Windows 10: When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI

Discus and support When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I always use ethernet connection to access internet. Whenever my ethernet is down, I connect to wireless but I can't access internet right away, I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aditya_M, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Aditya_M Win User

When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI

I always use ethernet connection to access internet. Whenever my ethernet is down, I connect to wireless but I can't access internet right away, I've to disable the ethernet adapter to access internet wirelessly. Can it be done without having to disable ethernet adapter? Also, can I automatically switch to any active networkethernet or wireless when any one is down?

:)

Aditya_M, Jul 21, 2021
  2. mlg63 Win User

Wifi disconnects when ethernet plugs in

That is normal. WiFi is not needed if ethernet is plugged into the router and wifi does not share the ethernet connection. No ethernet cable is required on a wireless network with a wireless router. Wifi is accessed automatically by connecting to the router
    by all computers and devices on the network. Disconnect the ethernet cable
    from the computer
    and it should find the wifi. Other computers use the wifi without any help from the main computer. If you have a printer connected, make sure it is connected to the wifi router wirelessly or by cable connected to the router and not an
    individual computer. Get more info about that and setting up a wireless network. Your wireless router maker's support site is a good place to start.

mlg63, Jul 21, 2021
  3. Wifi disconnects when ethernet plugs in

This is not helpful. I need Ethernet cable plugged in, so I can bridge the connection and "give" wi-fi to my other computer that doesn't have wifi

DenisProtopopov, Jul 21, 2021
  4. When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI

laptop can't find wifi but connects with ethernet cable

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

1. Make sure the router SSID broadcast is on.
    2. Change the wifi channel to see if it resolves the problem.
    3. Enter the SSID and WPA2 password manually and see if the laptop connects.
    4. Temporarily turn off the encryption.
    5. We go into device manager & check updates for wifi drivers, we may need to simply update the driver.
    6. We go to Settings - Network & Internet - Status - Change Adapter Options, then right-clicked 'Ethernet' and disabled it. We do the same with wifi. Then we (with Ethernet still disabled) enabled wifi. It should re-connect to your wifi after a while.
    7. We have to disconnect our Ethernet cable from our laptop and follow the steps:
      Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the wifi networks.
      Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, we will be asked to give a password for our wifi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to our wifi network via wireless.
    8. First is to disconnect the internet cable from the laptop then uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
      Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
      Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
      After the reboot do try connecting to your wireless network again.
      If all these will not work, do also make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled. Depending the model of your laptop there should be key combinations on how to enable/disable it.

Daisy Zhou, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI

1. When ethernet is disconnected my computer doesn't automatically connects to WIFI - Similar Threads - ethernet disconnected computer

2. WIFI doesn't connect automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIFI doesn't connect automatically.: Hi Team, after changing to a higher speed router, WIFI doesn't connect automatically, and I need to connect manually every time even after requesting to connect automatically and even after restart or after few minutes. when my laptop in idle....
  3. WIFI doesn't connect automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI doesn't connect automatically.: Hi Team, after changing to a higher speed router, WIFI doesn't connect automatically, and I need to connect manually every time even after requesting to connect automatically and even after restart or after few minutes. when my laptop in idle....
  4. WiFi connection doesn't disconnect when ethernet is plugged in/enabled - Resulting in dual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi connection doesn't disconnect when ethernet is plugged in/enabled - Resulting in dual...: I have a Dell Precision 5570 laptop along with a Dell WD19TBS docker - It has Windows 11 with latest Windows updates.The Dell WD19TBS docker comes with an ethernet port. I have the latest docker firmware and docker ethernet driver installed for it from the Dell website.I have...
  5. WiFi connection doesn't disconnect when ethernet is plugged in/enabled - Resulting in dual...

WiFi connection doesn't disconnect when ethernet is plugged in/enabled - Resulting in dual...: I have a Dell Precision 5570 laptop along with a Dell WD19TBS docker - It has Windows 11 with latest Windows updates.The Dell WD19TBS docker comes with an ethernet port. I have the latest docker firmware and docker ethernet driver installed for it from the Dell website.I have...
  6. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting: Hi all,I am trying to use Windows to bridge my wifi connection to non wifi devices. I have successfully setup the bridge in Network Connections. However, the wifi only stays connected for a few seconds before it disconnects everything is working as expected, with wired...
  7. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting: Hi all,I am trying to use Windows to bridge my wifi connection to non wifi devices. I have successfully setup the bridge in Network Connections. However, the wifi only stays connected for a few seconds before it disconnects everything is working as expected, with wired...
  8. Wifi disconnects and doesn't automatically reconnect

Wifi disconnects and doesn't automatically reconnect: Because of the low Wi-Fi bandwidth and with full bars in the start screen, the Wi-Fi disconnects the network. After several minutes without an internet connection, it doesn't automatically reconnect. The Wi-Fi that I connected were checked that automatically reconnect after a...
  9. Ethernet-Connection doesn't start automatically

Ethernet-Connection doesn't start automatically: I came back from a three-week absence, after installing some windows-updates my Desktop PC won't connect through the Ethernet-Cable connection automatically as it usual did. I can connect by starting my WIFI in that Desktop, but I prefer the Ethernet connection…. I have to...
  10. WiFi disconnects when ethernet is plugged in

WiFi disconnects when ethernet is plugged in: Hello, we have problem on Windows 10. When we connect ethernet cable, the WiFi automatically disable WiFi adapter. We checked BIOS, properities of adapters, check presence of third party programs and nothing is set wrong to do that. It started doing after Windows 10 update on...