Windows 10: When Explorer opens the compressed packet, it becomes slow.

Discus and support When Explorer opens the compressed packet, it becomes slow. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It has plagued me for a long time since win10. j6D5OMPJhic 119589 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by he852100, Oct 10, 2018.

1. he852100 Win User

When Explorer opens the compressed packet, it becomes slow.

It has plagued me for a long time since win10.
    [youtube]j6D5OMPJhic[/youtube]

:)

he852100, Oct 10, 2018
  2. HDVIDTech Win User

Explorer Opens slow

I have tried the steps listed below. Method 2 and pinned it to the task bar. This helps it open faster but when it opens then the open window are grouped away from the icon on the task bar. I have to have two explorer folders pinned to the task bar to
    have a fast opening Explorer and grouped windows together.

When I do "open file location" the original one shows it is on the desktop, but it is not there. The other one I created tracks back to the C:\ drive location as it was created. Just kind of weird that one is referencing the Desktop when it is not there.
    Maybe hidden but still kind of odd.

How can I make it where I only have one Explorer that is both fast to open and the only one on the task bar?

Method 1: Rebuild your search index.

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Method 2: Create a File Explorer shortcut on your desktop.

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click with the mouse.
    • Select New > Shortcut.
    • Type explorer.exe in the Location box.
    • Click on Next button.
    • Click on Finish button. You should now have a shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click the new shortcut, and select Properties.
    • Under Target line, change it to (note the space between C:\Windows\explorer.exe and /n):

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n
    • Click the OK button. Now you can double-click it like your regular File Explorer app.

Method 3: Reset the File Explorer view to the default settings across all your folders.

• Launch File Explorer, click the File menu, and select Change folder and search options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Under Folder views, click on Reset Folders.
    • Click the OK button.

Let us know if any of the suggestions helped.

HDVIDTech, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Oct 10, 2018
  4. andrekish Win User

Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help.

Hello - there's solution posted here - but cannot say if it works totally yet though but it has helped me just now. Hope it helps you too. Save any work open first, before you do this.

Taken from site at this board - Solved File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files - Windows 10 Forums

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

-- Your system will need a restart when it reconfigures itself so save any work first. I tried this myself and it ran slow first time while it indexed slow directories - then after I closed file explorer and reloaded it it ran fast on slow directories. I hope it helps you. Best of luck and best wishes.

andrekish, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

1. When Explorer opens the compressed packet, it becomes slow. - Similar Threads - Explorer opens compressed

2. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  3. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  4. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer slow to open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer slow to open: I have Windows 10 and File Explorer is slow to open. It takes over a minute to open. Once it opens it runs fine. I'm not sure why it is so slow to open and not sure what to check....
  6. Sluggish Explorer when opening zip "compressed folders"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sluggish Explorer when opening zip "compressed folders": I'm having this persisting issue where Explorer becomes very slow when I open a zip file with it. It's been going on for some time now. Memory usage of the Explorer process stays normal, and CPU doesn't spike. Still it has even gotten so bad that Explorer crashed altogether....
  7. Windows 10 slowness at login and when opening explorer

Windows 10 slowness at login and when opening explorer: We have windows 10 1903 laptops that are always connected to the internet via cell cards. They are extremely slow to login and slow to access explorer when we have the connection active, when the connection is turned off that slowness is immediately gone. I have verbose...
  8. Pictures Compressed When Viewed/Accessed in File Explorer.

Pictures Compressed When Viewed/Accessed in File Explorer.: I have a WD MyCloud network drive for mass storage. I noticed that when photos stored on the drive are accessed via Windows File Manager, they are very compressed (one-tenth or less of original size). However, when accessed via the WD file management software, the original...
  9. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...
  10. Window becomes really slow when opening a save as window.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Window becomes really slow when opening a save as window.: I am not sure how to explain this, Up until last week, whenever I download something and save as to a folder, it becomes really slow and my brower freezes for 1 minute ish. I checked my processor and ntoskrnl.exe is the program thats taking most of the physical memory. I...