Windows 10: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down

Discus and support WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This error is now occurring after enabling Hyper-V in the Win10 OS Features. All of the automatic patching and configuration that takes place after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tgm, Sep 6, 2015.

1. TGM
    tgm Win User

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down

This error is now occurring after enabling Hyper-V in the Win10 OS Features. All of the automatic patching and configuration that takes place after enabling Hyper-V seems to have processed normally with several reboots noted. There are NO virtual environments defined as yet, nothing has been configured, and the Hyper-V management screen displays normally when started.. The error only occurs during system shutdown and the screen that displays waiting process closure seems to flash by quickly. Any method of initiating a power shutdown will cause the crash and it will occur even if no user has logged into the machine. The machine automatically reboots after the crash so I currently need to manually power down the machine during the bios screen. The machine has never been in sleep mode and automatic sleep is disabled. Hybernation is disabled on the machine too. BUT THIS IS BAZAAR... If I reboot, the machine does NOT crash. If something requests the machine to reboot (eg: for a software change), everything processes normally.

:)

2. Blue Screens for the first time

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR means "hardware error" - so more than likely it was a short circuit, a failed device, or could even be not receiving enough voltage from the power supply. It can also happen when the
    computer is overclocked.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 6, 2015
  3. tears786 Win User
    Nokia 8910i powers down during calls???

I alos have the same problem. but there is no answer in this discussion form.

Edited out personal contact details

Message Edited by linwood on 20-Jan-2009 11:39 AM

tears786, Sep 6, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi tgm,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Please check {windows partition}\windows\minidump and check if there are any dump files saved.
    The zip is empty of dump files.
    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial

axe0, Sep 6, 2015
  5. TGM
    tgm Win User
    Now this is interesting... The dump was previously configured to Kernel Dump, so I changed it to Small Memory Dump as you requested. I then attempted a shutdown and the machine crashed with the WHEA error as expected. BUT after the reboot, the minidump directory is still empty! So I went back to check the config and it is still set to Small Memory Dump.

I've now unchecked the auto reboot to see if this changes anything. During a shutdown attempt... It did stop the auto-reboot but the minidump directory is still empty.

So as a possible alternative I've run both an AIDA OS report and a AIDA Full report and attached them in the hope that they may give you most if not all of the data you are looking for.

6. axe0 New Member
    It looks like a log event from windows, which only says kernel event 41 (power problem) when you've had a bluescreen.

Please make sure your pagefile is correctly configured.

axe0, Sep 6, 2015
  7. TGM
    tgm Win User
    As I suspected, the pagefile is being managed by the system but it appears that W10 may NOT be allocating it correctly. See the screenshot:

8. axe0 New Member

What is the virtual memory when you go to the settings of the performance?

axe0, Sep 6, 2015
  9. TGM
    tgm Win User
    It's not clear to me what you are asking. What is "settings of the performance"?

10. axe0 New Member
    This is in my VM, that is why the virtual memory is very low.
    Attachment 36300

11. TGM
    tgm Win User
    Now I understand what you are saying. It shows 768MB (same as the screenshot I sent). In fact, if you click on the "Change" button you get to the same place where my screenshot came from.

Getting back to the issues at hand... 768MB is significantly less than the 12GB of installed memory. Windows normally allocates at least the size of the existing memory when it is managing the pagefile. This is clearly a major bug with W10. I suspect that it is related to installing the Hyper-V functionality. I've gone ahead and manually configured the pagefile to 12288MB (minimum) to see what happens.

Changing the pagefile size requires a reboot which the machine performed without any error. Then I tried to shutdown the machine and it again crashed with the WHEA error. After booting back up again the minidump directory is still empty?! So I guess this is another major bug too.

The bottom line is that it appears that there is potentially a serious functionality problem with Hyper-V on W10 and it seems pretty clear that not much testing was performed @ M$ where my system is pretty vanilla.

12. TGM
    tgm Win User
    This machine is NOT overclocked and the AIDA Full Report performs full benchmarking on the hardware and is included in that report.

I cloned my hard disk before I added the Hyper-V functionality. I just booted up on it and everything is working fine. The pagefile virtual memory is system allocated at 12GB and the machine powers down properly. So it's pretty clear that Hyper-V is a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm retired these days, so I don't have the same ability to connect with M$ support anymore. Previously I was an IT type with a Fortune 500. I wonder if M$ monitors these forums?

13. axe0 New Member

No, these forums are independent.

Yes it is indeed, hope your problem is solved *Smile
    If you get any bluescreens within the next few days, please use the tool again and upload the zip file.

14. TGM
    tgm Win User
    But it's still clear that there are major bugs with Hyper-V with W10 none the less. The pagefile allocation is totally bogus for example. The reason I'm doing this stuff is due to my circle of friends that are asking all sorts of questions about W10. I'm sure glad that I didn't migrate my own production machine to W10 and I'm NOT recommending that anyone else do so either. M$ has again released an OS that's not ready for prime time.

15. axe0 New Member
    There are lots of bugs in the first few months after the release of a new OS.
    I don't say windows 10 is bad, but I am saying to wait a few months so the software and drivers can be made compatible and the bugs solved.
    It usually takes 3 to 4 months for the most problems to be solved properly.

Thema:

1. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power down - Similar Threads - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR during power

2. Windows 11 pc keeps powering down during sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pc keeps powering down during sleep: PROBLEMPowerspec B748 Device name PowerSpecB748 Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-12700K 3.61 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.7 GB usable Device ID 14156B02-FEAA-46D6-98DC-DF46139A3E77 Product ID 00355-60694-18031-AAOEM System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor...
  3. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  4. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  5. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD DURING GAME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD DURING GAME: Playing everything at high, not even at ultra, ray tracing active, after a few minutes, in the heaviest games, the BSOD described in the title of the question occurs. For now, only during game. I'll be forwarding the BSOD files soon.COMPONENTS:GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2AMD...
  7. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD DURING GAME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD DURING GAME: Playing everything at high, not even at ultra, ray tracing active, after a few minutes, in the heaviest games, the BSOD described in the title of the question occurs. For now, only during game. I'll be forwarding the BSOD files soon.COMPONENTS:GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite V2AMD...
  8. whea_uncorrectable_error during gaming - BSoD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    whea_uncorrectable_error during gaming - BSoD: i7-4790K @ 4.0 GHZ 32.0 GB - DDR3 (1066.5 MHz) Asus - Maximus VII Hero (Haswell/Z97) Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 W10 64x Months and months ago.. one BSOD. Weeks later, another. Weeks later, another. Then every weekend. Now every day. Can't make it through without BSoD. New...
  9. BSOD during Rainbox Six Siege, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during Rainbox Six Siege, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124): Hi. Any ideas what caused this and how to prevent it from happening again? I have recently changed back to the recomended driver from asus for my grafics card, since I had alot of driver crashes in other games. This driver has been stable so far in other games. I had a...
  10. Windows powers down during boot, wtf?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows powers down during boot, wtf?: When I power up my PC, the BIOS boots, then I see the blue window in the center of the screen as Windows 10 x64 is allegedly booting, then my machine powers down/off. If I then press the power button again, Windows 10 actually boots as it should. Why the frack is Windows 10...