Windows 10: When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation?

Discus and support When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In Windows XP and 7 it used to be possible to set up one account the original Administrator reasonably completely and then copy that profile to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JCW2, Jan 1, 2020.

1. JCW2 Win User

When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation?

In Windows XP and 7 it used to be possible to set up one account the original Administrator reasonably completely and then copy that profile to the Default User so that additional users added later would start with essentially the same configuration. Apparently this is no longer allowed in Windows 10. Are there any tricks to speed up configuration of additional user accounts in this case my own Standard User on this two-user machine, or is it now necessary to repeat the whole process for each account?

Related question: How do you tell which settings carry over to all users, and which are specific to the user account in which they are made? -- JCW2

:)

JCW2, Jan 1, 2020
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Can't add new user to windows 10

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Which troubleshooting steps are you referring to?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?

I would suggest you to delete all the user account apart from the one which you are able to log in with Admin rights. Install all pending Windows and driver updates.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience. Follow the steps below to create new user account and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Key + R".
    • Type “netplwiz”.
    • Click on Add and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jan 1, 2020
  4. When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation?

Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation?

1. When/How to Set Up Additional Users in New Win10 Installation? - Similar Threads - Set Additional Users

2. Setting up a used computer for a new user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a used computer for a new user: My father gave me his computer primarily for my son's use.He has it backed up to his OneDrive but doesn't want me to delete anything at this point, just in case.I need to make myself an administrator and create a user for my son that I can put time limits on.How do I do this?...
  3. setting up a user on a new computer for work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    setting up a user on a new computer for work: I am setting up a new computer for our small charity. We have MS 365... I wanted to set it up with one of the users we have through MS 365.... but Windows will not allow a work user to be the first user... so I set up with my personal account. I then went to add a work...
  4. Additional Soundpacks for Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Additional Soundpacks for Win10?: Do you know of additional sound packs for Win 10? I can't stand the default sounds coming with windows. Looking for some additional sound packs as it helps me to have something. Couldn't find anything online. submitted by /u/flycomusic [link] [comments]...
  5. How To Set Up The Lan on Win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Set Up The Lan on Win10?: I have enabled network discovery but still my computers cannot see each other. We have a wifi connection to the bnb router. That confuses me in config screens, too, because they show that as the connection and ask private or public? Well I'm thinking of the Lan, not the...
  6. Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting up an additional monitor to laptop: I am attempting to set up an additional monitor to my laptop for work so I can see two different screens at once. I hooked the new monitor up via an HDMI cord to the laptop, went to display in settings but it won't let me change anything. It keeps showing me the same thing...
  7. Setting up New User "Settings" problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting up New User "Settings" problem: I am trying to set up an account for my wife on my laptop in Windows 10. I go to "Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts" I click on "Add a new user in PC settings" This opens a window "Settings" Under "Home", I am supposed to "Find a setting" That's...
  8. How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?

How To Set Up User Accounts On First Installing?: I mean I've done it wrong. How to get it right. I just made a new win10 install on a new hard drive. And without thinking I gave my username as george - my son's name - and went ahead. Now he's an admin login. Which is no good. When I first realised I thought I'd...
  9. New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User

New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User: I had to give up on Upgrade and instead do a fresh installation. But I am STILL having problems. Cannot add a new user. When I click "Add another person to this PC" absolututely nothing happens. I assume this is not the intended behaviour. Seems to have happened a bit...
  10. Cannot set up new user

Cannot set up new user: I recently bought a Lenovo laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 10. Went through the set up process, using an admin login that was not a Microsoft account. Several folks need to use this computer and when I try to set up a new user, first I get a black box with nothing...