Windows 10: When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will...

Discus and support When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to space issues, I don't keep my entire music collection on my phone, but it does have a large playlist on it. Previously I would update this list... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mauzeraut, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Mauzeraut Win User

When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will...

Due to space issues, I don't keep my entire music collection on my phone, but it does have a large playlist on it. Previously I would update this list by simply dragging and dropping the selected files from the Windows 10 machine to the android music folder or copy/paste the contents into the folder, which brings up the "copy file" dialog box, then select "don't copy" from the resulting dialog box and selecting "do this for all conflicts". This would update the android folder with the new files only, without any requirement to fiddle with searches or creation dates and so on.Now, on doing thi

:)

Mauzeraut, Aug 14, 2021

2. Setting up & then copying/creating a playlist on my mp3 player with that music

Thanks for the feedback. When I copy the music, the playlist name doesn't get copied. The music shows on the MP3 player as a list of songs and not grouped under a playlist name. I'm missing s step here & can't figure it out.

jackbrennanSP, Aug 14, 2021
  3. TOFO NYC Win User
    Empty Xbox Music Playlists on Windows Phone 8

How to Install / Load / Upload Playlists to Windows Phone 8.1 using the Xbox Music app

• Delete all playlists from the Xbox Music app manually on your PC/laptop

• Delete all playlists from your Xbox Music internet account manually

• Delete the Xbox Music app from Windows

• Delete both the Windows Phone desktop and Metro apps from your PC

• Go to your “Playlists” folder on your PC (which is your “Default Save Location” for your Music library in Windows Explorer)… and make sure that there are less than 100 playlists in that folder (because the Xbox Music app can only recognize
      100 at a time—which is dumb)

• You don’t need to delete the extra playlists, just move them to a separate folder (I called mine “Archived Playlists”) and make sure that it is NOT included in your Music library folder

• Note: If you have multiple copies of the same playlist (.wmp, .zpl., .m3u) then you will only want to keep one of those in your Music library folder (I used all WMP playlists in this sample)

• Once you have all your (100 or less) playlists chosen in your Music library folder, you should restart your computer

• In the meantime, Restore/Reset your phone (erasing everything, including SD Card… especially if that’s where the music is)

• Note: I’m not certain that you need to reset the entire phone, but this is just how I did it (to be on the safe side)

• Also, it should be pretty obvious that I am loading songs to my SD Card and not to the phone’s hard drive, but the same rules should apply either way (I think)

• After restarting your PC, reinstall the Xbox Music app and the Windows Phone desktop app on your PC

• Next, open the Xbox Music app and choose “Import Playlists”
      (it will now load all of the playlists in your Music library folder)

• Once all playlists are added to the Xbox Music app, then go to the Xbox Music website and login… and give it about 10 minutes to upload the playlists you imported in the app (it should happen automatically)

• You may have to refresh your screen to make sure all the playlists are there

• THESE NEXT STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT & MUST BE FOLLOWED CLOSELY

• Using the Windows Phone Desktop app, go to the “Add or Remove Folders” link/button, and REMOVE the folder where your playlists are stored (if you don’t take this step, then your playlists will show up TWICE on your phone… with half
        of them being empty—not sure why this happens)

• Note: After this step, there should NOT be any playlists showing up in your Windows Phone desktop app at this point.
          If there are, DO NOT select them to add to your phone (or they will show up empty) and/or try to find the source file and remove it from the detected folders in the Windows Phone desktop app

• Next, choose where you want your music installed (Phone or SD Card) using the Windows Phone desktop app, and then choose the music you want to load to your phone by selecting “Sync Music” or “Sync All Music” boxes, and then the “Sync”
        button

• Once all of the music is loaded using the Windows Phone desktop app, proceed to the next step

• Once all the songs are uploaded to your phone (according to the Windows Phone Desktop app), then go to your phone and open the Xbox Music app… and go to Settings and toggle on the “Connect to Streaming Music” and wait for the phone
      to “load/add” your songs, etc.

