Windows 10: What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?

Discus and support What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I had a BSOD on shutting down my desktop PC yesterday and the PC hung when trying to reboot. The PC booted OK when I powered it off and restarted.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve C, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?

I had a BSOD on shutting down my desktop PC yesterday and the PC hung when trying to reboot. The PC booted OK when I powered it off and restarted. There was no error dump file produced. I ran chkdsk c: /f to check my SSD system drive which detected and corrected errors in the security descriptors as shown below. What's the significance of these errors and why do they arise?

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is System.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    591616 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    19402 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    2219 reparse records processed.
    744648 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    2219 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 6641 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 6641 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 6641 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    76517 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    40749704 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

No further action is required.

174768204 KB total disk space.
    52528568 KB in 335203 files.
    201180 KB in 76520 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    710588 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    121327868 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    43692051 total allocation units on disk.
    30331967 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 07 09 00 e5 47 06 00 88 7f 0b 00 00 00 00 00 .....G..........
    65 05 00 00 46 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e...F...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

:)

Steve C, Jun 26, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Jun 26, 2019
  4. What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?

Unable to perform chkdsk with error: Access denied on Windows 10

Hi Jay,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred when you do not have permissions to access the folder/ drive.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• How exactly are you trying to run chkdsk command?
    • On which drive are you deploying chkdsk command?

Step 1: Try the following steps to take the ownership of the respective folder/ drive and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.
    • If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

• You may receive the following error message, where
      Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of: You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory
      Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press
      Yes.
    7. Click
    Yes

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the below steps to perform check disk:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    • You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).
    • Press Y key on the keyboard and press
      Enter key.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Chkdsk disclaimer: The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into
    a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?

1. What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors? - Similar Threads - What's Significance CHKDSK

2. CHKDSK unspecified error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK unspecified error: Greetings.One of my disks stopped working correctly so i decided to run a CHKDSK /r to repair it, but i keep getting the following unspecified errors6672732e637878 969.6e74667363686b2e 17b4.Does this have a fix? i tried formating the disk and checking it through properties...
  3. CHKDSK unspecified error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK unspecified error: Greetings.One of my disks stopped working correctly so i decided to run a CHKDSK /r to repair it, but i keep getting the following unspecified errors6672732e637878 969.6e74667363686b2e 17b4.Does this have a fix? i tried formating the disk and checking it through properties...
  4. What are the quickest chkdsk options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What are the quickest chkdsk options: What are the quickest options that I can use with chkdsk? And the most effective one to recover a faulty external HDD. I accidently steped over the energy cable of my external HDD. If fell upside down on the flor and wasn't accesible at all. I already tried this: chkdsk G:...
  5. What are the quickest chkdsk options

in Windows 10 Support
    What are the quickest chkdsk options: What are the quickest options that I can use with chkdsk? And the most effective one to recover a faulty external HDD. I accidently steped over the energy cable of my external HDD. If fell upside down on the flor and wasn't accesible at all. I already tried this: chkdsk G:...
  6. CHKDSK errors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CHKDSK errors: Hi, i ran the chkdsk command on command prompt and it showed that this 'Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode' and the errors were - Index entry CACHE7~1.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is incorrect Index entry CACHE7~2.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is...
  7. Chkdsk error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk error: when i run chkdsk c: /f /r on cmd it appeared " An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 13d3)". What does it mean? It appeared on stage 2 on ~80%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-error/72316736-90ab-439d-aa38-e155b1fc8434
  8. What is the significance of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/CLASSES"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the significance of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/CLASSES"?: Hello there, few days ago I did a messy update to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, approximately over %95 of the files were recovered however regs became a trouble by themselves, I got my old data and cautiously picked the ones to transfer to the new one. I completed the ones in...
  9. chkdsk Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk Error: Hi! I can't access my D: hardrive, I updated it and all of a sudden I can't access it anymore so I tried chkdsk and I got this error [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-error/fdf1bc86-ccbf-491e-93d0-8e2c55f76b42"
  10. What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the Significance of These CHKDSK Errors?: I had a BSOD on shutting down my desktop PC yesterday and the PC hung when trying to reboot. The PC booted OK when I powered it off and restarted. There was no error dump file produced. I ran chkdsk c: /f to check my SSD system drive which detected and corrected errors in the...