Windows 10: When does ram usage increase?

Discus and support When does ram usage increase? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows is using more memory than you think. The memory gauge doesn't show full memory usage. It was never meant to. If it did the value would be very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018.

1. LMiller7 Win User

When does ram usage increase?

Windows is using more memory than you think. The memory gauge doesn't show full memory usage. It was never meant to. If it did the value would be very high on most systems most of the time and that would be neither interesting or useful.

To see full memory usage you need to look at Resource Monitor, in particular the values for "Free" and "Standby". All memory not labeled as Free is in use in some way. Standby memory (very large, as it should be, on most systems) is very much in use. It serves as a type of system wide cache and is a major contributor to good performance. And like free memory it is also available to any application that needs it. It is not a contradiction that memory can be both in use and available.

In most cases Windows does a very good job of managing memory. This was true in the early days of the NT platform and is even more true today.

RAM drives are usually a poor use of memory. Modern operating systems have a sophisticated caching system that provides most of the benefits with fewer problems. They may improve some aspect of performance but it will cost you elsewhere.

Memory management in any modern OS is very complex and difficult to understand, and very easy to have misconceptions about. I am a firm believer in letting the OS manage memory as it wishes. In the vast majority of cases it will do a far better job than you could hope to do yourself. People who think otherwise are only fooling themselves.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018

2. I have an HP pavilion dv7 laptop that I've increased the ram from 4G to 8G, now running win10-64. Ram usage is 25%.... 2G used out of 8G. I dont think I've ever seen it increase much. Mostly used for internet, email and microcontroller c compiling . CPU is 2 cores, 2G clock. Have a 466G drive 7200 rpm, 8M cache. Is there some registry tweak to use more ram for disk cache? Like there is for swap file size? Next speedemup tweak might be bigger drive with more cache? Is there a ramdisk benchmark that would show improved compile speed after applying tweaks? I have read many msgs in the forum about trying to minimize ram use for whatever misguided purpose, so here I am trying to tell the os to use more if it will speed some things up. Thanks.

:)

bobgardner, Apr 25, 2018
  3. knute97 Win User
    Task Manager RAM Usage

My computer is running 64 bit Windows 10 with 6 GB of RAM.

I have been monitoring my memory usage via Task Manager and occasionally download tasklist via the cmd line.

What has been bothering me is that my RAM usage at reboot starts at 34%, and left alone, increases to ~75-80% without running any programs.
    (I do have start up programs including McAfee, Dropbox, Seagate console, gadgets, etc.)

When I analyze the tasklist download file via Excel, the total RAM memory usage is approximately 3.1 GB at 79%.
    Doing the math, this means there is only 4 GB in use?

I have 2 questions:

1. Does Task Manager list all the RAM usage or is there some background usage that is not shown.?

2. Is there any other way to monitor RAM leakage?

knute97, Apr 25, 2018
  4. When does ram usage increase?

RAM PROBLEM IN MY X6

RAM is memory not software .

A firmware update does not increase a mechanical object . It may improve usage of RAM or even require more RAM than an older version .

jje

jjegan---01, Apr 25, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    What do you see in Task Manager performance tab?

When does ram usage increase? [​IMG]

Here I have 8GB, 4.8GB is in use, 2.6GB cached (not in use but waiting in case it is needed) and only 463MB is free. Windows will use cache to hold programs/data if it doesn't need it for anything else. If you are seeing cached (called "Standby" if you hover your mouse over it in Task Manager) then your RAM is being used.

Perhaps you could upload a picture of this screen...

Whether second guessing Windows memory management by forcing specific things into RAM would be an advantage I don't know. You would need to know better than Windows what was required, load it manually and then this RAM would be unavailable for other purposes.

6. Barman58 Win User
    All the tests that I've seen over the years since the days of XP, that are not done to sell some sort of wonderful RAM, (Snake Oil), management tool, have shown that the best way to get the best out of ram is to use the system provided in the OS , the people who designed the memory management in Modern windows know more about Windows memory management, than anyone else.

Remember that the worst use of RAM is to have it doing nothing, unused,

Windows will use spare ram for it's own tasks but release it before it's needed.

Also, the speed of the modern hard drives (especially SSD), mean that the use of RAM drives, when you consider the overhead to run them are no longer efficient enough to make them worthwhile

Barman58, Apr 25, 2018
Thema:

When does ram usage increase?

1. When does ram usage increase? - Similar Threads - does ram usage

2. Does increasing Dedicating Video RAM increase usage of my pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does increasing Dedicating Video RAM increase usage of my pc?: I've seen this in dxdiag, Is this bad? Like the VRAM is 128MB while the total is a whole different amount. And does this mean increasing dedicated video RAM even increases the usage of my intel graphics and heat the pc? Please Help!...
  3. Does increasing Dedicating Video RAM increase usage of my pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does increasing Dedicating Video RAM increase usage of my pc?: I've seen this in dxdiag, Is this bad? Like the VRAM is 128MB while the total is a whole different amount. And does this mean increasing dedicated video RAM even increases the usage of my intel graphics and heat the pc? Please Help!...
  4. Does increasing Dedicating Video RAM increase usage of my pc?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. desktop windows manager steadily increasing RAM usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop windows manager steadily increasing RAM usage: When I boot up my computer DWM will be at around 50-60 mb even with multiple windows open. It steadily increases the entire time I use the computer, the only thing that will get it to go back down is resetting my pc. I've rolled back my graphics card drivers, I've updated my...
  6. DWM RAM Usage Increases while using Teams

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM RAM Usage Increases while using Teams: I have school classes in the morning for about 5 to 6 hours, during this period I can see the RAM usage of DWM increases to 1 to 1.5GB which is very unusual. I have to restart my laptop after the classes are over to see the RAM usage to have dropped significantly. I guess...
  7. Increasing RAM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Increasing RAM: I have a lumia 950, is there a way to increase ram from 3 to 8? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increasing-ram/0ec73083-aec0-422e-b95f-b05f60f85e21
  8. Increase RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase RAM: Hello my Son connects to a server, which asks him to allocate RAM, his laptop does t have much, is there a way of using the SSD as virtual RAM which would be acceptable to the server ? thanks 154126
  9. Sudden increase in ram usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden increase in ram usage: Before yesterday my idle usage of ram was about 25% wich is pretty normal but last night I tried to download a movie via uTorrent but it didn't end up working. But since then my idle usage has been doubled. Anybody knows what causes this? Does it have anything to do with that...
  10. Increase the Ram

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Increase the Ram: Can I increase my laptop ram? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-the-ram/543b890a-ddbe-4a8a-839f-1234841ada8b