Windows 10: when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off...

Discus and support when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My windows icon no longer opens any options, i.e. shutdown ,restart, power off or shows my desktop or any options and that includes RUN which is all I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cathousedixie, Jan 26, 2021.

1. when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off...

My windows icon no longer opens any options, i.e. shutdown ,restart, power off or shows my desktop or any options and that includes RUN which is all I know that would allow me to fix this issue myself. I have an HP Pavillion 360 convertible laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

cathousedixie, Jan 26, 2021

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off... Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

Thanks for the input, but it is not a matter of clicks or being bothered about anything or using whatever you like. I have posted this option for consideration by any user who may be interested.

I know all the alternatives like the back of my hand, but personally favour the desktop icons as more attractive, convenient and certainly much quicker. They are MY best choice. If others beg to differ, then be my guest, it is a free world. It is an interest post NOT an argumentative topic. If you do not like it, then pass on bye.

By the way who clicks these icons TWICE ? I certainly do not, I never click anything twice, since I have configured my Windows XP to use only ONE click for any icon I have and I have lots of them.

Finally, whoever uses the Power button to shutdown ? Crashing the Power button does not shut down Windows and all the programs properly and is a ham-fisted and reckless suggestion. This is elementary to PC operations and is only done in emergency. You should know this.

PLEASE ! I am not prepared to argue about this proposal, if you think it is rubbish, then just move on and ignore it. The OP is intended to be informative NOT argumentative.

Bald Eagle, Jan 26, 2021
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off...

Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

Is it not the same effort to click or use Windows key> shutdown or restart as it is to minimise window and double click an desktop icon?

Alternatively if you're bothered about the 2 clicks to shut down you could always use the power button on your case to shut down which is even more efficient

Or you could just use a keyboard combination for each operation Keyboard Shortcuts for Shutting Down, Rebooting, and Going to Sleep

NdMk2o1o, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off...

1. when clicking on the windows icon nothing comes up, I cannot shutdown, restart, power off... - Similar Threads - clicking icon nothing

2. is it supposed to be there? comes up after every restart. Nothing happens when i click. Its...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it supposed to be there? comes up after every restart. Nothing happens when i click. Its...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Schemus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/101eqf5/is_it_supposed_to_be_there_comes_up_after_every/
  3. When i click on start windows icon nothing happens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i click on start windows icon nothing happens: I cannot get to windows settings, is there away to reload windows 10I bought this computer from Walmart and it didnt come with a windows 10 diskAny help would be great...
  4. When i click on start windows icon nothing happens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When i click on start windows icon nothing happens: I cannot get to windows settings, is there away to reload windows 10I bought this computer from Walmart and it didnt come with a windows 10 diskAny help would be great...
  5. When i click on start windows icon nothing happens

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  7. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  8. When i click the wifi icon this shows up, also when i click my settings nothing comes up,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When i click the wifi icon this shows up, also when i click my settings nothing comes up,...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Evgplays [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k37z80/when_i_click_the_wifi_icon_this_shows_up_also/
  9. when I click on settings, nothing comes up, can't click on any of the options listed

in Windows 10 Customization
    when I click on settings, nothing comes up, can't click on any of the options listed: setting display is blank except for options on left hand of screen but am unable to click on any of them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-on-settings-nothing-comes-up-cant/13794c95-915b-468a-a7e9-e301b1150702
  10. Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting: One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and...