Windows 10: When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers

Discus and support When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; When setting up a new laptop, signing into Microsoft, I am prompted to create a Microsoft PIN. I can place the cursor in the box, I can type a number,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by LucyB., Dec 6, 2018.

1. LucyB. Win User

When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers

When setting up a new laptop, signing into Microsoft, I am prompted to create a Microsoft PIN. I can place the cursor in the box, I can type a number, but am not able to type a character. It asks that numbers, characters, and symbols are used to create a PIN.

Unlike a similar question, there is not an ease of access center button. I am only in the beginning stages of setting up and am somewhat limited.

Please help me if you can!

Thank you,

Lucy B.

:)

LucyB., Dec 6, 2018

2. Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern about creating pin to your computer, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC (click to get permission when prompted).
    • Delete the contents of that folder (delete everything in that folder, but leave that folder and everything above it).
    • Go back to settings, accounts, sign in options.
    • Your non-working pin will now be gone, and you can just click 'add a pin' and set it again.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    Why doesn't my pin work with the anniversary edition?

Hi Nancy,

We would like to know more about the issue. Before you had the Anniversary Update, were you using an 8-digit PIN?

For the meantime, we suggest that you remove the current PIN and create a new PIN. You can do that by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Remove.

After you have deleted your current PIN, create a new 4-digit PIN by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Add.

Once you have created your new 4-digit PIN, restart your computer and sign-in using the new 4-digit PIN.

Note: It is very important that you remove then create a new PIN rather than changing the current PIN.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Dec 6, 2018
  4. When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers

How do I log into Windows by typing the last character of my PIN?

The minimum length is four digits (0–9 only; no letters or special characters allowed). When we set the PIN as four digits, to sign in to Windows on our laptop, type the PIN, we don’t even need to press the Enter key — just type the numbers.

How to Add a PIN to Your Account in Windows 10

For your question:
    How can I make it so that entering the last character of the PIN is enough to trigger login, removing the need to hit enter?

We can refer the articles: How to log in using PIN without pressing ENTER?

By default, the PIN is four digits, we don’t need to press the Enter key, in the article, the user need to hit enter, but when he changed the PIN and it does not need ENTER. we can test using PIN without pressing ENTER according to the article.

1. The length of the PIN is more than four but all numbers.
    2. The length of the PIN is more than four digits but includes numbers and other characters.

If we need to hit Enter in both cases, I think because the system defines the length of the PIN to be four digits, or customize its length. So if the system recognizes that the length of the PIN is only a minimum of 4 digits, he recognizes that the four digits are entered directly after being typed. When the PIN length exceeds four digits, he cannot recognize the length of the PIN until all PIN characters are entered, so we need to press the Enter key.

We can also configure PIN Complexity via Group Policy

How to enable & configure PIN Complexity Group Policy in Windows 10

Daisy Zhou, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers

1. When Creating Microsoft PIN for a new Laptop, Can't Type Characters Only Numbers - Similar Threads - Creating Microsoft PIN

2. can not type in the pin number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not type in the pin number: Hi,When I open the pad with windows 10, the system asks me to type in the PIN number, but I cannot type in anything in the box. However if I select sign-in with my another account, I can enter the password and sign-in....
  3. can not type in the pin number

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    can not type in the pin number: Hi,When I open the pad with windows 10, the system asks me to type in the PIN number, but I cannot type in anything in the box. However if I select sign-in with my another account, I can enter the password and sign-in....
  4. Keyboard typing random numbers and characters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing random numbers and characters: Hi,So I was playing a game on my computer when I suddenly noticed my keyboard was really buggy after I had messaged my friendI typed out: "Im in poggers on a call" poggers was a name of a minecraft world Instead it typed: "\im \in6 -pogge5rs on6 a call". It was typing random...
  5. Can't type letters only numbers, can't access pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't type letters only numbers, can't access pc: Hello, as you read i am having an issue that I cannot find the answer to. Shut down computer one night, turned on in am and I can't type in letters, only numbers. Come to find out it is very likely to be a keyboard drivers issue. Which is fixable but.... I cannot gain access...
  6. Strange Characters display for numbers only

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Characters display for numbers only: Hello all, So I have this odd issue on a users Windows 10 pc. Basically the time and date on the screen displays odd symbols. It however does say the day...spells out Thursday perfectly. This is the screen before you log in. once logged in, when it goes into screen saver...
  7. Suddenly no numbers - only characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly no numbers - only characters: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (Brazilian Portuguese version) Today morning it was working fine. After a shutdown there is no numbers, only characters. Does someone has any idea what is going on? 148525
  8. PIN number for new Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN number for new Microsoft account: I'm trying to log into my Xbox Live account but it's asking me for a PIN number I never set, and the account I am logged into while doing this is a different email. I even tried creating a new account to log into, but the same issue came up. How can I access and change my PIN...
  9. Can't type in PIN number when logging back in to Lock Screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't type in PIN number when logging back in to Lock Screen: Hi everyone, occasionally when I return to my pc and want to log back in, I am not able to type any letters. I click into the log-in box but no characters are typed in. Whether it is the PIN or Password screen, no characters appear. To be clear, it does not do it every time,...
  10. Keyboard wont type numbers OR will only type numbers

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard wont type numbers OR will only type numbers: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Usually, numbers keys are present on two spots on a keyboard. One is at the number pad and the other of above the letters. You might face an issue where your laptop keyboard won’t type numbers. This could be with [...] This post Keyboard wont type numbers OR...