Windows 10: When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and...

Discus and support When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When PE Files exes, dlls etc. are code signed using signtool, they can be verified to check if they have been authored by trusted publishers. In which... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SaswatOnXPS, Jul 24, 2020.

1. When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and...

When PE Files exes, dlls etc. are code signed using signtool, they can be verified to check if they have been authored by trusted publishers. In which scenarios does the Operating system actually verify signed EXEs and DLLs?

1. Are signatures of EXEs verified every time they are run?
    2. If an EXE has a dynamically linked DLL, is the DLL's signature verified when the EXE is run?
    3. If the EXE dynamically loads a DLL using LoadLibrary, is the DLL's signature verified when the EXE is run?
    4. When an EXE requires elevated privilege UAC, is the signature of the EXE and the DLL dependencies verified as well? 1-3

If this questions belongs in a different category or community, please let me know. Thanks.

:)

SaswatOnXPS, Jul 24, 2020

2. When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and signed DLLs?

When PE Files (exes, dlls etc.) are code signed using signtool, they can be verified to check if they have been authored by trusted publishers. In which scenarios does the Operating system actually verify signed EXEs and DLLs?

1. Are signatures of EXEs verified every time they are run?
    2. If an EXE has a dynamically linked DLL, is the DLL's signature verified when the EXE is run?
    3. If the EXE dynamically loads a DLL using LoadLibrary, is the DLL's signature verified when the EXE is run?
    4. When an EXE requires elevated privilege (UAC), is the signature of the EXE and the DLL dependencies verified as well? (1-3)
    If this questions belongs in a different category or community, please let me know. Thanks.

SaswatOnXPS, Jul 29, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Authenticode cert

Authenticode is a Microsoft technology used to verify the identity of software publishers. In a larger sense, it's a way to verify that software comes from a trusted developer.

There are details missing from your question that I'll try to supply. Sorry if I'm wrong.

There is an application that you (or perhaps someone else) are trying to install on your computer. The installation won't proceed or failed altogether.

The problem is that the security certificate which the software presented for approval, which was signed with Authenticode, has expired. That means Windows cannot trust the software code, because it can't prove the identity of the software developer. Operating
    systems (not only Windows) are designed to stop such applications from installing.

The kindest reason for that happening is that you're trying to install old and/or discontinued software. A less kind reason is that you are unwittingly trying to install stolen or malicious software.

The solution in any case is to find an up-to-date version of the software from the original developer that has a valid security certificate.

BulldogXX, Jul 29, 2020
  4. When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and...

Error code:0xc0000428. Operating system couldn't be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified

the operating system couldn't be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified

Moved from Insider

Original title: Error code:0xc0000428

Seif Tamer, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and...

1. When does the Operating system verify the Authenticode Signatures for signed EXEs and... - Similar Threads - does Operating system

2. The operating system does not start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The operating system does not start: After my son changed something in the BIOS, the computer says when booting: Reboot and select proper boot device. I checked that all storages are connected and the system boot priority is correct. I tried resetting the BIOS settings but it didn't help. I think that I need to...
  3. The operating system does not start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The operating system does not start: After my son changed something in the BIOS, the computer says when booting: Reboot and select proper boot device. I checked that all storages are connected and the system boot priority is correct. I tried resetting the BIOS settings but it didn't help. I think that I need to...
  4. The operating system does not start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed to verify digital signature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to verify digital signature: I am facing below issue please suggest me for the .sfc /scannow is done.windows update also done.How to fix the issue . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-verify-digital-signature/0a4dab46-487b-48b1-84fd-1b82b00af75e
  6. Failed to verify digital signature

Failed to verify digital signature: I am facing below issue please suggest me for the .sfc /scannow is done.windows update also done.How to fix the issue . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-verify-digital-signature/0a4dab46-487b-48b1-84fd-1b82b00af75e
  7. usbvideo.inf: Signature cannot be verified.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usbvideo.inf: Signature cannot be verified.: I am trying to get a USB webcam to work for our CIO's laptop. The webcam was previously working but now isn't.The webcam should work just with the generic Microsoft drivers, and it does on my machine. Both machines are pretty freshly deployed. The issue with the non-working...
  8. usbvideo.inf: Signature cannot be verified.

usbvideo.inf: Signature cannot be verified.: I am trying to get a USB webcam to work for our CIO's laptop. The webcam was previously working but now isn't.The webcam should work just with the generic Microsoft drivers, and it does on my machine. Both machines are pretty freshly deployed. The issue with the non-working...
  9. Error: Failed to verify signature

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error: Failed to verify signature: Hello, I just recently update my windows pro last week update 2004 Ever since then windows keep showing annoying message "Error: Failed to verify signature" [ATTACH] I realized it often pop up when I click on Windows File Explorer on my task bar. Can one help...?...
  10. Authenticode cert

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Authenticode cert: My tech support is running security check and finding Authenticodetm Root certificate expiration.What is this, is this legit, why would it expire, and what are my options?...