Windows 10: When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

Discus and support When did Windows add Mono Audio settings? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Reegan Dodd, May 21, 2024.

1. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help

:)

Reegan Dodd, May 21, 2024
  2. wb0gaz Win User

Mono audio (ease of access) plus Listen to Microphone (audio control)

I wish to have my Windows 10 (20H2) machine listen to microphone (relay audio from sound input device to sound output device) and be in Mono audio mode (combine left and right input sound streams and send the combined result to both left and right output sound stream) at start-up.

The "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to take effect until after an (any?) application using windows sound is started. The "listen to microphone" setting IS in effect at start-up (however, the audio flow is still stereo, which is not intended.)

Here is the step-by-step:

1. Start Windows 10, no audio-based application running
    2. Ease of Access > Audio > Turn on Mono
    3. Sound Control Panel > Recording > (double click on) Microphone > Listen > [x] Listen to this Device

4. Reboot.

5. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to be in effect (left and right audio channels are still distinct)

6. Start (any) windows sound application

7. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

8. Stop the windows sound application

9. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

Repeatable beginning at step 4.

I imagine this is not intended behavior, and I'm wondering if it's an oversight in Windows 10?

Thanks for any advice or attempts to duplicate this sequence.

Dave

wb0gaz, May 21, 2024
  3. dalchina Win User

I find that if I set mono, then restart, then test as I posted, it's mono.

This suggests another snaglet in 2004/20H2.

Another option for you might be to use the bat file in the tutorial and run that at startup.
    Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10

I've asked about 20H2 after that tutorial for you.
    Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10

dalchina, May 21, 2024
  4. wb0gaz Win User

When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

Thank you for the reply.

Would you be able to attempt replicate the step-by-step I posted, particularly observing for mono behavior after start-up, but before any application is running?

My posting did not include a test for mono status after operating the mono control panel setting; only that the mono status was not actually active after a reboot, when it should be.

Upon first reboot after the settings change, the audio channels are not merged, as I can verify that the channels are independent (I feed audio source only from "left", and the output is only in "left" ("right" is silent input, silent output), even when Mono setting is applied). Once an application runs after start-up, the audio source feeding only "left" input is now observed on both "left" and "right" outputs.

Thank you again for any assistance, or any advice where I can proceed.

Dave

wb0gaz, May 21, 2024
Thema:

When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

1. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings? - Similar Threads - did add Mono

2. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?: I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-did-windows-add-mono-audio-settings/4eeef0ce-a612-4b3c-8547-139ad46c9c99
  3. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?: I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-did-windows-add-mono-audio-settings/4eeef0ce-a612-4b3c-8547-139ad46c9c99
  4. How to enable mono microphone audio in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable mono microphone audio in Windows 10: Hello, I'm having an issue where my microphone audio only comes from one side. Since I have a single channel microphone, I need to set it to mono audio in the windows settings to fix it, but in the Change system sound>Recording>Properties>Advanced dropdown menu it only shows...
  5. Make audio output mono

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make audio output mono: [ATTACH] How do I make it so that the audio output is mono? https://preview.redd.it/bwmy6couaq961.png?width=242&format=png&auto=webp&s=9af7afeb2da85abe6a1eaa038603f8e7926f984e submitted by /u/36_foxtrot [link] [comments]...
  6. Mono audio troubles

Mono audio troubles: Hi, I’ve been having some problems with the audio in my pc... it seems as though no matter what I do it’s always mono audio. The mono audio setting is off and the realtek audio console is no help to this issue at all. When I turn my main volume slider in the Realtek console...
  7. Some videos only play audio if mono audio is turn on

Some videos only play audio if mono audio is turn on: Starting a few days ago some videos on youtube and twitter would not play any audio at all, however my volume mixer would act as if they were playing audio even though no sound was coming out of my headset. After some messing around I discovered that the muted videos would...
  8. Can't Record Mono Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Record Mono Audio: Hello! I'll try and make this short. I'm trying to record mono audio from my microphone, but it only records the left I did the following: I went to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > and then I chose the microphone I'm using. When I select it and...
  9. Headphones only outputting audio in mono

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones only outputting audio in mono: Hello, I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way as well....
  10. Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 15025, people with partial hearing loss or deafness in one ear can turn on mono audio to have Windows play audio from both the left and right...