Windows 10: When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working

Discus and support When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having this issue for maybe a year now and ran out of options on what to do to stop it. Tried to tweak with my router settings, computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ValeryRosweld, Jul 11, 2020.

1. When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working

I've been having this issue for maybe a year now and ran out of options on what to do to stop it.

Tried to tweak with my router settings, computer settings, etc but it doesn't seem to work at all.

So whenever I'm using my internet, like if I'm on YouTube for example, my 5GHz wifi would just quickly vanish from my available network list but 2.GHz would still be there. However, I cannot be online at all when the 5GHz would be disappeared and end up getting a "No Internet Access" over the 2.GHz therefore temporarily disconnected until the 5GHz comes back on the list.

I have used the "Troubleshooter" and most times it fixes the problem, it always says "the default gateway is not available" almost everytime so I also wonder if it's something with my dual router/modem from my internet provider that isn't working right with my laptop or isn't compatible with it or something like that.

I've also cleaned my cache, changed DNS, went from DCHP to Static on settings numerous times.

Even updated my network adapter but it doesn't seem to help either.

I also will state that my three roommates apparently have the same issue with their own computers, which we all have Windows 10 and had been updating them rather regularly.

Here is the screenshots of what I'm talking about:

5GHz disappearing: https://i.imgur.com/BvxOgDQ.png

2.GHz loses internet access before 5GHz resurfaces and automatically reconnects: https://i.imgur.com/M6qltw4.png

My network adapter is Intel® Wireless-AC 9461 incase you needed more information on it.

So, what could be causing this to happen? What should I do?

:)

ValeryRosweld, Jul 11, 2020

2. Laptop won't show list of available networks

We suggest checking the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your laptop.

Please follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo.
    • Go to Settings (gear icon).
    • Select Network and Internet.
    • Then Wi-Fi.
    • Make sure the Wi-Fi radio button is On.
    • Select Show available networks, then you'll be able to see the list of available Wi-Fi networks.

Update us with the outcome so we provide further assistance.

Robert Caw, Jul 11, 2020
  3. johnny234 Win User
    Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Jul 11, 2020
  4. lukyluc56 Win User

When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working

Unable to see the local router Wi-Fi network

I am working on a friend HP All-in-one system that has a Wi-Fi interface. It came with Windows 10 so there has been no upgrade from a previous version of Windows. Some of the System Specification:

HP 23-r119c All-in-One Desktop PC
    Intel Core i3-4170T CPU
    8 GB of memory
    Integrated Intel HD Graphics
    Realtek ALC3228 sound
    Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n fetirung 2.4 Ghz 1 x 1 technology
    (Shows in device manager as a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adaptor)
    1TB Disk drive
    CD/DVD burner drive

Side note I am not sitting at the system now and have no access. I am trying to see if anyone has seen an issue exactly like that. I did lots of research, seen lots of issues reported that are similar but none that fit my exact symptoms. Most fixes reported for issues where a Wi-Fi network is not showing up did not work for me.

So here it is. The connection to the local Wi-Fi router used to work fine. The name of the Wi-Fi network is BELL500. At some point in time the Wi-Fi network BELL500 disappeared. It does not show when I click on the Wi-Fi icon on the task bar. But other Wi-Fi networks do show up. Here is what I have tried so far.

• 1- Using my own laptop I was able to connect to the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 and had access to the Internet. So router and service provider are fine.
    • 2- Downloaded the Wi-Fi adaptor driver from HP and install. To do so I first uninstall the device from the device manager and then ran the installation script I downloaded from HP. The Wi-FI adaptor was created and available network showed up. But the problem persists. Connection is not possible to local Wi-Fi network BELL500 since it is not listed in the available network.
    • 3- Perform and sfc /scannow. There was no problem found. The problem is still there, the Wi-Fi network BELL500 does not show up.
    • 4- Connected to a Wi-Fi network available from the list that had no security. It connected but it is a guest network and needed more credential to continue that I did not have.
    • 5- Enabled my iPhone connection sharing. It showed up on the Wi-Fi list indicated that the service to discover the network also worked fine.
    • 6- Tried to add and configure manually using control panel the BELL500 network. Even tried to use a different name. Did not work, never came up as a possible network to connect.
    • 7- Shutdown the All-in-One system. Powered off/on the Wi-Fi router and waited for connection to work. Rebooted the All-in-One. There is no change for the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 it still did not show up. Other networks do show up.
    • 8- Re-enable my iPhone connection sharing. It appeared on the All-in-One and I made the connection. I was able to get the All-in-One on the internet and it worked fine.

