Windows 10: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it?

Discus and support WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an HP notebook (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-ck000-laptop-pc/17296798/model/19496922/document/c05859503) that's about one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Inspector343, Dec 14, 2019.

1. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it?

I have an HP notebook (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/produc...pc/17296798/model/19496922/document/c05859503) that's about one and a half years old. It has been working almost fine (its fan was always worryingly noisy and I often only start hearing the audio after a second I start playing music/any sound, but I'm not sure this is very relevant) until about October, when it started to occasionally hang up and stay that way until I reset it manually. Then I upgraded to 1909 and the problem changed, now I started getting a BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and it actually restarted afterwards. But the cause of this is puzzling to me, as it is kind of unpredictable. It mostly happens when I install something big, like Visual Studio, and especially when I install graphics drivers, but not always. It does it when I browse, watch movies, edit documents, leave the machine locked (when it seems idle), even if I try to install Windows. The only thing that is roughly consistent is a high CPU usage. Currently I have two flash drives with W10 x64 1909 on them, made by different machines. One will barely make it to the install screen and the other one installs just fine. I suppose they have different drivers on them, and on the first one there is a kind of driver that has a conflict with one of my system's components. Once I installed Windows from the second one, it was working fine, until it tried to boot after installing all the drivers from Windows Update. It gave me the BSOD 4 times before it could finish. I suppose it either downloaded a driver that doesn't go well with my notebook or it downloaded a driver for a component that didn't have a driver before that, but after it got activated, it started to cause problems again. The frequency of it is unpredictable as well, sometimes it works for days, sometimes it crashes five times a day.

An interesting thing is that if I limit CPU usage to 70%, this problem basically never happens. Out of the ~100 BSODs, I can't remember one that happened while the CPU was limited, that's why I think it's defective. I have done so many memory tests with zero errors, aida64 stress tests, checked the SSD and HDD with Hard Disk Sentinel and found nothing wrong (it has crashed during it once or twice but not any more frequently than while doing anything else that's heavy on the CPU), UEFI hardware diagnostics, and the only thing that didn't work there properly was audio. But that works kinda fine in Windows, and it has crashed before in safe mode as well, when the audio driver isn't even loaded, as far as I know. I got a wireless mouse dongle plugged in at all times, but it's crashed before with that unplugged, so I guess it's not the culprit either.

This notebook's UEFI doesn't support overclocking, so it can't be that. I also reset everything I could in there. Reinstalled Windows around three times (tried to do it multiple times before, but it crashed), with different installers. Installed all the (old) drivers from HP's website, used Driver Booster, still not working. Although it mostly crashed after the CPU has started to work on something, it is still not a rule. I don't wanna service it because I know they are gonna take at least a month, and I really want this machine reliable and operational, but I'm afraid it really is hardware failure. But maybe it isn't... is it somehow possible for me to identify the problematic component and disable it? I have around five minidumps, but not sure how to interpret what they're saying, could those help?

submitted by /u/Inspector343
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Inspector343, Dec 14, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Stop Code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Hi,

This might be caused by faulty driver, hardware issues or antivirus software problems. We suggest checking this
    article that has steps on how to resolve stop code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Dewdrop_ Win User
    Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Dec 14, 2019
  4. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it?

How to fix Whea_Uncorrectable_Error

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message along with the error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop?

I would like to inform that the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture
    (WHEA).

I suggest you to refer to the below article, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned and check if it helps.

Refer: Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Hope it helps. If the issue still persist reply to the post with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it?

1. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on notebook, which component is causing it? - Similar Threads - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR notebook component

2. Which component is causing BSOD on my Dynabook ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which component is causing BSOD on my Dynabook ?: Hi guys,The dynabook portege X30L-J keeps having BDOS many times a day.Which component is causing this ? is it the network adapter ?DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.Arguments:Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device...
  3. Which component is causing BSOD on my Dynabook ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which component is causing BSOD on my Dynabook ?: Hi guys,The dynabook portege X30L-J keeps having BDOS many times a day.Which component is causing this ? is it the network adapter ?DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.Arguments:Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device...
  4. Which component is causing BSOD on my Dynabook ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR Component : PCI Express Root Port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR Component : PCI Express Root Port: Hello Everyone,My laptop received a Windows 11 upgrade at the start of this year 2022.Since, 23th March, 2022, my Laptop has been shutting down suddenly, with blue screen message saying 'WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR'.At first I ignored it, considering it was a bug from Windows...
  6. What is causing this WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is causing this WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR: About two weeks ago, my system started getting random BSODs with different error messages. They increased in frequency until i couldn't boot into windows any more. So, I cleaned the SSD and installed a new windows10. after about a day a BSOD with the...
  7. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR caused by hal.dll

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR caused by hal.dll: So I just built a new pc a few months ago, and lately it's been crashing quite often and the error message is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR so I tried to diagnose what the problem is and here is what I got On Sat 2020-07-18 22:59:32 your computer crashed or a problem was...
  8. BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error with MSI components and i9-7960X 2.80GHz

BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error with MSI components and i9-7960X 2.80GHz: Hello guys, Im currently playing on MSI components. While using MSI Dragon Center and going with Scenario : Gaming Mode its safe overcloking after 2 mins of playing my pc get BSOD. Im putting my pc specs and error full code. I hope you can help me guys. My PC...
  9. hal.dll causing BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

hal.dll causing BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR: Hello all! Yesterday I was playing some videogames in my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 and suddenly I had this BSOD crash in my computer. At first I thought it was just a one time thing but when the PC restarted it appeared again and again after some time. I've found it could be...
  10. Which computer component is causing my BSOD?

Which computer component is causing my BSOD?: I'm almost certain these BSODs are from hardware failure since a particular power fluctuation apparently broke the computer + windows has been reinstalled multiple times since. The BSODs happen at indefinite times-- sometimes during gaming, others when it's idle; and in...