 News
    What is a Device Driver? What is its purpose?: [ATTACH] Device Drivers are the software through which, the kernel of a computer communicates with different hardware, without having to go into the details of how the hardware works. It is a software that controls a hardware part attached to a [...] This post What is a...
  9. what is a .ini icon?

what is a .ini icon?: I have these ghostly looking .ini icons on my screen, which are connected to other documents - what are they and can I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/what-is-a-ini-icon/11adb71a-4cd6-4a41-b307-0788047abf35
  10. What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the purpose of these unknown partitions?: [img] Can someone please look at the below capture and tell me what the purpose of partitions 1, 2 ,4 & 5 are? Should I keep them, and if so how can they potentially help me in the future? Thanks for your help! 95218