Windows 10: When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10?

Discus and support When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? I've been a Windows Insider for a while, but I'm not seeing any major changes in the UI/UX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Yamcha67, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Yamcha67 Win User

When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10?

When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? I've been a Windows Insider for a while, but I'm not seeing any major changes in the UI/UX direction. We still see a lack of consistency across native apps, even the ones in preview, and that concerns me because it looks like they are headed in the wrong direction again. You can compare apps like To-Do, Groove, News, Weather & Photos, and you get the impression that each is designed by a completely different person. It's as if you guys have got a different team for each app, and this is why we see a lack of consistency across the board. It appears to be a different designer's take on Fluent every time, and it looks inconsistent.

I've attached screenshots to illustrate this example, but I hope Microsoft is listening to this sort of advice because changes are needed. Consistency would make Windows a much easier platform to use, and it also helps give the user a great experience. It makes it easier for all users to understand where things are, and help recognize native apps. As you can probably notice in the screenshots below, we've got completely different attempts at Fluent design and not much cohesion at all.

1. Menu styles are all over the place Different icon colours & navigation
    2. The News app has a red section and hidden navigation menu by default
    3. No fluent transparency across the board
    4. Some search boxes have rounded corners, but others are squared off

There's so much more that I could highlight, but that would be very time-consuming. I'm sure people get the gist of the post, and hopefully, we see these sorts of changes in the upcoming insider fast ring. I've seen the Start Menu leak from Panos Panay, but it was a render, and it doesn't seem to reflect the apps that are in current development. There needs to be a sense of cohesion and consistency across the board. I understand that not all apps can look the same given the content and goals of each app are going to be different, but these native apps should fit together.

When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? 53dae23d-2ef2-4e9b-9912-a4f14b03cd43?upload=true.jpg

:)

Yamcha67, Jun 4, 2020
  2. J Sunde Win User

Consistently Inconsistent UI in Windows 10

All over Windows 10 there are too many UI inconsistencies - and some of them have been around since the earliest versions of Windows. I'm going to list some of the ones I am aware of:

- Tooltips for minimise, maximise/restore and close have not been updated since at least Windows ME

- Many, many, many icon inconsistencies (control panel is by far the most irritating, but also in the icon selector and some settings)

- Use of Windows 8.x era UI in some context menus, the share UI, as well as the Wifi and Ease of Access on the lock screen

- The randomly different context menus scattered everywhere (just have one for mouse and one for touch - easy)

- App UI, just compare the mail app to the office mobile apps to the MSN apps to the groove app to the settings app

- One for Windows 10 Mobile is that the new file explorer app uses Windows Phone 8.1 UI on the bottom bar when saving or opening files from an app, I don't even understand how this one happened...

Please share any more you have noticed and I really hope that Microsoft takes notice of these issues, because while I am being picky on some of these - others are major issues or issues that have been around for so long its ridiculous that no one has thought
    to fix them.

J Sunde, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Selvamax Win User

Why no UI and UX design improvement for Next Gen ?

Hi Microsoft,

I love Windows more than Mac but in design and easy of use, Mac outperform Windows for me. Last few years I have used Mac as my primary system and just now switched to Windows 10. Still windows UI and UX are not good and moreover icons are still from Vista
    (my first laptop).

What Windows 10 lacks

1. Beautiful designed apps like in Mac (to be frank, I have no gud email app in windows 10)

2. Oldest apps are still looking same and used as main apps

3. Confusing multi-screen/multi-window

4. Proper and beautiful icons

5. Apps sizing and alignment

6. Perfect fast file searching option (Cortana is slow and offline search should be improved)

What Windows 10 should improve

1. Outdated task bar, outdated right click, outdated quick tray, unused right-side notification bar

2. Please redesign Explorer for this generation

3. Please redesign settings panel and remove old control panel

4. Hide dll and make it as an app like Mac & Linux

5. Redesign My Computer like Finder

6. Remove un needed options

7. Mainly redesign UI and UX for current and future generations.

Selvamax, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

1. When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - are going consistency

2. UI/UX Design

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UI/UX Design: Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here and don't know either this is a right forum to post or not. Admin you can remove my post if it is against any rule. Well, I'm working on a web project and for this I need ui/ux design services providing team. As ui/ux team works alongside the...
  3. UI/UX Design

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UI/UX Design: Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here and don't know either this is a right forum to post or not. Admin you can remove my post if it is against any rule. Well, I'm working on a web project and for this I need ui/ux design services providing team. As ui/ux team works alongside the...
  4. Windows 10 ui going up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ui going up: Whenever I open any start menu related UI element its as if I'm pressing the up key on my keyboard i.e. calendar, volume selector, start menu, network selector etc.. Things get automatically selected and i cant even easily access settings by searching "Settings", since I...
  5. When will we be able to customize the Windows UI

When will we be able to customize the Windows UI: Hello, I was wondering when, if ever, we will be able to customize the Windows UI?i.e. change the icons, loading bars, etc As this is the one reason I keep trying to switch to a KDE Linux system. The ways you can customize the Linux UI are unlimited and you can make it look...
  6. Windows 10 dark UI could soon look and feel more consistent

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 dark UI could soon look and feel more consistent: One of the biggest visual update coming to Windows 10 is codenamed ‘Sun Valley’, which aims to reduce the sharp corners, introduce a new interface for core components and offer a consistent UI. Last week, we showed you a first glimpse of what Windows 10 modern context menu...
  7. Can't consistently see shared folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't consistently see shared folders: I have two laptops connected via an ethernet switch. I am using the current version of Windows 10 home. One laptop, which I will call main, has two external USB 3.0 hard drives. I have turned file sharing on for everyone on both of these drives, as well as sharing also turned...
  8. Why no UI and UX design improvement for Next Gen ?

Why no UI and UX design improvement for Next Gen ?: Hi Microsoft, I love Windows more than Mac but in design and easy of use, Mac outperform Windows for me. Last few years I have used Mac as my primary system and just now switched to Windows 10. Still windows UI and UX are not good and moreover icons are still from Vista (my...
  9. A preview of UX and UI changes in Visual Studio 2019

in Windows 10 News
    A preview of UX and UI changes in Visual Studio 2019: Over the years, we’ve learned that sharing the evolution of Visual Studio, with you – our users – early and often helps us to deliver the best possible experience for our community. We’re excited to share today that, as part of the development of Visual Studio 2019, we’ve...
  10. When will we see new builds?

in Windows 10 Support
    When will we see new builds?: I was wondering when it is that us insiders will start getting any new builds. im aware they planned to give big updates every two months. does this mean we could get it every month? 12054