Windows 10: When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working.

Discus and support When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been using Windows 10 for several years now, and to my recollection, the only "password" I ever attached to this machine was a PIN number that I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ginsekai, Apr 15, 2021.

1. ginsekai Win User

When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working.

I've been using Windows 10 for several years now, and to my recollection, the only "password" I ever attached to this machine was a PIN number that I chose during initial setup. Earlier today, I decided to link this thing to the Microsoft account that I created long ago, back in the days of the XBox 360. Everything looks like it works until what I assume is the last step: It asks for the current Windows password for my current device one last time. Well, as I said, that password is just a PIN number, but entering it produces an error that the password is incorrect. I even tried entering every password that I can recall using for anything over the past few years, and nothing works. So what am I supposed to do here? Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

ginsekai, Apr 15, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working. :(

Zakin, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Apr 15, 2021
  4. When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working.

Problem When Right Clicking on Empty Area and Can't Change to Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description you are unable to use right click and change the Microsoft account to local account. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to change the Microsoft account to local account.

Follow these steps to create a “Local User account”.

• Press “Windows key" or Start icon.
    • Type “users” without quotes in the search box.
    • Then select “Users” from the left panel.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    • Then login to the local account and check how it works.

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working.

1. When changing to a Windows account from a local account, current Windows PIN not working. - Similar Threads - changing account local

2. Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In: At the moment, I have a laptop that is linked to a work Microsoft Account. I would like to change the login to the laptop to something simpler so the Microsoft password would be different than the laptop login password.I need to keep the same account that is already set up on...
  3. Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11: HiI've tried to change from a local account to Microsoft account.Go fine till i get to the screen where they ask for my password for last time.Keeps saying password is incorrectI have no trouble logging into outlook, office etc.I did notice it said windows password.I have...
  4. Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11

Changing from local account to microsoft account Windows 11: HiI've tried to change from a local account to Microsoft account.Go fine till i get to the screen where they ask for my password for last time.Keeps saying password is incorrectI have no trouble logging into outlook, office etc.I did notice it said windows password.I have...
  5. Windows Hello PIN - On local accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello PIN - On local accounts: Hello Community,Windows Hello PIN has been used mainly on Microsoft accounts, but I've seen it to local accounts. It works the same, type in your PIN. You can also select password, but still the same....
  6. Windows Hello PIN - On local accounts

Windows Hello PIN - On local accounts: Hello Community,Windows Hello PIN has been used mainly on Microsoft accounts, but I've seen it to local accounts. It works the same, type in your PIN. You can also select password, but still the same....
  7. Windows Hello PIN - On local accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. local account pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    local account pin: I've forgotten the pin/password for my local account, how do I recover it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-account-pin/194f8588-4c2e-4862-ba43-444e3b45b199
  9. Change from Microsoft Account to Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change from Microsoft Account to Local Account: Hi, When i first start up my new laptop, I used Microsoft Account to sign in and install all the program and apps including Microsoft Office. Now if I would like to change to Local Account, are the program and apps will remain the same or I will still need to install again?...
  10. Changing from a local account to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing from a local account to a Microsoft Account: Hi, I've been trying to change my local account to a Microsoft account on Windows 10, but I haven't been able to do so. No option appears saying "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". In the "Your info" section (Settings > Accounts > Your info), it displays my current...