Windows 10: WHEA error, can it be HW issue?

Discus and support WHEA error, can it be HW issue? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Today I did get a WHEA error, I have explained everything below regarding the error. What Im wondering is; is this only due to a hardware issue? Or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rstolpe, Sep 23, 2020.

1. rstolpe Win User

WHEA error, can it be HW issue?

Hi,
    Today I did get a WHEA error, I have explained everything below regarding the error.
    What Im wondering is; is this only due to a hardware issue? Or can it be software related?
    As the log state it says its because of the CPU. But I cant see how the cpu can break now?
    It did not BSOD it did just freeze.
    Please read When did it happen, under that section I'll explain everything how it did happen - the strange thing is that the keyboards smart card reader did stop lighting etc.

Download for the Event Viewer files/log:
    WHEA event view log file download

Troubleshooting done
    • OCCT small and big - no issues.
    • Chkdsk - no issues
    • Memtest86 4-pass - no issue
    • Intel Diagnostic software both default test and extended did not find any issues on the CPU
    • I have also re-installed Windows now to see if it happen again.

My hardware / System info
    • MSI Meg z490 Ace
    • i9 10900k
    • 64GB Ram (two 32GB sticks)
    • Geforce 2070 Super
    • Windows 10 2004
    • All drivers, windows update and Bios are up to date and it also was that before WHEA did happen.

BIOS settings
    This CPU are not overclockt in fact I have been tweaking the BIOS after intel default settings I want my cpu as intel intended it to be. Vcore etc are set to auto but I dont have any overclocking like all cores always on turbo boost or similar like that.
    Only thing that I have in Bios is that the RAM is set to XMP1.

Has it happen before?
    No, I have been using my computer for about 2 months and it has never happen before.

When did it happen?
    It did happen when I was ending a Skype call. The PC did freeze for about 5-6 seconds and I did notice that I was disconnected from Vmware horizon connection that we are connecting with a smart card. The smart card reader is in my keyboard and the led lights that are flashing on the keyboard when the smart card is connected was not flashing at all.
    It did not BSOD it was just freezing for 1-6 seconds and then it did work again.

My CPU temp was about 33-35c when it did happen so it was not a temp issue.

Have you done anything before this happened?
    • Disabled Enhanced Turbo in BIOS same day as the WHEA did apper, but I have put it back to Auto as it was default now
    • Installed a fan software called Argus Monitor but I did uninstall it right away. (same day as WHEA and WHEA did happen after)
    • Updated Nvidias drivers (4 days ago)

:)

rstolpe, Sep 23, 2020
  2. rstolpe Win User

Hi,
    Today I did get a WHEA error, I have explained everything below regarding the error.
    What I’m wondering is; is this only due to a hardware issue? Or can it be software related?
    As the log state it says it’s because of the CPU. But I can’t see how the cpu can break now?
    It did not BSOD it did just freeze.
    Please read When did it happen, under that section I'll explain everything how it did happen - the strange thing is that the keyboards smart card reader did stop lighting etc.

Download for the Event Viewer files/log:
    WHEA event view log file download

Troubleshooting done
    • OCCT small and big - no issues.
    • Chkdsk - no issues
    • Memtest86 4-pass - no issue
    • Intel Diagnostic software both default test and extended did not find any issues on the CPU
    • I have also re-installed Windows now to see if it happen again.

My hardware / System info
    • MSI Meg z490 Ace
    • i9 10900k
    • 64GB Ram (two 32GB sticks)
    • Geforce 2070 Super
    • Windows 10 2004
    • All drivers, windows update and Bios are up to date and it also was that before WHEA did happen.

BIOS settings
    This CPU are not overclockt in fact I have been tweaking the BIOS after intel default settings I want my cpu as intel intended it to be. Vcore etc are set to auto but I don’t have any overclocking like all cores always on turbo boost or similar like that.
    Only thing that I have in Bios is that the RAM is set to XMP1.

Has it happen before?
    No, I have been using my computer for about 2 months and it has never happen before.

When did it happen?
    It did happen when I was ending a Skype call. The PC did freeze for about 5-6 seconds and I did notice that I was disconnected from Vmware horizon connection that we are connecting with a smart card. The smart card reader is in my keyboard and the led lights that are flashing on the keyboard when the smart card is connected was not flashing at all.
    It did not BSOD it was just freezing for 1-6 seconds and then it did work again.

My CPU temp was about 33-35c when it did happen so it was not a temp issue.

