Windows 10: When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded

Discus and support When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I edit photos and save them to a folder; I save them sorted by "date modified" in descending order, so the newest ones are at the top. When I upload... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rpair, Aug 6, 2019.

1. rpair Win User

When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded

I edit photos and save them to a folder; I save them sorted by "date modified" in descending order, so the newest ones are at the top. When I upload them to a photo site, I cut-and-paste them into a subfolder. Until recently, these were saved in the subfolder in descending order of date added to the subfolder.
    Then I got an automatic Windows-10 update. The main folder stayed the same; but in the subfolder, the photos are now sorted by last time they were photo-edited.
    I cannot find a date field to sort on to get them sorted by date added to the subfolder.
    Can anyone help?

:)

rpair, Aug 6, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create multiple folders of same name with progressive dates, I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you.

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where you want the folders to be created.
    • On the address bar, where the folder path is displayed, erase the folder path and type
      CMD to open a Command Prompt window.
    • Once the Command Prompt window opens, copy paste the following command and hit Enter:

for %d in (2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.18 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.19 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.20 Job Progress Pics, etc) do mkdir %d

Note:

Replace ‘etc’ with rest of the dates for the month. (Eg: ‘2019.6.X Job Progress Pics’ where X is the date)

• Exit Command Prompt and see if multiple folders are created with the progressive dates on the preferred location.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 6, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Aug 6, 2019
  4. When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded

Windows 10 How to change “New Folder” default name for folders in explorer to current date and time?

Before you begin you must change the Windows System date format under Regional Settings in Control Panel. You cannot use / in the date format since this is an invalid character for folder names. Change the / to – in the date format. You cannot skip this step. Your date format must contain valid characters for folder names.

1. Go to registry editor using the regedit command.
    2. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell.
    3. Make a new key New Folder.
    4. Inside this key, create another key command.
    5. Type the following value for the key inside it (edit the (Default) item's data): cmd.exe /c md "%1/%%DATE%%"
    6. Save and exit Registry Editor.

Now, to create the folders, instead of clicking New > Folder, instead use the context item New Folder. This runs the command script defined in step 5, which creates a new folder with the current date.

You will now have a folder with default name as the current date instead of "New Folder".

Joseph George William, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded

1. When file is "pasted" into a new folder, which date is recorded - Similar Threads - file pasted folder

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. How To Check Which Files Opened In The Past

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How To Check Which Files Opened In The Past: I don't know if the title explains it but I need to see a date of a few files on my desktop. I think a family member of mine read some things he shouldn't read. Is there a history section that shows file/application opening dates? If you know please let me know. Thanks....
  5. File and folder dates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and folder dates: I have recently started to have an issue on my Lenovo All-in-one with Windows-10 using a NAS drive Buffalo. If I create a new folder with File explorer on the NAS drive, it gets a date of 26/12/2007? if i create a file with notepad it gets that date as well. If I amend that...
  6. Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why doesn't windows preserve creation dates when cutting and pasting folders to another...: I'm moving all my backups to another drive, so I'm using this method to move them. And I noticed that the folders creation date is changing, but individual files are fine. submitted by /u/A_Random_Lantern [link] [comments]...
  7. Delay in 'new folder' creation and in copy-pasting files

Delay in 'new folder' creation and in copy-pasting files: I noticed this problem recently, perhaps after the latest update not sure . If I try to create a new folder in a directory, either by right-click>>New>>Folder or by clicking the 'New Folder' button, one of these things happen : 1. Nothing happens, the folder does not get...
  8. Dates recorded on photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dates recorded on photos: I find the dates available on photos, either via EXIF viewers or Windows Explorer, confusing as they often, to me, don't make sense. For example, using the latest version of Windows 10, I am looking at an image using Explorer Details view. I have set the details to display...
  9. Onedrive not sycing, but says it's up to date. And, when choosing which folder to sync in...

Onedrive not sycing, but says it's up to date. And, when choosing which folder to sync in...: There's a similar post about this, but unlike that user, it's been days for me with the same broken experience. Win 10 x64. I've signed out and in and reinstalled. My OneNote now appears wiped due to the same issue, which would be terrifying if not for being available...
  10. Reset Folder for Recorder .m4a Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset Folder for Recorder .m4a Files: How can you change the folder where .m4a files created with Recorder are saved? 90883

Users found this page by searching for:

1. getting date that folder was pasted to another