Windows 10: when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots

Discus and support when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; hi all i have been having a problem for about a year where after 5-10 minutes of me using a GPU intensive program it will restart the pc. once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by benjenr2, Jan 15, 2022.

1. benjenr2 Win User

when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots

hi all i have been having a problem for about a year where after 5-10 minutes of me using a GPU intensive program it will restart the pc. once restarted there will be no output from GPU but output from onboard graphics. i have replaced the GPU and power supply there is no way it is drawing to many watts. the temps are fine gpu never gets above 85 when stress tested adn cpu never above 50. the event viewer doesn't show me anything so im clueless.PC specs: cpu: AMD FX-4100NVIDIA: GTX titan black 6GBmotherboard: GA-78lmt-usb3Storage: 2x hard drive i theorise it could be a problem with the south b

:)

benjenr2, Jan 15, 2022
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Jan 15, 2022
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jan 15, 2022
  4. JoePerry Win User

Random crashes/reboots - PSU failling?

I'm concluding that's not a software issue but a hardware one, most likely being the PSU the culprit.

• Power supply in my area has always been very inconsistent in summer time, even experiencing several low voltage situations system wide, with surges making my PC to reboot automatically. Despite PSU's got it's own protection methods, exposing it to several days -and years overall- of unstable electric flow could've inflicted some damage on it. PSU is not near top of the line and it has 8 years of continuous usage (Sentey BRP700).

• I did have random, sporadic reboots over time on my system for a while, even while doing basic tasks (watching a YT video). None prove to be catastrophic until the other day.

• Since the "mayor crash" I experienced the other day while playing a game, that rendered my system unable to install AMD Drivers even on a fresh new copy of a clean Windows 10 , I did experience several random reboots using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter performing basic tasks;
      • At the time of the "mayor crash" I had latest AMD drivers installed and they were working just fine and no mayor Windows 10 updates were installed that day.

• Removing video card (AMD R7 265) and replacing it a Geforce GTS 540 for testing purposes also triggered random crashes and system's lock up (different behavior, but same result nonetheless = system crash). Even while using the Geforce the computer suffered TWO system crashes just by clicking on the "refresh" button on TechPowerUp GPU-Z app. Yet, the third, fourth, ... times I clicked refresh, system did not reboot.
      • Attachment 273658

• Weirdly enough FurMark stress on my CPU and the testing video card -Geforce GTS 540 with Nvidia drivers installed- didn't make my system crash. Yet, opening Chrome afterwards triggered a crash.
    I can't identify a system crash pattern.
    The only pattern is that when I try to install AMD drives for my R7 265 the system does crash. The rest of the reboots are random and not logical based on the system stress at the moment.

Despite inspecting the PSU -and computer in general- for failed capacitors, I really lack the know-how to effectively detect a bad one unless it's very obviously damaged.

Bottom line: I'm purchasing a new PC overall -time to upgrade anyways- and I expect this to solve my issue once and for all.

I really appreciate time invested in trying to help me, guys!

JoePerry, Jan 15, 2022
Thema:

1. when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots - Similar Threads - GPU stressed crashes

2. When GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots and starts running on integrated graphics

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots and starts running on integrated graphics: Hello there thanks for listening to my problem, my laptop specs:Acer aspire 7Ram 8gb built in + 8gb additionly installled gpu nvidia gtx 1650storage: 500gb ssdwindows 11So the problelm statred today monrnig. when i booted up my machine it wasn't detecting gpu so i checked in...
  3. When GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots and starts running on integrated graphics

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots and starts running on integrated graphics: Hello there thanks for listening to my problem, my laptop specs:Acer aspire 7Ram 8gb built in + 8gb additionly installled gpu nvidia gtx 1650storage: 500gb ssdwindows 11So the problelm statred today monrnig. when i booted up my machine it wasn't detecting gpu so i checked in...
  4. PC shutdown when userbenchmark.exe is running GPU stress test

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shutdown when userbenchmark.exe is running GPU stress test: I recently got a free 5-year-old workstation PC. The PC had OEM for Windows 8.1, I installed Windows 10. I was running userbenchmark.exe to see the performance of my PC. It runs fine until the 3D animations show up and it suddenly shut down my PC.I don't know the issue, I can...
  5. PC shutdown when userbenchmark.exe is running GPU stress test

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC shutdown when userbenchmark.exe is running GPU stress test: I recently got a free 5-year-old workstation PC. The PC had OEM for Windows 8.1, I installed Windows 10. I was running userbenchmark.exe to see the performance of my PC. It runs fine until the 3D animations show up and it suddenly shut down my PC.I don't know the issue, I can...
  6. PC shutdown when userbenchmark.exe is running GPU stress test

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots: hi all i have been having a problem for about a year where after 5-10 minutes of me using a GPU intensive program it will restart the pc. once restarted there will be no output from GPU but output from onboard graphics. i have replaced the GPU and power supply there is no way...
  8. BSOD when stressing gpu

BSOD when stressing gpu: Recently i have been getting BSOD while playing games So i stress tested my laptop gpu The Temperature is always 70-80 C But after a while i hear glitching in sounda And suddenly everything freezes and the BSOD appears Everything is updated drivers, windows, everything My...
  9. BSOD when playing game or stressing GPU

BSOD when playing game or stressing GPU: Hello guys, My pc works great. I can browse internet, watch movies etc. But when i play game after 5-10 min i got BSOD with lined screen and buzzing sound coming from my headphones. After crash with no error it force me to hard shutdown or reset. When i reset pc or shut it...
  10. FurMark - GPU Stress Test

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test: How to: FurMark - GPU Stress Test FurMark - GPU Stress Test [img] Information Furmark is an intensive OpenGL benchmark that uses fur rendering algorithms to measure the performance of the graphics card. BSOD analysts will recommend you use Furmark to test the...