Windows 10: WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works

Discus and support WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The WhatsApp Desktop app for Windows has been updated, it is now a native UWP app. It replaces the old web-app version. [ATTACH] The messaging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 17, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works

The WhatsApp Desktop app for Windows has been updated, it is now a native UWP app. It replaces the old web-app version.

WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works WhatsApp-Desktop-gets-a-native-UWP-version-on-Windows.jpg
    The messaging service, owned by Meta, released a beta version of the UWP app in November last year. You can read more about it here.

What's new in WhatsApp Desktop

The app is faster, and you can tell it right from the get-go. That's basically because it is not an Electron app anymore. The performance improvements are welcome, as are the notification badges. Speaking of which, notifications arrive instantly in the new app, and you don't need the program running in the background either. The interface of WhatsApp Desktop has been revamped, it now resembles a native Windows 10 program. The app has a light theme and a dark theme that you can switch to from the Settings.

The old version of the messaging app would only work if your phone was online, it was a requirement to synchronize your chats between the devices. This limitation was also true for the WhatsApp Web version that is accessible via web browsers. The new WhatsApp Desktop app is a proper standalone program, it no longer requires your phone to be connected to the internet, in other words it supports multiple devices just like its rival, Telegram. Your chats are still end-to-end encrypted, which is a good thing.

Note: There is a device limit, you can use WhatsApp on up to 4 linked devices and a phone at the same time.

Download the WhatsApp Desktop app from the Microsoft Store. It requires Windows 10 14316.0 or higher. New users will need to scan a QR code using WhatsApp on your phone, to sign in on your PC. If you already have the Electron app installed on your computer, it will be upgraded to the UWP version. You can use it alongside the beta version, but you may want to disable notifications in one of the apps, otherwise you will be bombarded with double notifications for every message that you receive.

WhatsApp for macOS

WhatsApp states that a native app for macOS is in development. If you have a Mac, you can opt in to the Testflight program to participate in the beta. Unfortunately, the slots in the beta are full already, so you may have to wait for a while to try it.

I've been using the regular beta app for a few months on my MacBook, it's based on Electron (web-based) and looks similar to the Windows version, except for some visual elements such as the colors and button styles. Its performance, however, is quite poor, it's slow to open, and there is a delay while messages are synced between devices, and notifications don't arrive immediately.

WABetaInfo says that the new WhatsApp macOS beta version is built on Catalyst technology, which means the app is actually a port of the iPad version. So, we can expect it to offer better performance while using fewer resources. The app has a refreshed design that introduces a new sidebar to quickly access Chats, Calls, Archived Chats, Starred Messages, etc.

Do you use WhatsApp on your computer?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 17, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Bringing your existing desktop apps to UWP

Source: Bringing your existing desktop apps to UWP | Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Aug 17, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Source: The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app | Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Aug 17, 2022
  4. WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works

Camera doesn't work on Skype UWP app but it does on the desktop version

Hi!

I have some problems with the Skype UWP app, it can't recongize my camera, as it does the Desktop Version, I really don't know what to do, I know that my camera doesn't officialy support Windows 10 nor Windows 8.1, but then why does it work on desktop programs?
    The Windows Camera app doesn't recognize my camera aswell, nor Microsoft Edge, what can I do?

RazvanSilaghi, Aug 17, 2022
Thema:

WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works

1. WhatsApp Desktop gets a native UWP version on Windows; macOS app in the works - Similar Threads - WhatsApp Desktop gets

2. Whatsapp desktop app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whatsapp desktop app: Hi,From the last 2 updates ,, I am seeing the message in the attached picture ,, when I am trying to make a whatsapp call from the latest whatsapp desktop app.My speaker is not engaged in any app acc to me during call....
  3. Whatsapp desktop app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whatsapp desktop app: Hi,From the last 2 updates ,, I am seeing the message in the attached picture ,, when I am trying to make a whatsapp call from the latest whatsapp desktop app.My speaker is not engaged in any app acc to me during call....
  4. whatsapp desktop not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    whatsapp desktop not working: My whatsapp desktop has been working fine until a few weeks ago, it became a little buggy like the display glitching when i launch it. until like a week ago, it logged me out of my whatsapp desktop and im unable to log back in using the qr code scan from my phone as the...
  5. whatsapp desktop not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whatsapp desktop not working: My whatsapp desktop has been working fine until a few weeks ago, it became a little buggy like the display glitching when i launch it. until like a week ago, it logged me out of my whatsapp desktop and im unable to log back in using the qr code scan from my phone as the...
  6. whatsapp desktop not working

7. Whatsapp Desktop app not working

Whatsapp Desktop app not working: My whatsapp isnt launching no matter how much I try, I uninstalled it nd installed agin it wokred for some time then again the same issue. When I repaair it for advanced settings, it asks DO YOU WANT TO END THE CURRENT CALL? After I end it, it works the when I close it and...
  8. WhatsApp Desktop app not working or connecting

in Windows 10 News
    WhatsApp Desktop app not working or connecting: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WhatsApp Desktop app is a must-have for anyone who wants to be productive instead of always having to check their phones when they are using a computer. It makes life so much easier, so when folks are complaining about issues [...] This post WhatsApp Desktop...
  9. WhatsApp Desktop not working

WhatsApp Desktop not working: I logged on to WhatsApp desktop this morning to be told it needed upgrading. I clicked the link to the App Store to be told that the app is not available. It's working on my phone. Is anyone else having problems with desktop version today? I am on MAC....
  10. WhatsApps desktop is not working

WhatsApps desktop is not working: I downloaded WhatsApps , desktop version, on my coputer. It does not working: When I open the App, it shows just a black screen. No way to interact with the app except starting and closing it from the task bar. Restarted, reinstalled, used the last available version. What...