Windows 10: Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts

Discus and support Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A friend uses Whatsapp from a phone. I'd like to use whatsapp from my desktop or phone to communicate with them. I have installed whatsapp on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Windy Gamer, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts

A friend uses Whatsapp from a phone. I'd like to use whatsapp from my desktop or phone to communicate with them.

I have installed whatsapp on my android phone and have connected the desktop. And am leaving the phone turned on, as directed.

I refused to permit Whatsapp to read my contacts, etc.. I'm not a big facebook fan and know that they share everything everywhere and sell it everywhere.

However, I cannot figure a way to make or even receive a call using whatsapp without using my contacts list.
    Is this true or is there something I'm missing. On the desktop app I put in a phone number and it wants to search my contacts, which of course it does not have. After using "Create Group" same thing.

No way to make a call at all with whatsapp if you don't share your contacts with it?

if so, Whatsapp is completely broken for me.

And if so that's fine since I can use Skype or Discord just fine.

Thanks much,
    wg

:)

Windy Gamer, Sep 18, 2018

2. whatsapp...google chat...or some other chat software??

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:20:44 +0000, ballou2a wrote:

You'd need to check with the app deveopers. As far as Whatsapp goes, IIRC

they need access to the contacts list on the device for their app to

function and I believe that there is currently no API for access to the

contacts list so I wouldn't expect that one for a while, if ever.

MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager

http://www.identit.ca

Downtime: Coffee breaks, lunch, or Friday mentality in the office.

Paul Adare, Sep 18, 2018
  3. ballou2a Win User
    whatsapp...google chat...or some other chat software??

When is the chat program whatsapp gonna be available? or another similar one where we can use it to chat with other smart phone users? or google chat??!!

ballou2a, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts

WhatsApp does not read the contacts from the phone directory.

This might be an old issue that keeps coming back.

Whatsapp was not seeing updated or new contacts added to my Lumia phone's list (People - MS account); sometimes it would not even add a new contact when I got a msg/call from a new contact or it would keep suggesting saving the new contact; other times I
    would only show the phone number, not the name added to the phone list.

I tried solutions suggested online but nothing worked. Some posts suggested to uninstall and then reinstall Whatsapp. I was afraid of losing my contact's history, so I didn't try it (but I was going to, next).

This is how I solved it:

- went to Phone's Settings > Privacy > Contacts (apps allowed to use the phone's contacts) and disabled Whatsapp

- restarted the phone and opened Whatsapp (all names were gone; only phone numbers identified my contacts)

- closed Whatsapp and went back to the previous settings and re-enabled Whatsapp

- reopened Whatsapp - all contacts are now the way they are supposed to be (as on People's contact list)

I hope this can help someone. Thanks!

CsesioM..., Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts

1. Whatsapp desktop - making a chat / call with no contacts - Similar Threads - Whatsapp desktop making

2. Whatsapp video call not working on desktop app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Whatsapp video call not working on desktop app: I am using windows 10 pro, build 19042. I installed Whatsapp desktop app from Microsoft store, but the video call is not working properly. After I click the call/video call option on the desktop app, the options grey out & do not connect immediately, the call connects after...
  3. Whatsapp video call not working on desktop app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whatsapp video call not working on desktop app: I am using windows 10 pro, build 19042. I installed Whatsapp desktop app from Microsoft store, but the video call is not working properly. After I click the call/video call option on the desktop app, the options grey out & do not connect immediately, the call connects after...
  4. Whatsapp video call not working on desktop app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client: I am unable to make or receive audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client on Win10. The desktop client terminates completely as soon as the call is made or received from somebody. This worked perfectly fine few days back.- I decided to join Multi-device beta on WhatsApp...
  6. No audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client: I am unable to make or receive audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client on Win10. The desktop client terminates completely as soon as the call is made or received from somebody. This worked perfectly fine few days back.- I decided to join Multi-device beta on WhatsApp...
  7. No audio/video calls from WhatsApp desktop client

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Is it possible to make WhatsApp calls through Windows?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Is it possible to make WhatsApp calls through Windows?: I now have a new mobile phone, the Samsung Galaxy A40. There I have the feature "Link to Windows" with which I can make calls over the network. It's a stupid question because I can set it up and test it myself, but I've already done that. So I asked someone if I could...
  9. Whatsapp desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whatsapp desktop: I want to download WhatsApp desktop i cannot click on free option it also writes down you need more features to install ........... Please help and also please tell how to use it...
  10. WhatsApp or desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WhatsApp or desktop: Hello I have a iPhone 10X and I have been trying or ages to download WhatsApp for Windows 10 Desktop no matter how many times I have tried it just wont it just does not download on my computer. Can someone help me please...