Windows 10: When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

Discus and support When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; What the title says. It's an MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop, running Windows 10 Pro. I disabled this option so that a the touchpad is disabled when I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Xharos, Mar 11, 2020.

1. /u/Xharos Win User

When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

What the title says. It's an MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop, running Windows 10 Pro. I disabled this option so that a the touchpad is disabled when I have an USB mouse connected, but the thing is that it's disabled even when a mouse isn't present? I booted up my laptop today in class and the touchpad was disabled, with no USB mouse present at all. I plugged my USB mouse in and unplugged it again, and it still was disabled. I went to settings and re-enabled the option and now the touchpad works again, but it's always on of course (unless I manually disable it with the key combo). Any ideas?

If I can't get this working then I guess I'll just disable it manually when I connect a mouse, but having the option to automate it was pretty cool. When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables... :(

Btw, the touchpad uses the Windows Precision drivers.

submitted by /u/Xharos
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Xharos, Mar 11, 2020

2. disable touchpad

Hi James,

Touchpad is usually disabled and re-enabled by pressing the Fn and either
    F3 or F9 keys, but that depends on the laptop that you have. Each brand have its own shortcut keys. However, you can disable the touchpad from the Settings page. Follow these steps:

1. Open Settings > Devices.
    2. In the left pane, click Touchpad.
    3. To completely disable the touchpad, toggle off Touchpad.
    4. If you only want to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is connected, check the box for
      Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.

Let me know if you need further help so I can assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    disable touchpad

Hi Donna,

Disabling touchpad will depend on the make and model of your Laptop. Some models would have its own button that would allow you to disable/enable the touchpad from the keyboard. Other models would also have settings from its own driver software that would
    allow you to toggle it on/off. Since you've mentioned that your laptop is Dell, may we know the specific model?

However, if you have other pointing device to connect on your laptop (like a mouse), you can disable the touchpad through Windows settings by following these steps:

• On your keyboard, press Windows + I.
    • Click Devices.
    • Choose Touchpad.
    • Uncheck Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected.

After performing the steps above, your touchpad will be disabled until you disconnect the other pointing device.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

Ralph Sta, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

Disable touchpad

Hi,

Normally, you can disable the touchpad from Device Manager by follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right-click on HID-compliant mouse and select Disable.
    • Click Yes.
    • Check if the touchpad is already disabled.

You can also contact the device manufacturer for further assistance if touchpad cannot be disabled.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables... - Similar Threads - enable touchpad despite

2. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  3. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  4. Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to disable touchpad when using mouse.: Why did Microsoft not allow touchpad to be disabled when using mouse? It is so idiotic!!! It is very frustrating. I will have to cover the touchpad with hard plastic or cardboard so as not to accidentally move the cursor....
  5. How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected

How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected: I am using Windows 10 Pro, build 20H2. I have attempted the following code to disable the touchpad when a mouse is detected, but it seems to not be working. I have restarted the computer after applying, and does not take effect. Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in...
  6. mouse not disabling touchpad

mouse not disabling touchpad: mouse not disabling touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-not-disabling-touchpad/1e36e4be-29f9-416e-b35b-679cbf16f790
  7. Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected: All the sudden, the touchpad of my HP Spectre laptop is not being disabled when I connect a mouse to it. And I can't find the disabling button in Setting anymore. How can I fix it?...
  8. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  9. Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed

Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed: If I remove my mouse for my laptop the touch pad is disabled. I have it enabled in device manager, but I have the option for it to be turned off when a mouse is connected. If I turn off the feature of having the touch pad disabled when a mouse is connected, disconnecting the...
  10. Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows How to Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable on demand. The...