Windows 10: When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

Discus and support When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not sure if this is really intended or not. But its probably not since I know the basics of a Graphical User Interface. I would just like to ask... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jacobdnghl, Apr 6, 2019.

1. When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

I am not sure if this is really intended or not. But its probably not since I know the basics of a Graphical User Interface.

I would just like to ask a question, whenever I drag items (specifically an executable) to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

The executable files were installation files for software like Chrome, VLC, a Graphics driver, and WinRAR. I select all of them and whenever I try to place these files to a folder, it seemingly creates a shortcut.

Now, when I try to place the Graphics driver alone to the folder, it works normally as intended. But for the other exe files, it just creates a shortcut.

When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. 8269f685-6e64-48cf-aa61-939007a7c18f?upload=true.png When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. 58bcadcb-4d08-415e-8127-a8307bd1b029?upload=true.png When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. 3fe80e49-6d22-48c2-b387-6e5a6452b882?upload=true.png

I know this isn't really a problem to ask for the community and would probably be a waste of time but yes, its irritating that I have never encountered such weirdness for the past 9-10 years of using Windows ever since XP.

:)

jacobdnghl, Apr 6, 2019
  2. RonZajac Win User

"Create Shortcut" to a folder on a USB drive not working

This is a Windows 10 system... up to date.

I have a preferred process for creating new shortcuts pointing to key folders here and there in my system:

- Right-click on the folder

- Select "Create Shortcut"

- Left-click on the created shortcut, to select it

- Ctrl-X

- Click on folder window to create focus where I'd like to place the shortcut

- Ctrl-V

- Touch up the name on that new shortcut

This no longer works: The second step (above)--the "Create Shortcut" menu item--simply doesn't create a shortcut.

I recall the function used to work like this.

My current workaround: I just copy/paste an existing shortcut, then tweak the Properties (pointing to the desired location) and the name.

But I'm curious why my right-click "Create Shortcut" menu item now does nothing. I swear: It used to work, as one would expect!

RonZajac, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

1. When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. - Similar Threads - dragging items folder

2. Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar: Why in the hell did windows do away with this feature? Instead of a folder there is an icon of a monitor. I am unable to click on the monitor and drag it into the contents of the folder to create a shortcut....
  3. Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar: Why in the hell did windows do away with this feature? Instead of a folder there is an icon of a monitor. I am unable to click on the monitor and drag it into the contents of the folder to create a shortcut....
  4. Can not create folder using shortcut

Can not create folder using shortcut: Hello,I am using windows 10 pro and I can not create folder using its shortcut Ctrl+shift+n I can create folders using mouse right click but using shortcut is much easier my keyboard is working properly and my window is updated as well would be happy to hear your...
  5. Dragging items in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dragging items in taskbar: In windows 11, dragging pics , docs to browser or other window is disabled. Is there any particular reason for it. If its a problem from my side , how can i rectify it. Or when will it be back in upcoming software updates???...
  6. No able to Drag items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No able to Drag items: Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 21H2 Installed on ‎9/‎18/‎2021 OS build 22000.194 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0 Device name SeriousBlack Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.44...
  7. No able to Drag items

No able to Drag items: Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 21H2 Installed on ‎9/‎18/‎2021 OS build 22000.194 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0 Device name SeriousBlack Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.44...
  8. Files or shortcut delete when dragged

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files or shortcut delete when dragged: Whenever I drag a file, folder or application saved in desktop or library, it is automatically sent to the recycle bin, I would like to ask if this a system-specific error or just a general changeable windows 10 error....
  9. Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping

in Windows 10 Support
    Items not showing on desktop when dragging and dropping: If I drag and drop an item to the desktop as the last item (see the attached pictures for an example of what I mean) it will not show up on the desktop, I don't even get that little white line showing where the item is going to be placed and regardless of what I do I can't...
  10. Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Recent items is a list of the files that you have used or opened recently. These items are displayed as "Recent files" in Quick access, and under...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dragging items into folders without creating links