Windows 10: When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a...

Discus and support When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use shortcuts Ctrl+Number to switch between input languages. A week ago or so this feature was broken in a weird way - when I press Ctrl+Number and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by George Mont, Sep 25, 2020.

1. When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a...

I use shortcuts Ctrl+Number to switch between input languages. A week ago or so this feature was broken in a weird way - when I press Ctrl+Number and start typing, first symbol is that number used in shortcut regardless of key pressed even space. This works in all browsers, in Office apps but not in Windows apss like Notepad, explorer or Run dialog. I have shortcuts mapped from Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+4, so this bug appears only with these numbers, when I press Ctrl+5 nothing happens.

This appears on laptop and PC, both with Windows 10 and latest updates.

:)

George Mont, Sep 25, 2020
  2. Shemsu Win User

Shortcut Key for Language Input?

Hello,

So an older feature that you could use in the Control Panel through the clock/region/language settings was to set shortcuts for the language input on you computer's keyboard. This allowed me to shift through multiple languages by using combinations like
    Ctrl+Left_Alt+(number) to switch. So I would set it like 0 for English, 1 for Spanish, 3 for Japanese, and 5 for Greek. This was a really useful feature for multiple languages since it allowed you to change through a long list of inputs without going through
    the entire list via either clicking a language on the taskbar, or using the less useful shortcut to cycle through each language.

From other posts, it's to my understanding that Microsoft is gradually shifting the features of Control Panel to the general settings, allowing the features to not be fragmented on different interfaces. I'm very happy to hear about these changes, but it
    seems that this shortcut function has yet to be re-implemented.

I guess my first question is whether the feature still exists and has just been moved to a location I haven't found yet. If it has been deleted, I was wondering if there are any plans to replace it, or if there is any way I could produce my own shortcuts
    through either an alternative Windows service, or through a third-party application.

Lastly, a minor complaint I had with the original setting is that it always reset with every new Windows update. So after an update, I had to remap all of my language shortcuts. Note, this is on my personal laptop, so I don't think this is an issue with
    some administrative setting deleting any template (though I may be wrong). If it is (or will be) in the settings, I was hoping that my shortcuts would be saved through each update.

Thank you!

Shemsu, Sep 25, 2020
  3. resetting keyboard symbols

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove English UK and just have the default English US under keyboard input language and check.

Step 1:To keep English US as the default input language and to remove other installed services

a. Type Settings in the search bar and click on the setting symbol on the top right.

b. Click on Time and Languages.

c. Click on Region and Languages.

d. Under the languages tab.

e. Click and Change the language to English US.

Step 2:Use on screen keyboard to type the characters (@, “)

To use on-screen keyboard, follow the steps below.

a. Click on Start; type “On-screen” without quotes and hit Enter.

b. Now check if you’re able to get right characters.

Let us know if it helps or post back for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Sep 25, 2020
  4. When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a...

E72 - Change Input Language Shortcut

Hi All,

Is there any shortcut to change input language through the keypad insted of getting into the differnt manue levels?

Regards,

wmomran.

wmomran---01, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a...

1. When I change input language with Control+Number shortcut, first typed symbol is always a... - Similar Threads - change input language

2. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  3. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  4. Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers: Split from this thread.My number pad will not work online after Win 11 Update. It will type the symbols but not the numbers. Solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-pad-after-win-11-update-will-type-symbols/1de61884-1740-4c94-ba89-b6560281bd83
  5. Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number pad after Win 11 Update will type symbols but not the numbers: Split from this thread.My number pad will not work online after Win 11 Update. It will type the symbols but not the numbers. Solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-pad-after-win-11-update-will-type-symbols/1de61884-1740-4c94-ba89-b6560281bd83
  6. Keyboard shortcut to change language input not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard shortcut to change language input not working: I constantly change between Korean and English keyboard. So these are the ways to quickly change INPUT language of keyboard: 1. click the letter icon beside language bar in taskbar 2. press left Alt + Shift or windows logo + space I want the second one because it's...
  7. keyboard shortcuts input language

keyboard shortcuts input language: I set keyboard shortcuts input language in order to quickly change from one language to another in my keyboard. I set ctlr+uppercase+1 and ctlr+uppercase+2 for the two languages I use. The problem is that after a while, I do not know why exactly, these settings are gone!...
  8. Shortcut Key for Language Input?

Shortcut Key for Language Input?: Hello, So an older feature that you could use in the Control Panel through the clock/region/language settings was to set shortcuts for the language input on you computer's keyboard. This allowed me to shift through multiple languages by using combinations like...
  9. change input language

change input language: Hello, I just bought a hp Pavillion 360. Since my first language is Japanese, I tried to change the input language from English to Japanese. The basic language on display has been changed to Japanese successfully. However, I still have a difficulty in typing in Japanese. The...
  10. caps lock makes numbers type symbols

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    caps lock makes numbers type symbols: when i turn caps lock on, instead of the letters getting capitalized, the numbers get capitalized. if i have caps lock on and then type the number 2, it will appear as @....