Windows 10: What's the right way to backup my laptop?

Discus and support What's the right way to backup my laptop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi! I keep all my important files on my home server and not on my laptop. But my laptop is customized with software, etc that it would be good to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gomi-panda, Sep 24, 2020.

1. What's the right way to backup my laptop?

Hi! I keep all my important files on my home server and not on my laptop. But my laptop is customized with software, etc that it would be good to have backed up in case I ever lost or damaged my laptop.

I was having windows automatically backup itself daily, but the file sizes maxed out my server and this didn't seem the right solution.

So I'm basically looking to make a periodic backup of my laptop, updated from time to time, but not constantly so as to not take up to too much space. Any advice? I'm a noob so phase walk me through step by step. Thank you very much!

submitted by /u/gomi-panda
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gomi-panda, Sep 24, 2020
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Need a Backup Solution

I need to figure out the best way to back all my data up.

I have an 60GB OCZ Vertex as an OS drive and two 1TB Samsung F3 drives. One drive is used for storage and the other will be used for whatever backup plan I decide on.

I need to back up both drives in my desktop and also my laptop. My laptop has an eSATA port.

The backups need to be automatic. (for the desktop, I can do the laptop manually) The backups also need to have some way to be restored. The ability to be read by another computer would be nice also.

So I'm looking for the whole backup/recovery plan. Any suggestions? Fire away.

angelkiller, Sep 24, 2020
  4. What's the right way to backup my laptop?

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

What's the right way to backup my laptop?

1. What's the right way to backup my laptop? - Similar Threads - What's right backup

2. what is right with my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is right with my pc: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 12/30/2023 10:39:55 PM Event ID: 41 Task Category: 63 Level: Critical Keywords: 70368744177664,2 User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-OGPBB7H Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This...
  3. What is the best way to backup my computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best way to backup my computer?: best way to make backup of whole system all programs, windows and etc and plz explain the following 1. File history2. Recovery driveif something happens like my boot drive fails then what to do*original title: backup...
  4. Best way to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to backup: Hi, I recently had an issue where my hard drive corrupted and I lost everything. I didnt have a restore point or backup. Now I want to make sure that if this happens again, I have a backup. What is the best way to do this on a regular basis? Would I need a 3rd party...
  5. Whats the right way to use Git on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whats the right way to use Git on Windows 10?: Hello fellows. After more than 15 years on Linux I'm migrating to Windows 10 this year. Things seems to be more user friendly now. It was pretty annoying initially but I finally managed how to block Cortana, Start Menu Web Search and others craps through firewall and gpedit...
  6. What's the best way to backup OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the best way to backup OneDrive?: I am liking OneDrive a lot, and I love the whole aspect of only downloading what I need to any device when I need it. Saves lots of storage on my laptops, but I have access to everything I need. That said, I don't like the idea of OneDrive being the only place where all of...
  7. What is the best way to backup Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the best way to backup Windows 10?: want to back up my information which would be the best option to perform this action correctly? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-best-way-to-backup-windows-10/8b1960d1-df2a-4468-a139-835916a4f707
  8. Whats the best way to backup my files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Whats the best way to backup my files?: Along with my nice new shiny laptop with Windows 10 on it, I have a Western Digital My Passport Ultra drive with 2TB of space. What is the best way to backup all my files - should I use the WD Backup software or does Windows 10 have a backup solution built in that I can...
  9. What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What's the best way to image W10 partitions for backup?: Hi -- I am looking for a good imaging program that will back up individual partitions in W10 -- including the boot partition. Preferably it's free but doesn't have to be. I had previously tried Aomei Backupper with W8.1 but just had a lot of problems restoring from image...
  10. What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity: My upgrade to 10 has gone pretty well so far. The only problem is that Audacity audio editor (2.0.6) won't work ("Internal PortAudio error"/"program not supported.") I want to uninstall it, but it's not recognized by Windows 10 "Uninstall Programs." What's the best way...