• Once everything is loaded, your playlists will start to pop up with the songs in them (this may take 10 minutes or so)

• You can then choose where you want the songs to be played from “Showing” toggle at the top of the Playlists lists (i.e., All Music, On my phone, SD Card, Streaming).

• If you don’t want music streamed, then don’t choose the “All Music” option—choose “SD Card” or “On my phone”

• That’s it. You should be all set. Based on this method, it is my understanding that the Playlists are actually loaded from your online Xbox Music account—not from your PC (even though the Windows Phone desktop app would
      lead one to believe so). But it’s entirely possible that I’m wrong. All I know at this point is… this method worked for me… after a lot of trial and error. Microsoft REALLY needs to simplify this. No one should have to work this hard to upload their playlists
      to their phones. No wonder Windows Phone is struggling!!!

TOFO NYC, Aug 14, 2021
  4. When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will...

Importing Playlist from Windows Media Player to Windows 8 Phone

I was able to create a play list with Windows Media Player and add it to my phone and it copied the songs. I did this with Windows 8.1 with the following steps

• Run Windows Media Player. This is the desktop app, not the Music app from the Start screen.
    • Created a new playlist and added some songs to the playlist.
    • Started the Windows Phone App (the modern UI version, not the desktop version)
    • Clicked the "Add to phone" button and selected "Add playlists".
    • Navigated to the folder containing the playlist created by Windows Media Player. The default folder is "This PC > Music > Playlists" and the file will have a .wpl file extension.
    • Select the playlist and click the add button.
    You should see some notification that the playlist and the music files were copied to the phone.

Christopher Miller, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will...

1. When copying a large number of files, such as updating a music playlist, Windows 10 will... - Similar Threads - copying large number

2. How to copy file metadata for a large number of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy file metadata for a large number of files: I have a lot of videos saved on my hard drive, each of which has a director listed in the metadata. I want to get a full list of those videos along with their directors, but can't seem to find a way to do so with Excel, or any other tool within Windows file explorer - there's...
  3. How to copy file metadata for a large number of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy file metadata for a large number of files: I have a lot of videos saved on my hard drive, each of which has a director listed in the metadata. I want to get a full list of those videos along with their directors, but can't seem to find a way to do so with Excel, or any other tool within Windows file explorer - there's...
  4. How to copy file metadata for a large number of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. File corruption when copying large files

File corruption when copying large files: Hello,I'm experiencing a problem with Windows 10 where I get corrupt backup files if I copy and paste them from one connected external hard drive to another, and the transfer rate is too fast. These files are very large, tending to range in size from 20 GB to 100 GB. Whenever...
  6. Large Number Of Files Copying To FTP Partly Complete

Large Number Of Files Copying To FTP Partly Complete: Version 20H2 (19042.1165) I am using an FTP server from my phone to transfer my music files (70GB+) from my computer to the phone. It was going fine, I got to 85% complete, then I accidentally interrupted the copying. Now I don't know how to copy *only* the remaining files,...
  7. Large Number Of Files Copying To FTP Partly Complete

in Windows 10 Support
    Large Number Of Files Copying To FTP Partly Complete: Version 20H2 (19042.1165) I am using an FTP server from my phone to transfer my music files (70GB+) from my computer to the phone. It was going fine, I got to 85% complete, then I accidentally interrupted the copying. Now I don't know how to copy *only* the remaining files,...
  8. Numbering music files

Numbering music files: I am curious whether or nor it is possible to sequentially number music files.I have 68 music clips and I'd like to number them sequentially - 1 to 68. I've searched the internet and MS. All I get is how to batch "rename" files. That isn't what I'm looking for. I don't want...
  9. Music Playlists

Music Playlists: I have a couple of hundred playlists. They are customized to show "Artist" "Genre" & "Length" only. When I changed my folder icon they all went back to showing all the columns I don't need! I have tried but failed to find a way to customize all my playlists in bulk! If...
  10. My Music Playlists

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Music Playlists: I had Music Playlists of 1950/60s Music, 1970s Music, 1980s Music, 1990s Music, 2000s + Music , Brass Band Music, Christmas Music. These have all disappeared from my music library. Why/where has the music gone gone? the playlists are still there but all the music has gone!!!...