Windows 10: When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?

Discus and support When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello!If I have a shared folder C:\Data on one PC and access it from another \\PC\Data, what permissions would that give me? Would it be NTFS and Share... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by KaelaHenkel, Jul 13, 2021.

1. When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?

Hello!If I have a shared folder C:\Data on one PC and access it from another \\PC\Data, what permissions would that give me? Would it be NTFS and Share at least or most restricted? How do I know when NTFS and share permissions are combined?Thanks!

:)

KaelaHenkel, Jul 13, 2021
  2. SarahKong Win User

Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

I teach this all the time.

The way it works is the most restrictive applies when combining share and NTFS permissions.

What that means is if you share a folder as read and then you set NTFS permissions as read and write you are only going to get read. Because it is the most restrictive when combined.

So basically set your share permissions for your group as full control then use NTFS permissions to create the restrictions.

So if you want a group to be able to read and write but not delete then set share as full control from that group. Then go to NTFS permissions and set explicit permissions for that group to only read and write.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

SarahKong, Jul 13, 2021
  3. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Jul 13, 2021
  4. Mike0409 Win User

When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?

vistas sharing permissions... help needed

What I don't understand the following:

Firewalls= Off
    Ownership = Him
    NTFS Security Permissions = Allow user, full control set
    Share permissions = allow user, full control set
    Password Protection = Off

What the fuck is stopping the authentication??

Fit for shit's and giggles, add the user you want to the Security permissions of the Hard drive the share is on.

Meaning if the share is on your C: Drive, go into the Security Tab in the C: drive and add that user. But don't share that Drive out, just set those NTFS permissions.

Mike0409, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?

1. When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined? - Similar Threads - are NTFS Share

2. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs. Share Permissions: What are the difference between NTFS and Share Permission, I know they have the same purpose in terms assign permission and stopping unauthorized access to files and folders....
  3. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS vs. Share Permissions: What are the difference between NTFS and Share Permission, I know they have the same purpose in terms assign permission and stopping unauthorized access to files and folders....
  4. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  6. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS Permission: Hello, I have created permissions on the folder share on the server and gave a specific user not to delete or delete, but I gave him permission Write Attribute and Write Extended Attribute However, I can't save to an excel sheet, but anything else works like Notepad ...........
  7. NTFS Permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. NTFS permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS permissions: Windows 10, Windows 7 - probably all Window versions. I work in a highly regulated area and want to just save data to a Windows folder/directory that does not allow (for data integrity purposes) users to delete or modify data stored within the directory. Windows saving...
  9. NTFS Permissions...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS Permissions...: I am unable to change the permission of a folder. I have never come across this problem until now and it's irritating because I am unable to download steam games due to the fact my folder is stuck in read-only and every time I un-check the box and click apply, the folder...
  10. Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions?: Which permissions override when using Folder permissions and NTFS permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/which-permissions-override-when-using-folder/ea226001-173c-49f6-afa1-0d6de9f1f4c5"