Windows 10: What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ?

Discus and support What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Dear forum readers, This (hidden) parameter's value can be set either through powercfg.exe, or through the advanced power settings. To see it in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by NovHak, Apr 19, 2021.

1. NovHak Win User

What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ?

Dear forum readers,

This (hidden) parameter's value can be set either through powercfg.exe, or through the advanced power settings. To see it in the advanced power settings, you have to unhide this parameter, with the following command line :
    Code:
    This parameter has two possible values : None (default), and Low power.

So I set it to Low power, but I've yet to see any changes : GPU selection seems to still work the same. Is it an unused parameter, or one that doesn't apply to my hardware ? Fwiw, I've a laptop w/ Intel UHD Graphics as iGPU and an Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 as dGPU (and Windows version is 20H2, build 19042.928).

:)

NovHak, Apr 19, 2021
  2. ryanly Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Current /? (-?) or / help (-help) parameter is invalid

ryanly, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Andreas Win User
    GPU preference not working; what's the workaround?

I have a laptop in a docking station on which I cannot select GPU preference at autostart. The laptop has one integrated Intel GPU and one "extra" Nvidia GPU.

I can select GPU preference clicking the context menu which has the intended effect: my program reports Intel/Nvidia as graphics vendor as expected (using OpenGL API glGetString(GL_VENDOR)). However the application is supposed to be autostarted (semi-embedded scenario) and for what I know I cannot autostart it using a context menu (right?)

I've tried editing the windows registry, both manually and using the "Graphics Settings". Both GPU show up (Intel as Power Saving GPU, Nvidia as High Performance GPU). Despite what I set here the application says it is running the Intel GPU. Editing the registry I've tried setting both the program and system default GPU preference - with no effect whatsoever.

Starting the Nvidia control panel to set GPU preference opens a dialog saying "no display connected" and exits. Looking into dxdiag the display is connected to the Intel GPU, and there is another tab labeled "Render" where the Nvidia GPU is listed as "Render only display device". Maybe important, maybe not.

Google searches pulls me to pages where above solutions are suggested. They are obviously not working out for me.

I suspect the docking station is to blame since it works just fine without it.

Question: How to autostart my application with Nvidia GPU preferred, considering registry and Nvidia Control Panel fails and opening using context menu selection works?

Reading this discussion on docking station GPU issue, I followed the advice of one comment to configure duplicate displays instead of extended and registry GpuPreference=2 as default. Works great, but I'm not to happy about being limited to display duplication, and my program halts when switching between the modes, hence leaving the question open.

Andreas, Apr 19, 2021
  4. What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ?

LGPO-– Local Group Policy Object Utility

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are using LGPO tool for Group Policy Backup and Restore and similarly you are looking for an option/tool that helps in Registry Settings Backup Parameters list.

However, we would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well
    equipped with the knowledge on Registry settings backup parameters to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ?

1. What's the use of the "GPU Preference Policy" power parameter ? - Similar Threads - What's GPU Preference

2. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  3. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  4. set global preferred gpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    set global preferred gpu: Hi, I know it's possible to set preferred GPU app by app, but can I set one globally? My intention is to set iGPU as default and I'll just add "exception" apps that should run dGPU to save battery life. I've already set default gpu to igpu in nvidia control panel, but it...
  5. Group Policy for printer preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Group Policy for printer preferences: Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get...
  6. How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Mapping network drives using Group Policy preferences is flexible, provides easy control over who receives the drive mappings, and has easy-to-use user interfaces, all of […] This article How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10 first appeared...
  7. How to choose preferred GPU for programs?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to choose preferred GPU for programs?: Hi, I currently have 2 GPUs in my system. In the first slot is a RX 570 and in the second slot is a RTX 2080. I use the RX 570 as a display output, and I want to configure windows so that low power tasks are done on my RX 570, and high power tasks such as video rendering...
  8. GPU preference for apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU preference for apps: I have NVIDIA GeForce MX 130 GPU in my laptop but still in the graphics settings tab, in the high performance GPU it shows the Intel's integrated GPU. While playing games I want the dedicated GPU to start. How to do?[ATTACH]...
  9. What is the preferred lock screen policy for Windows 10 computers right now.

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the preferred lock screen policy for Windows 10 computers right now.: We were using the old lock screen policy that utilizes your screen saver but now the screen saver file is gone. See below... [ATTACH] So now I'm trying to get this to apply at the computer level leveraging the machine inactivity timeout. See below... [ATTACH] But...
  10. Whats your preference on using the built in Firewall?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats your preference on using the built in Firewall?: IF we have a hardware router (asus 87R) is it ok to turn off the windows firewall? What is the consensus on using it from users on here? 12233