Have you done anything before this happened?
    • Disabled Enhanced Turbo in BIOS same day as the WHEA did apper, but I have put it back to Auto as it was default now
    • Installed a fan software called Argus Monitor but I did uninstall it right away. (same day as WHEA and WHEA did happen after)
    • Updated Nvidias drivers (4 days ago)

rstolpe, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Severin Win User
    whea warning? cache hierarchy error

I just noticed a whea warning in my event log stating a hardware error was corrected and it was reported by a cpu core. the error type was a cache hierarchy error. i know OCing can cause some of these whea errors, and it seems most people just ignore them, but im just wondering if this one is anything to worry about. my processor is overclocked, but i can pass numerous stress tests and games for hours, without any issues or errors in the even log. i think the pc my have even been idle at the time this was reported , or i was gaming . But again usually there are no errors regardless of what the pc is doing.
    anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had some info on this error since googling it comes up with a bunch of different whea errors and no real explanation other than ocing can cause them.

Computer is:
    8700K stock, MTE on, 4700mhz auto clock
    Asus Z370 Pro Gaming
    16GB DDR 3000MHZ ( XMP ON)
    Gtx 1080 Ti Aorus
    Corsair 750 Rmi
    SSD Crucial 525GB
    HDD TOSHIBA 500GB
    Windows 10 clean install 1709 Creator Fall Update ( 16299.15 build october 2017 ,before meltdown/spectre patch )
    All settings in UEFI are stock,defaulted . Only XMP profile is on.

WHEA error, can it be HW issue? [​IMG]

Severin, Sep 23, 2020
  4. WHEA error, can it be HW issue?

WHEA Error - Please Help

WHEA Errors 90% of the time are a result of an unstable overclock. sense you said that you are not overclocking than it might be a power supply/delivery issue. i would try and find out what your 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rail reading are. most of the time you can find these in the bios under the hardware monitoring tab. there are other ways to test a power supply but i am not skilled in advanced methods.

if the psu seems alright try giving the cpu a slight overvolt. you may have just got a really bad chip or its just hungry.

edit, why i bring up the power supply is because i had a similar situation were i was getting WHEA errors and just ignored them. after a while the computer would just randomly lock up and i would have to shut it down. ended up being the psu.

Final_Fighter, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. WHEA error, can it be HW issue? - Similar Threads - WHEA error issue

2. Samsung HW-T400 soundbar noise issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung HW-T400 soundbar noise issues: Hi,I've had a Samsung t400 for a couple of years now, I used it with another computer in the past using windows 10 with no problem, and use it with my phone with no problem, however, when using it with my windows 11 computer there's an annoying noise, like white noise...
  3. BDOS Issues WHEA Uncorruptible Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BDOS Issues WHEA Uncorruptible Error: I received multiple BDOS errors since upgrading my PC a couple days ago, in particular right after playing games or when downloading a larger file. I went to the reliability history and found this:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124...
  4. BDOS Issues WHEA Uncorruptible Error

BDOS Issues WHEA Uncorruptible Error: I received multiple BDOS errors since upgrading my PC a couple days ago, in particular right after playing games or when downloading a larger file. I went to the reliability history and found this:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124...
  5. BDOS Issues WHEA Uncorruptible Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Issues and WHEA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues and WHEA: Hello, i have a new pc and i have issues with it.Actually i have regular crash when playing games, even BSODi checked the memory with memtest86, it took almost 7 hours and everything is fine my SSD M2 is in perfect state.i changed my Graphic card a few days ago there are the...
  7. Issues and WHEA

Issues and WHEA: Hello, i have a new pc and i have issues with it.Actually i have regular crash when playing games, even BSODi checked the memory with memtest86, it took almost 7 hours and everything is fine my SSD M2 is in perfect state.i changed my Graphic card a few days ago there are the...
  8. Issues and WHEA

9. HW error - DELL Inspiron 5770

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HW error - DELL Inspiron 5770: <Hello, shave lot of this error repeating in my System Events 10x per 1s, any info, how can be solved? Thanks. <<EventData> <Data Name="ErrorSource">4</Data> <Data Name="FRUId">{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}</Data> <Data Name="FRUText" /> <Data...
  10. WHEA uncorrectable error (long term issue)

WHEA uncorrectable error (long term issue): I have been having this blue screen of death for a few months now and I was really passive about it because it was happening only once in a while. I never could find the origin of the problem. I will try to be as clear as possible when giving the steps I have tried over the...