Windows 10: When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing

Discus and support When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH]When I Click On The File Explorer Search Bar It's layout Disappears / Goes Missing . I have tried several fixes like resetting the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RKY_21, Aug 20, 2020.

1. RKY_21 Win User

When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing

RKY_21, Aug 20, 2020

2. How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 20, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 20, 2020
  4. When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing

Minimizing file explorer sends it back to search mode

With latest Windows 10 update (currently I'm having 2004), if you search in File Explorer and do "open folder/file location", and then minimize the explorer window, it will automatically roll back to original search status.

Steps to reproduce this bug:

1. Open File Explorer

2. Pick a drive/folder, say "D:\data"

3. On search box of File Explorer, type a search string, for instance "rose"

4. A list of folders/files that have the string "rose" will be listed, and now right click on a folder/file, and select "open folder/file location"

5. As expected, the search status (colored as blue in task bar) is gone, and the window becomes like a regular file explorer window (colored as yellow in task bar).

6. You can further click on side bar and choose a different folder to display

7. NOW the PROBLEM, if you minimize this window (or click on bottom right corner to minimize all open windows), you will see from task bar that it goes back to search mode, and display "rose". If you open it again, you will see it shows
    search result for "rose" in current folder.

So, by picking "open file location", you already end the search and want to use file explorer in its usual way, but minimizing the window brings it back to search mode. I use search A LOT, and have seen this issue only recently. This is definitely a bug!

Henry Shen, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing

1. When Clicking On File Explorer Search Bar It's Search Layout Goes Missing - Similar Threads - Clicking File Explorer

2. Search bar goes black/closes when clicked on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar goes black/closes when clicked on: Hello,I know this issue has been previously stated, I cannot however find a fix ANYWHERE online, at any forum, or even on this site, the usual advice is to reset via task manager or find a fix in device manager.I do not want to fully reset my Desktop as it took long enough...
  3. Search bar goes black/closes when clicked on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar goes black/closes when clicked on: Hello,I know this issue has been previously stated, I cannot however find a fix ANYWHERE online, at any forum, or even on this site, the usual advice is to reset via task manager or find a fix in device manager.I do not want to fully reset my Desktop as it took long enough...
  4. Search bar goes black/closes when clicked on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Missing icon in File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icon in File Explorer search bar: I'm at my wits' end here - for the longest time I've had this problem where there's a square in place of the magnifier icon in the search bar in File Explorer. There's barely any threads about this bug online - the only one I found mentioned resetting default font...
  6. file explorer search bar is missing in every folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    file explorer search bar is missing in every folder: [ATTACH] The file explorer search bar is missing from every folder. I have tried removing all updates but that did not fix it on my asus tuf laptop. I previously had this problem on my msi laptop and the fix was to remove the feature update. However, removing the feature...
  7. Search tools won't open when clicking in file explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search tools won't open when clicking in file explorer search bar: Search tools won't open when clicking in file explorer search bar. Same thing when pressing ctrl+F in file explorer. This problem exists on both of my Windows 10 Pro PCs. How do I fix this?...
  8. Search bar and missing file

Search bar and missing file: My search bar has gone walkies and not come back also I had a file and now I can't find it anywhere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-and-missing-file/77393ae1-a9cc-4b3a-911b-222deee84385"
  9. right click and paste into search bar on file explorer

right click and paste into search bar on file explorer: Hello, Since the 1909 windows update it seems that users at my workplace are unable to right click and paste into the search bar on file explorer. They can use Ctrl-v to paste but I was just wondering if there is a setting on file explorer to allow me to use the right-click...
  10. Search for Missing files in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer: I am using iTunes to locate missing files, which takes me to Explorer. All I have is the name of the files and the length in minutes to identify (and the name is the same). So I'm looking for a file called Class with a length of 2:30, as opposed to a file called Class with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Search tools not showing in File Explorer Windows 10