Windows 10: What's WinRM?

Discus and support What's WinRM? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently found out that I have a bunch of Windows Remote Management entries in my Event Viewer which can be found by this path: Event Viewer>... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ayylmao212, Nov 6, 2016.

1. What's WinRM?

I have recently found out that I have a bunch of Windows Remote Management entries in my Event Viewer which can be found by this path:
    Event Viewer> Application and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows>Windows Remote Management>Operational

I don't remember configuring/enabling such a thing. What does it actually do? I've tried googling for it but found no good information.

Here is how the events look like

What's WinRM? [​IMG]

:)

ayylmao212, Nov 6, 2016

2. How do I change the background colour on Windows 10?

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and am having trouble on changing the background colour of my current desktop theme. It will allow me to change the entire theme in one go, however, I only wish to change the background colour and so was wondering if this
    is possible and how?

What's-my-name-again, Nov 6, 2016
  3. Confused as to what syncs with what

Laura,

When you add a second phone to your profile the content of the two phones will be "merged" with a best effort attempt to eliminate duplicates.

If the second phone you are about to add already syncs your contacts with Outlook or Exchange, the contacts that exist in your My Phone account on the web (from your first phone) will not be sync'ed to the new phone, so you will not have any duplicate entries.
    If you later disable outlook Sync and enable syncing contacts with MyPhone, your phone contact list will be merged the list that exists on the web. MyPhone will attempt to identify duplicates and eliminate them but there are cases where you may end with duplicate
    contacts.

Francisc Stugren - MSFT, Nov 6, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

What's WinRM?

It's a windows remote management protocol, as documented on TechNet: Windows Remote Management (Windows). Different applications use it for a variety of purposes; from what I see in your event log, some kind of scripting interface related to remote management (WSMan API call) is generating these events and their responses from your OS. There's a discussion on how to set up a remote management listener (Setting Up Security Event Log Subscriptions with Windows Server 2003/2008 Premier Field Engineering) that seems to indicate it's likely a server-based process or service of some kind behind it all. I'm in a workgroup only environment and I find no Windows Remote Management events in my event log.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 6, 2016
  5. Thank you very much for your response Ed.

Is there any way to find out what could be the culprit of these entries? They seem to occur almost daily at random times.

There are 4 events which keep repeating over and over again:

Event 145: WSMan operation Enumeration started with resourceUri http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/ws...onfig/listener
    Event 254: Activity Transfer
    Event 161: The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig".
    Event 142: WSMan operation Enumeration failed, error code 2150858770

ayylmao212, Nov 7, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    WBEM is web-based enterprise management. Chances are you've got some kind of management tool or agent running on your PC and it's making the WSMan calls. I found an MS answers post on this but no meaningful response from Microsoft: Windows 10 Windows Remote Management Event IDs 142 and 161 - Microsoft Community
    The URI specified in the 145 message also comes up as invalid/unreachable, so it looks like a pointer error.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 7, 2016
  7. So I am not the only one with this weird issue... Thank you Ed for finding this. I guess it's some sort of a Microsoft bug

ayylmao212, Nov 7, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

What's WinRM?

No, no, it's not a BUG: it's a FEATURE! *Biggrin
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What's WinRM?

1. What's WinRM? - Similar Threads - What's WinRM

2. What is the "windows Features" default settings for windows 10 Home version 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "windows Features" default settings for windows 10 Home version 22H2: I want the default settings of the windows feature on and off menu for the windows 10 Pro version of 22H2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-windows-features-default-settings-for/6d94e603-85ea-4c5e-b8d4-45e1ce4a7847
  3. What is the "windows Features" default settings for windows 10 Home version 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the "windows Features" default settings for windows 10 Home version 22H2: I want the default settings of the windows feature on and off menu for the windows 10 Pro version of 22H2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-windows-features-default-settings-for/6d94e603-85ea-4c5e-b8d4-45e1ce4a7847
  4. What is the "windows Features" default settings for windows 10 Home version 22H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What is an organistations activation server?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What is an organistations activation server?: So i woke up and my windows 10 pro said it needed to be activated and when i type in my product key i get this message : We cant activate windows on this device because we cant connect to your organisations activation server 0x8007232b. Please help me....
  6. What is an organistations activation server?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is an organistations activation server?: So i woke up and my windows 10 pro said it needed to be activated and when i type in my product key i get this message : We cant activate windows on this device because we cant connect to your organisations activation server 0x8007232b. Please help me....
  7. What is an organistations activation server?

8. In the situation I explained to you below, what do I need to do to download Windows 10 on...

In the situation I explained to you below, what do I need to do to download Windows 10 on...: When I download Windows 10 on a 16 GB flash card from Microsoft's official website, after the download is 100%, the window like image which I sent you opens on the computer....
  9. In the situation I explained to you below, what do I need to do to download Windows 10 on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In the situation I explained to you below, what do I need to do to download Windows 10 on...: When I download Windows 10 on a 16 GB flash card from Microsoft's official website, after the download is 100%, the window like image which I sent you opens on the computer....
  10. In the situation I explained to you below, what do I need to do to download Windows 10 on...

in Windows 10 Gaming