Windows 10: When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?

Discus and support When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Through ProcessHacker, I can see that SettingSyncHost.exe (Host Process for Settings Synchronization) loads Shell extensions from OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clasick_, Nov 4, 2019.

1. clasick_ Win User

When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?

Through ProcessHacker, I can see that SettingSyncHost.exe (Host Process for Settings Synchronization) loads Shell extensions from OneDrive (FileSyncShell64.dll), MEGAsync (ShellExtX64.dll), IDM (IDMShellExt64.dll), etc.

For debugging a scenario, I'm trying to have SettingSyncHost.exe load shell extensions but I can't find the flow for which it happens. Is there a file chooser dialog associated with SettingSyncHost.exe that can be opened somewhere or any other scenario that loads these DLLs?

Thanks.

:)

clasick_, Nov 4, 2019
  2. Peggsie Win User
    Peggsie, Nov 4, 2019
  3. DanH12 Win User
    How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

So I've just installed WinRAR (an x86 application) on my shiny new Yoga C630 ARM64 laptop and was very surprised to find out that the explorer shell extension (the one that adds the compress context menu options on right click) actually works.

Now I have to say that I'm really curious - how is that even possible? Shell extensions are DLL files loaded by explorer.exe and as far as I know WoW64 is process-wide - a native ARM64 process shouldn't be able to load an x86 DLL (or vice-versa). Even on
    x64 you can't load 32-bit code into a 64-bit process.

... and yet it still works. What's the magic here? Does the ARM64 version of explorer.exe have its own mini WoW64 layer just for shell extensions? Also, if that is the case is there any performance impact on the explorer shell and/or battery life?

DanH12, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Peggsie Win User

Peggsie, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

1. When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions? - Similar Threads - does SettingSyncHost exe

2. Windows 11 Error Loading Extension failed to load extension from:...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Error Loading Extension failed to load extension from:...: For a few weeks now, I have been receiving this message when I Start my PC which is running Windows 11. Error Loading Extension - Failed to load extension from: C:/WINDOWS\system32\tower_main. Manifest file is missing or unreadable. How do I fix this?...
  3. EXE FILE EXTENSION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EXE FILE EXTENSION: Guys I was curious to know how to sole a silly issue that I encountered with while manipulating the registry keys. So the issue is I accidentally changed the .exe file extension to ask me an option to Open with. Forget about installing an app with .exe or or opening a...
  4. exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command: cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator I posted about it a long time ago, but I've never been able to run anything without an .exe. . . . *Huh [img] Power Shell works just fine with out an .exe, though. . . ? . 172679
  5. shell extension for Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    shell extension for Explorer: Does Windows Explorer have some shell extension available which adds a function to File Properties that would display the "Comments" field for PSD image files in Windows 10? I am able to see this field in Windows 7 If so, how can I access this capability and install it?...
  6. Cannot download files with an EXE extension

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot download files with an EXE extension: This all started when I went to install Visual Studio 2019. I removed Visual Studio 2017, and cleaned out the folders left behind. When I went to install it, I could not download it with Chrome with Chrome reporting it as being blocked. I do not have "Safe Browsing"...
  7. exe extension

exe extension: Every time I turn my windows computer on two .exe file continuously pops up for approval to install. How do I get rid of this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-extension/120b8cd1-1b35-438c-af1b-7316361b17bc
  8. SettingSyncHost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SettingSyncHost: Hello. There was an update to this file on 4/19/2019 that is messing up my system. I keep getting a pop up asking me to "Save a Theme" and it will not allow me exit out of it safely. Please tell me what this is. Thanks....
  9. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection: Good afternoon all. Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct? Windows Explorer...
  10. Drag and drop shell extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop shell extension: Hello everybody, does anybody know how to remove the "create shortcuts here" context-entry when dragging-dropping files with right mouse button? Thanks, Marco 31783