From all that it seems as if the Wi-Fi adaptor on the All-in-One worked fine, the Windows 10 services to discover and make connection to Wi-Fi network work fine and the router also worked fine. But from some weird and unknown reason the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 has disappeared and we are unable to get it back.

I executed a “netsh wlan show all” before and after the reboot. I put the result in 2 files that I have attached. Never saw the BELL500 network. The output are in french. If there is anything you need translated let me know. One thing I found strange on the output is that in the list of SSID there is one with no name. I tried the same command and I never saw an entry like that on my laptop.

One thing I forgot to do while trying to fix the problem was to search the registry to find if the BELL500 is listed anywhere. Is it possible that the Wi-Fi network BELL500 is still present somewhere in the registry, but that the registry entry is in a way that it would not display on the list, be listed with the netsh wlan command, would prevent the network to be rediscover and could not be used. If I found any entries in de registry with the BELL500 network should I delete them? Any idea as to what I should look at or do to try to clear the situation.

Thank you,

Luc

lukyluc56, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working

1. When 5ghz WI-FI disappears from available network list; internet stops working - Similar Threads - 5ghz disappears available

2. Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear: Good afternoon,Around every 15-60 minutes, my wi-fi would cut off from my PC and every other network disappears. The wi-fi's dead only for my computer, but every other device still has access to the wi-fi during the time. Disconnecting and reconnecting during the minute only...
  3. Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear: Good afternoon,Around every 15-60 minutes, my wi-fi would cut off from my PC and every other network disappears. The wi-fi's dead only for my computer, but every other device still has access to the wi-fi during the time. Disconnecting and reconnecting during the minute only...
  4. Wi fi disappears when internet drops out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi fi disappears when internet drops out: Sometimes my internet drops out. When it comes back on my laptop cannor 'see' the wifi options in order to re-connect I have to restart. This is annoying and often means I have to repeat online work...
  5. My Wi-Fi suddenly disappears from the list of available Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Wi-Fi suddenly disappears from the list of available Wi-Fi: Hello community My Wi-Fi name suddenly disappears from the Wi-Fi list and it gets disconnected. My neighbors Wi-Fi appears, my access point appears, but only my Wi-Fi disappears. There is nothing wrong with my router. There are no such problems on my other Windows and Android...
  6. Wi-Fi icon on the toolbar not showing the list of available networks

in Windows 10 News
    Wi-Fi icon on the toolbar not showing the list of available networks: [ATTACH]The fastest way to find and connect to networks in your area is by […] This article Wi-Fi icon on the toolbar not showing the list of available networks first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Last connected & functional wi-fi network sometimes disappears from available networks list

Last connected & functional wi-fi network sometimes disappears from available networks list: Hi all I've had an issue on my Dell E6430S running Win10 for about 18 months now which has progressively gotten worse and I haven't found a working fix anywhere online. The laptop is permanently kept in my home office & connects daily to our office network & internet via...
  8. Wi-Fi feature disappears from Taskbar and from Network & Internet Settings

Wi-Fi feature disappears from Taskbar and from Network & Internet Settings: Hi, Everything works well when I start my laptop. I can connect to any wifi networks with no issues.The problem begins when I disconnect a wifi network. After disconnecting wifi, I'm unable to see any available wifi networks and even theWi-Fi tab under Network &...
  9. List of available wi-fi networks

List of available wi-fi networks: Recently had cable internet installed. Previous to that we had internet through the phone company...all products worked fine AS LONG AS THE INTERNET WASN'T DOWN. After cable was installed: tablet, Ipad, GoogleHome, 3 TVs, all see and use new wifi network. Laptop running...
  10. Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear

Wi-Fi drops connection and available networks disappear: hello, My laptop drops connection with my wi-fi network and all available wi-fi networks disappear from the list. After 1 minute, networks that disappeared reappears, but doesn't connect automatically to my network (connect automatically is checked). This happens every 30...